Water Street flooding

grumpies daughter
Board Meister

Water Street flooding

Post by grumpies daughter »

So, what is going on here? Where are our City employees? Did the pump quit?
try to live your whole life west of the rockies
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Water Street flooding

Post by voice of reason »

where have the city employees been the entire time? why is there no sandbags along mill creek on the bridge end of hwy 97? are they waiting for the water to actually come up on the road so it is ministry of transportations responsibility? the city of kelowna is laying low these days. the city of west kelowna is doing much more for their community. the westbank first nations is doing much more for their community. kelowna not so much
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

hopefully they close water street to boats
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It was a backed up storm drain, not rising lake level. The water is gone now.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

This is exactly what Carole Gran wanted.
If you like it, next time, vote her in.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Hmmm...

Why would people from the past have named it "Water Street".

Hmmm...

:135:
swamp1967

Post by swamp1967 »

Anyone else recall that during the 1990 flooding, the City of Kelowna sealed up a number of storm drains located near the lake, so that they wouldn't back up and flood streets? I haven't seen that happening and I'm not sure why.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

swamp1967 wrote:Anyone else recall that during the 1990 flooding, the City of Kelowna sealed up a number of storm drains located near the lake, so that they wouldn't back up and flood streets? I haven't seen that happening and I'm not sure why.

How would sealing up the storm drains prevent flooding? That's what they are there for - to remove water from the road.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

swamp1967 wrote:Anyone else recall that during the 1990 flooding, the City of Kelowna sealed up a number of storm drains located near the lake, so that they wouldn't back up and flood streets? I haven't seen that happening and I'm not sure why.

They have been pumping for a about 3 weeks to lower the water table on land. They closed where the storm drains empty in the lake. Had they notall of Water and a bit of downtown would have standing water.
Tyler water runs down hill ...... If the storm drains fill up the lower end like Water St, it takes the next easiest route...like start pouring out of the vent holes in the manhole covers. Manhole covers are heavy , but in extreme storms like flash flooding, the lids can blow off and a fountain of water can come out several feet high.....then all hell breaks loose.
This is why turning taps on wont help, they are pumping to lower the water table on shore, adding even more defeats the purpose.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The City of Enderby pumps its entire storm drain system into the river even though the river is at a higher elevation than the storm drain on the other side of the dike. You should never have storm drains back up unless the designer was an idiot.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
swamp1967

Post by swamp1967 »

As I recalled, they sealed the manhole lids with some sort of material and welded them down, so they wouldn't lift up with the back pressure from the water not being able to exit out into the lake when the pipes backed up with rain water. Maybe I'm mistaken, but that was my recollection.

Return to “Flooding 2017”