Tax Rebate for Lakefront property occupiers??

Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Tax Rebate for Lakefront property occupiers??

Post by Terris »

phasyluck wrote:Remember the bone head who's house burned down in WK a few years back? He owned a notable underground business so to speak but didn't like the premiums he was being charged.....no insurance! Then he had the balls to plea on Global for provincial government bail outs, its gonna happen in this situation too.

He owned $10's of millions in heavy equipment but no house insurance??

I recall his wife asking for public help to replace her $30,000.00 china set.

Such hubris...

Graham Adder wrote: I'd also like to add that insurance should NOT be permitted to those who OBVIOUSLY are going to drive our rates up to pay for their 1st world misery.

If insurance companies allow them to insure in a flood prone zone, who do you think pays for that when the inevitable happens?

That's right. YOU and I.

Now, get back to work. We have elitists to support!
Just keep working
Just keep working

Exactly...

Like insurance companies, these elitist business owners have gotten used to having their ventures supported by the purchasing volume of the taxpaying masses.

At some point, it seems that they forget where they derive their high incomes from and, as seen here, in some cases, expect that they are somehow, more "deserving" than the serfs working for them...
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

"flood prone zone"? How can it be considered flood prone, when it's never happened before?
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

WalterWhite wrote:"flood prone zone"? How can it be considered flood prone, when it's never happened before?

never is a big word walt

think
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

So - where do you propose to relocate the greater developed area of Kelowna? I posted information on the differences between flood plain, flood level and flood construction level. As much as you like you prop yourself up with calling affected homeowners idiots for building on the flood plain - to even include Father Pandosy, our founding father - the development is not going away - think, not dream and wish.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

WalterWhite wrote:So - where do you propose to relocate the greater developed area of Kelowna? I posted information on the differences between flood plain, flood level and flood construction level. As much as you like you prop yourself up with calling affected homeowners idiots for building on the flood plain - to even include Father Pandosy, our founding father - the development is not going away - think, not dream and wish.

Since Kelowna has already been developed in the floodplain, changing now would be foolish.
With that said, taxpayers should not be on the hoof each time a flood happens. Those who have purchased property within the floodplain should have done their homework on that.
Taken suitable precautions to protect their investment with the proper types of insurance. If they don't, then to bad so sad

All it takes is 1 flood event to cause them to smarten up.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Father Pandosy was sure as :cuss: not my father.
Given his background I'd have great distrust of him and his intentions in the first place.
Bolster your own idols, but don't make claims of anything beyond that.
Founding father. Gimme a break.

Yeah, think.
To say this valley has NEVER seen flooding like this, is absurd.
You've got more grey matter in your bean than that.
The records only go back so far, and that isn't very far at all.
Glacier has posted info to TEACH us so we can LEARN from the past that in FACT at the end of the 1800's (not long ago) the Okanagan flooded enough to make Okanagan and Skaha lakes into one.
That's a wee bit higher than now, don't ya think Walt?
Don't ya think?
Just because they didn't record records on water level and inflow versus outflow doesn't mean we can't surmise that in fact the water has been higher than it is now. We have indeed had greater flood events than this in our past.

"If I had my wish" has been posted by me already. No need to bore everyone else bringing you back up to speed on that.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Ah yes I forgot - you don't recognize the white mans way of anything - least of which the first white settler. Still waiting for where you propose to relocate the greater downtown area of Kelowna. The designated flood plain extends all the way from the lake to Ziprick Rd. just so you have an idea of how much area you need to look for.

ETA: If you're seriously suggesting data from pre-1800's be taken into account, then also please include expected glacial coverage based on the last ice age - I'd hate to have my new driveway blocked by an errant berg that wasn't planned for.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

WalterWhite wrote:Ah yes I forgot - you don't recognize the white mans way of anything - least of which the first white settler. Still waiting for where you propose to relocate the greater downtown area of Kelowna. The designated flood plain extends all the way from the lake to Ziprick Rd. just so you have an idea of how much area you need to look for.

Lemme make this simple Walt.

What the water takes, the water takes.
Let the natural process dictate where we build/rebuild.
If the flooding takes the mill and the towers, then so be it. The mill and the towers get rebuilt somewhere new to a new standard.

