How we can help drain the lake!!

Graham Adder
Guru

Re: How we can help drain the lake!!

Post by Graham Adder »

dogspoiler wrote:It is well within existing technology to install a system that would move the water out of Okanagan Lake, but what problems would happen downstream ?

...and who would be content to the increase in property taxes to pay for this new system?

We should have never tampered with Mother Nature. It's cost us trillions over the decades to deal with her wrath, yet we egomaniacs still think we can do as we please.

If only we had learned to live WITH rather than trying to control, we would have developed our technologies to suit a different agenda while still meeting our needs.

Idiots. 7,000,000,000 idiots, give or take a few worthy of inhabiting this big disc [icon_lol2.gif] .
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Doing my part today, filling my pool!
cfriedemann

Post by cfriedemann »

Why? This causes problems for those who live near the water. Part and parcel with having a "Lakefront home". This could happen...just, that it has been such a LONG TIME since the "Last incident". No one thought it would EVER happen. But insurance companies have a really long MEMORY. Meaning for those lake shore homes, that insurance is available for them.
We can't drain the lake. It is called "gravity". Over-watering lawns just add more water to the water table and goes back into the lake.
We cannot have water tankers scoop up water out of the lake, because the lake is full of debris such as underwater logs, floating logs, so that will take out a few planes.
What we need is warm weather and a warm breeze to evaporate water off the lake faster.(this is a double whammy because the snow melt will be faster as well.)
The dam in Penticton is fully open.
Perhaps if the bars start selling Low Cost BEER and the Coffee shops sell 2 Mega-cups of coffee and we all do our part...we can reduce the level in the lake. (until we use the toilet) and that water goes to the sanitary sewer system and finally into the lake.
It is what it is.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If everyone just filled every bucket and barrel they had around the yard they'd be doing their part. Then use the water to water shrubs, trees and bushes, hedges and other plants not normally getting a lot of water at the root base.

Might help?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

cfriedemann wrote: What we need is warm weather and a warm breeze to evaporate water off the lake faster.(this is a double whammy because the snow melt will be faster as well.)
Disagree - don't need warm weather to melt snow but cooler weather and no rain or wind. The lake will recede as the water is being let out giving everyone a breather before the rest of the melt comes.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Heavy rains are incoming after the next three days :200:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hey, could someone just reach down & pull the plug. lol :runforlife:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Queen K wrote:If everyone just filled every bucket and barrel they had around the yard they'd be doing their part. Then use the water to water shrubs, trees and bushes, hedges and other plants not normally getting a lot of water at the root base.

Might help?

5,600,000,000 litres / day

If we all use 5 gallon/20L buckets, that would take 280,000,000 buckets to keep up with one day.
To take the lake level down, we'd need to surpass that figure substantially

With three cities and additional communities on this lake, we're safe to use a figure of 280,000 people.

Each and every person accounted for would need to hand-bomb 1000 buckets per day to keep up.
To cause a draining affect on the lake, we'd need to add on a significant amount to that figure. Let's bolster it to 1200, 5 gallon buckets a day.

Now THAT sounds like a challenge!!!

I'm in!!!
We could be FAMOUS!!!

My good gawd my arms are gonna burn.
Someone call Guinness.
We're gonna need a lot of Guinness. :130:
Might as well call that world record place too. What was their name? :135:
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

GordonH wrote:Hey, could someone just reach down & pull the plug. lol :runforlife:

careful what you ask for gramps

*click*

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Queen K wrote:Heavy rains are incoming after the next three days :200:

sounds like a lyric

heavy rains are incoming after the next three days
my plan to hunker has me hunkerin' in oh so many ways
I gots my water, cans and jerky piled on a shelf
gots my pepto and my immodium so I don't :cuss: myself.

ohhhhhhhh...

join in here...
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

gonna be a lot of melt coming down this coming week, that's for sure
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

not looking good at all
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

You know, I've commented already on the beauty of this lake with no boat wakes disturbing the flat water.
I've already commented on my liking for the debris if it keeps boats off the water, noise levels down and opens opportunity for the healthier paddler crowd to own the lake for awhile.
What I have not commented on is my love of seeing the newly formed little eddies and backwaters along the shore.
I've not commented on how great it is to see ducks and geese and other birds taking advantage of natural shallows and easy pickin's, or the water sucking trees surrounded and looking like they're lovin' it.
The new waterlines forming along the edge of this lake give it a new look and feel.
I've noticed that our water's edge looks much like wood lake in many areas, kal lake in others. When nature creates the balance, it's a wondrous thing.
Kinsmen Park at the end of Wardlaw looks amazing. I love watching the birds splashing about and enjoying their version of Grand 88.
Catching the sun glistening just before sunset, if you position yourself just right it feels like a fantasy land. Light and water playing with their magic among the trees, with waterfowl splashing in backlit silhouette.
Gandalf?
Is that you?
Frodo?
What is this place?

So, saying not good when Mother Nature is doing her thing has me torn a bit.
I feel empathy for those suffering loss, angst and face new challenges, but on the other hand I can see and appreciate the beauty of nature and am in no rush to see it all fade back into the noisy madhouse I'm growing tired of.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Graham Adder wrote:gonna be a lot of melt coming down this coming week, that's for sure

Apparently it down to about 50 percent of snowpack.. Plus a flyover film showed bare spots starting to show in the high elevations... Sooo ....there is not so much left.
Still going to be a bit before it peaks..
Then the lake level will be sloooooowwwwww going down.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Flooding 2017”