A plea to boaters...

totoramona
Board Meister

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by totoramona »

There are 4000 homes in Summerland, 150 of which are lakefront. Less than 1%. They enjoy living on the lake 365 days of the year. The possibility of rare flooding is an inherent and assumed risk. The rest of us are not just being asked to be aware, or careful, or respectful, of potential wake action on their property. We are being asked joyfully forfeit the right to also enjoy the lake. It is an unnecessary request, targeting specifically those boaters who need a boat launch. Even if it's just a 14 ft aluminum fishing boat with a 10 horse engine.

I realize the severity of this flooding and I am empathetic to the damage it is causing. But I see a complete closure of boat launches as ineffective (what about all the marina boats) and unnecessary as there are ways to enjoy the lake that won't cause damage. It is never a good idea to try to take away people's rights. That causes the "us against them" backlash.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

JagXKR wrote:I can have horrible thoughts occasionally and in this topic I most certainly do. I hope that one of these ultramaroons hits a dead head. I have seen what can happen at relatively slow speeds decades ago while at the coast. High speed could be beyond serious injury and may include death. But maybe on their last dying breath they can proudly hold up their middle finger one last time.

you wish for someones death overcflooded property that can be fixed as new orleans proved .
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

WalterWhite wrote:I lay part of the blame for situations like this to occur because municipalities are too afraid of losing an almighty tourist's dollar that they refused to shut down the lake to motorized vessels, opting instead for cute YouTube fodder from a flowery mayor asking nicely while at the same time imploring visitors to open their wallets and keep the cash flowing - like, say uh, erm, um at boat rental companies.

Municipalities can not shut down the lake to motorized vessels. Control of engine size on lakes is the Provincial Ministry of Forests and Land, coincidentally, the same department that oversees control of lake levels all year long. If fingers are to be pointed, it should be in that direction, rather than a deflection of blame to the odd obnoxious jet skier.
Last edited by totoramona on Jun 8th, 2017, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

It's not just risk of damage to homes and private property. Wake waves can damage roads, public infrastructure, natural shoreline etc. Like someone posted earlier in this thread, in forest fire season we often see fire bans. Is it the 'right of some idiots' to use the forest how they damn well feel like it notwithstanding?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

tsayta wrote:It's not just risk of damage to homes and private property. Wake waves can damage roads, public infrastructure, natural shoreline etc. Like someone posted earlier in this thread, in forest fire season we often see fire bans. Is it the 'right of some idiots' to use the forest how they damn well feel like it notwithstanding?

No. But how often do you see a complete closure of crown land? Yes, a restriction of use, like no campfires, but not a complete closure. I think people would respect a restriction of use of motorized boats on the lake, like speed or proximity to shore.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

totoramona wrote:
tsayta wrote:It's not just risk of damage to homes and private property. Wake waves can damage roads, public infrastructure, natural shoreline etc. Like someone posted earlier in this thread, in forest fire season we often see fire bans. Is it the 'right of some idiots' to use the forest how they damn well feel like it notwithstanding?

No. But how often do you see a complete closure of crown land? Yes, a restriction of use, like no campfires, but not a complete closure. I think people would respect a restriction of use of motorized boats on the lake, like speed or proximity to shore.

How often? Not very often. Only in times of unprecedented risk and historic times. 2003 fires for example
Last edited by tsayta on Jun 8th, 2017, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

You had a foot of water in your basement ? For how long ?
If you had a foot in there , started pumping, and it kept coming back for two or three weeks, would it be a crisis for you then ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

tsayta wrote:
totoramona wrote:No. But how often do you see a complete closure of crown land? Yes, a restriction of use, like no campfires, but not a complete closure. I think people would respect a restriction of use of motorized boats on the lake, like speed or proximity to shore.

How often? Not very often. Only in times of unprecedented risk and historic times. 2003 fires for example

Yes. And the risk is assessed, agreed upon and implemented by the Provincial Ministry of Forests Lands and Resources across the board, not some ill thought out plea by some mayors and not others, closing some boat launches, not others, some boats and not others.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

totoramona wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:I lay part of the blame for situations like this to occur because municipalities are too afraid of losing an almighty tourist's dollar that they refused to shut down the lake to motorized vessels, opting instead for cute YouTube fodder from a flowery mayor asking nicely while at the same time imploring visitors to open their wallets and keep the cash flowing - like, say uh, erm, um at boat rental companies.

Municipalities can not shut down the lake to motorized vessels. Control of engine size on lakes is the Provincial Ministry of Forests and Land, coincidentally, the same department that oversees control of lake levels all year long. If fingers are to be pointed, it should be in that direction, rather than a deflection of blame to the odd obnoxious jet skier.

It's the municipalities responsibility to act on behalf of residents, and formal requests should have been made as such. Okanagan Lake, despite being under federal jurisdiction as a navigable waterway, managed provincially in conjunction with municipalities.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

totoramona wrote:

Clearly some users such as those in the latest reports of actions displayed by typical idioticus imbecilious are oblivious to those exact requests. Maybe it's because Mayor Sugarplum's shirt color posed a greater interest than his actual message.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

tsayta wrote:
totoramona wrote:No. But how often do you see a complete closure of crown land? Yes, a restriction of use, like no campfires, but not a complete closure. I think people would respect a restriction of use of motorized boats on the lake, like speed or proximity to shore.

totoramona wrote:Yes. And the risk is assessed, agreed upon and implemented by the Provincial Ministry of Forests Lands and Resources across the board, not some ill thought out plea by some mayors and not others, closing some boat launches, not others, some boats and not others.

Boat launches are municipally controlled - and Kelowna was the only municipality on Okanagan Lake that I understand did not officially close their boat launches. Simply not true - provincial ministries are in direct contact on an ongoing basis with local regional and district officials monitoring and adjusting plans of action as a joint effort.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Lot of energy by some people went int debating semantics... crisis or inconvenience? From the sublime to the .........
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

The Provincial Park boat launch at Soorimpt between Penticton and Summerland is open. There has been no request by the province to refrain from boating. There is absolutely no reason to keep a fishing boat off an 84 mile long lake.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Fishing boats, party barges, sailboats, jet skis, ski boats.... all different uses and purposes but all capable of going slowly, avoiding shorelines, being careful and respectful. Publicly shaming a person for being on the lake is wrong. In the last couple days I have seen sailboats, a fishing boat and one ski boat on the lake. Just sitting there. What's wrong with that?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

totoramona wrote:Fishing boats, party barges, sailboats, jet skis, ski boats.... all different uses and purposes but all capable of going slowly, avoiding shorelines, being careful and respectful. Publicly shaming a person for being on the lake is wrong. In the last couple days I have seen sailboats, a fishing boat and one ski boat on the lake. Just sitting there. What's wrong with that?

Bylaws, rules, directions etc keep the honest people honest. What's wrong with it is the small percentage that exist everywhere that ruin it for the masses and result in needing those same rules and laws because they lack the basic elements of common sense and respect for others.

Return to “Flooding 2017”