Obviously
OBVIOUSLY, we are not going to relocate the downtown of Kelowna.
This "relocate Kelowna" is another one of your folk art painting Walt.
I've never said that, so why am I expected to answer that?

I've never stated anywhere that I don't recognize the "white man's" way of doing anything.
Are you a racist Walt?
Is that why you are doing a sly transition into that?
I determine right from wrong Walt.
The way things have been done in the past by YOUR generation Walt, has been wrong.
Before you came along, were subsequent generations of PEOPLE Walt, that did things wrong in devloping this country and setting rules and regulations.
It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure that one out.

............................THINKING.............................
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

GordonH wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:So - where do you propose to relocate the greater developed area of Kelowna? I posted information on the differences between flood plain, flood level and flood construction level. As much as you like you prop yourself up with calling affected homeowners idiots for building on the flood plain - to even include Father Pandosy, our founding father - the development is not going away - think, not dream and wish.

Since Kelowna has already been developed in the floodplain, changing now would be foolish.
With that said, taxpayers should not be on the hoof each time a flood happens. Those who have purchased property within the floodplain should have done their homework on that.
Taken suitable precautions to protect their investment with the proper types of insurance. If they don't, then to bad so sad

All it takes is 1 flood event to cause them to smarten up.

Suitable precautions have been taken - for decades. It's why Mission Creek is dyked, and flow controls were built at Skaha Lake. We're currently experiencing a never before flood event. Does that mean it will never happen again - no. Does that mean current planning and standards are to be tossed out the window and every new structure must now be placed 20' above ground on stilts?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Exactly what is "my generation" according to you?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

On second thought - don't waste your time Adder. Your opinion has absolutely zero merit with me. So, save yourself the time and effort of any further direct replies as I've decided to do the same.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

WalterWhite wrote:Suitable precautions have been taken - for decades. It's why Mission Creek is dyked, and flow controls were built at Skaha Lake. We're currently experiencing a never before flood event. Does that mean it will never happen again - no. Does that mean current planning and standards are to be tossed out the window and every new structure must now be placed 20' above ground on stilts?

Wrong suitable precautions, suitable personal precaution = proper flood insurance for the this type of flood.

Take a look at the flood of 1948, before you say never before.

Added later: are suggesting having Mill Creek & Okanagan Lake foreshore diked
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

The current flood surpassed the 1948 flood so yes, it is a never before event. Despite the current situation, the lake level is controlled, preventing large fluctuations and resulting damage on a regular basis - allowing communities to develop further - yes, even on a flood plain. Contrary to what some think - this is an anomaly. While there will be plenty of reflecting and studies with ultimately more stringent building requirements, the current flood level and associated high water mark will not be changed. Insurance guidelines related to flood related damage I'm sure will be overhauled also.

No, I'm not suggesting the lake be dyked - the outflow at Skaha makes it unnecessary. Many sections of Mill Creek have been dyked and reinforced years ago - mainly through the downtown area. What I think needs to be closely considered is the dredging of Mill and Mission Creeks. It used to be done on a fairly frequent basis many years ago, however other than a small partial section of Mission Creek that was dredged about 5-6 years ago, silt and gravel deposits have been accumulating and progressively reducing the capacity of fun-off.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

WalterWhite wrote:The current flood surpassed the 1948 flood so yes, it is a never before event. Despite the current situation, the lake level is controlled, preventing large fluctuations and resulting damage on a regular basis - allowing communities to develop further - yes, even on a flood plain. Contrary to what some think - this is an anomaly. While there will be plenty of reflecting and studies with ultimately more stringent building requirements, the current flood level and associated high water mark will not be changed. Insurance guidelines related to flood related damage I'm sure will be overhauled also.

Looking at this there are higher numbers:
http://www.obwb.ca/obwrid/docs/023_2000 ... n_Lake.pdf

Those numbers did not have resident sandbagging or placing those long orange items to hold back the water.
I'd be curious to know the actual lake depth without all the flood prevention currently in place.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Not seeing any higher numbers - where did you see higher numbers in that report. All the numbers I saw referenced to flooding in the early 1900's show it to be almost a full meter below the current flood level we're experiencing. Very interesting info btw - you should also post it in this thread as it's more relevant:
viewtopic.php?f=116&t=72990

Return to “Flooding 2017”