Airtanker Help?

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Airtanker Help?

Post by tsayta »

LTD is right. Snow pack melt is pretty close to average
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

XT225 wrote:
Ask the experts; no idea. Perhaps the Water treaty with the Americans has something to do with how much water the Province can release into the system; who knows. What is clear now is IF the dam had been opened wider during the Winter, nobody would likely be in this mess right now. Of course nobody also had a crystal ball and foresaw the Spring storms or late melting snowpack either. I wouldn't want to be the guy responsible for controlling things.

the rich greenbay crew have hired a lawyer and are working on class action on this already
Last edited by ferri on Jun 6th, 2017, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Castanet did an article on this - hilarious

still miss those planes - my Grandpa was part of building them. but I digress...... :topic:
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

So every year, including this year, we get told to conserve water and only irrigate on odd or even days blah blah blah. Yet in the most recent Mars news story and other articles they repeatedly state:
"It was suggested more water evaporates from the lake than would be taken out with constant irrigation."

Now I agree we shouldn't waste water, but perhaps this is a little bit of a "water tax" grab?

just my 2c

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... drain-lake
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

ferri wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/199498/Mars-won-t-drain-lake

Well this really made my day -- I've been grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat, since seeing it. I think it refers to this post viewtopic.php?f=116&t=72880&start=15#p2194752. :laugh: :yahoo: :spitcoffee:

If there is a drought this summer, and the lake level falls dangerously low, maybe we can resurrect this, and figure out how to get water back in and raise the lake's level.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

OldIslander wrote:
ferri wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/199498/Mars-won-t-drain-lake

Well this really made my day -- I've been grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat, since seeing it. I think it refers to this post viewtopic.php?f=116&t=72880&start=15#p2194752. :laugh: :yahoo: :spitcoffee:

If there is a drought this summer, and the lake level falls dangerously low, maybe we can resurrect this, and figure out how to get water back in and raise the lake's level.

The Martin Mars has a capacity of 27,000 litres of water. And, according to the EOC, it would take about 50,000 passes by the Martin Mars to lower the lake by a few centimetres.

Having thought about this a bit more, and will all due respect to the 'Central Okanagan Emergency Operation Centre', I'm afraid I must challenge their math. Their 50,000 passes (or skimming loads) with the Martin Mars, will only lower the lake by 0.15 inches or 3.81 mm or 0.38 cm (again, after blocking all creeks and streams running into the lake, and not factoring in evaporation...). We have to be precise with these things, you know....! :1422: :smt045
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

I can't believe this was even tabled for discussion.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

WalterWhite wrote:I can't believe this was even tabled for discussion.

I agree Walter.
Ridiculous that the fat butts at the table needed to be schooled.

It's far, far greater that water bombers, communal flushing or over saturating our ground water reservoirs can remedy..
When they compare the ridiculous ideas against evaporation, people tend to reply, "Well it can't hurt to add to the evaporation!".
They aren't talking in terms of combining.
They are talking in terms of irrelevance.
There will be more water taken off the lake through evaporation than anything human caused (other than blasting the damn dam). Evaporation does have an effect, but overall compared to the amount of water entering the lake in the past weeks, the amount is minuscule.
Adding an even smaller contribution via water bombers, over watering and communal flushing would be an utter waste of time, resources and an unnecessary risk to ground water as well as catchment's along the way back to the lake.

People need only refer to the data/numbers already given to see the real scope of this.
It's a waste of time and brain juice to think and rethink the issue.
It's bigger than our brains.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Graham Adder wrote:Adding an even smaller contribution via water bombers ..... It's a waste of time and brain juice to think and rethink the issue....

Sounds like 'sour grapes' to me -- they ignored your DC-10's and used my Martin Mars....! :raspberry:
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

OldIslander wrote:
Graham Adder wrote:Adding an even smaller contribution via water bombers ..... It's a waste of time and brain juice to think and rethink the issue....

Sounds like 'sour grapes' to me -- they ignored your DC-10's and used my Martin Mars....! :raspberry:

Sour grapes?
it's called a sense of reason.
It's called using logic.
Nothing to do with "their" choice of aircraft.
I'm hoping you meant that statement in jest, otherwise...
:135:

Just...
:135:
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

What if everyone went down to the lake and filled a glass full of water. Drive to Alberta, since you would be on the other side of the Great Divide and dump it out. Water flows east, no problem for us.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

rookie314 wrote:What if everyone went down to the lake and filled a glass full of water. Drive to Alberta, since you would be on the other side of the Great Divide and dump it out. Water flows east, no problem for us.

hahaha

to bad we don't have water powered cars! Free 'gas' for all
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

gman313 wrote:
rookie314 wrote:What if everyone went down to the lake and filled a glass full of water. Drive to Alberta, since you would be on the other side of the Great Divide and dump it out. Water flows east, no problem for us.

hahaha

to bad we don't have water powered cars! Free 'gas' for all

At the rate Fort McMunnee uses fresh water to make oil-money, we outta sell it to them.
They'd have our lake back to "full" in days.

Somewhere between 2 to 2.5 million barrels of oil are produced per day in the tar sands.
At a rate around one barrel of fresh water per barrel of oil produced, it doesn't take long to do this math.

between 2 and 2.5 million barrels of fresh water is pulled from our natural resource each day to produce oil for Fort McMunnee to sell back to us consumers at incredible profits...from our water....OURS.

Anyhow, that's a lot of wah-wah..

Return to “Flooding 2017”