44511
47128

Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby Woodenhead » Aug 11th, 2017, 2:01 pm

The 3 best ways to curtail human caused forest fires are:

  • 1. Education
  • 2. Enforcement
  • 3. Bans

Guess which one costs the least?

We'd need 1 conservation officer per 50sq/km (or less, and patrolling 24/7) in order to catch everyone. That ain't happening. (although I'm all for it happening)

Bans are pretty much the same thing as laws. We wouldn't need laws, either, if it wasn't for idiots.
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Politics without principle. Your bias suits you.
User avatar
Woodenhead
Guru
 
Posts: 5074
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 839 posts
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:47 pm

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby Sparki55 » Aug 11th, 2017, 2:35 pm

ferri wrote:Just so you know:

The average light off temperature at which the catalytic converter begins to function ranges from 400 to 600 degrees F. The normal operating temperature can range up to 1,200 to 1,600 degrees F. But as the amount of pollutants in the exhaust go up, so does the converter's operating temperature.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm

Yes, that is how hot they get. They also have a heat shield around them and are tucked up near the engine.

gman313 likes this post.
Sparki55
Fledgling
 
Posts: 232
Likes: 289 posts
Liked in: 147 posts
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby Sparki55 » Aug 11th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Catsumi wrote:May 1st, 2016, 4 P.M. smoke is spotted along an ATV trail near Ft. MAc

10:00 P.M. Emeegency declared, people start to evacuate

Cause: ATV on a trail normally used, however conditions were very warm, dry and dusty landscape and winds at 70 km

Cost: 5 billion bucks and counting

Area burned: 600,000 hectares

Source: Ryerson University study of disaster response. 2016


The atv either don't not have a spark arrester or heat shields. That or the operator tossed something lot while riding.

Proper enforcement of good functioning toys won't cause an issue.
Sparki55
Fledgling
 
Posts: 232
Likes: 289 posts
Liked in: 147 posts
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby Catsumi » Aug 12th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Sparki55 wrote:
Catsumi wrote:May 1st, 2016, 4 P.M. smoke is spotted along an ATV trail near Ft. MAc

10:00 P.M. Emeegency declared, people start to evacuate

Cause: ATV on a trail normally used, however conditions were very warm, dry and dusty landscape and winds at 70 km

Cost: 5 billion bucks and counting

Area burned: 600,000 hectares

Source: Ryerson University study of disaster response. 2016


The atv either don't not have a spark arrester or heat shields. That or the operator tossed something lot while riding.

Proper enforcement of good functioning toys won't cause an issue.




"Proper enforcement of good functioning toys"... Not entirely clear on what you meant by this, but if it was to hire thousands of inspectors at all trail entrances, it would be a mighty expensive undertaking.

Not since biblical times has manna fallen from the skies free of charge.

It is just easier to stay out of the bush now. It's dangerous. Riding toys can wait for awhile, yes??
I can and WILL spray mercaptans all over your ill-considered & vacuous statements.
Don't bring peashooters to a gunfight.
User avatar
Catsumi
Board Meister
 
Posts: 366
Likes: 613 posts
Liked in: 241 posts
Joined: May 24th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby Sparki55 » Aug 12th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Not thousands of people hired. I'm suggesting we triple the force from 6 to 18; maybe 30. At that capacity, anyone in the bush will see a conservation officer every trip!
Sparki55
Fledgling
 
Posts: 232
Likes: 289 posts
Liked in: 147 posts
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby tsayta » Aug 14th, 2017, 7:20 pm

I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
User avatar
tsayta
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2635
Likes: 1082 posts
Liked in: 1337 posts
Joined: Feb 1st, 2006, 9:25 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby sulchie » Aug 15th, 2017, 3:07 pm

They should release his name and if he got a $767 fine. If he didn't then it must be ok to be out there and I'm going for a rip.
sulchie
Fledgling
 
Posts: 115
Likes: 16 posts
Liked in: 41 posts
Joined: Nov 28th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby 62silverado » Aug 17th, 2017, 10:19 am

Was out camping this previous Sunday to Wednesday and as i said previously had spoke with a CO to clarify ban. No atvs, no dirt bikes, no off-roading, period. So why is it then the Fire Wardens (yes, I spoke with two) are telling people its ok as long as you stay on more of the main roads ????? Again, I repeat "You cant fix stupid".
This was my whole point about bans and as I see here most people agree there are morons who care nothing about the rules or laws we are to abide by. So you are saying its ok to restrict the masses for the actions of a few idiots. I believe that is referred to as "oppression".
That also brings me back to my point of why is everyone still out on the lake? If its so possible for an atver to zip up some secluded road to have a cigarette or a camp fire why is it unrealistic to think a boater wont beach it to have a dart or a wiener roast along our hundreds of miles of secluded shore line ?
As I said across the board ban ?

Sparki55 likes this post.
62silverado
 
Posts: 12
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Jun 17th, 2009, 1:15 pm

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby TylerM4 » Aug 17th, 2017, 11:25 am

62silverado wrote:That also brings me back to my point of why is everyone still out on the lake? If its so possible for an atver to zip up some secluded road to have a cigarette or a camp fire why is it unrealistic to think a boater wont beach it to have a dart or a wiener roast along our hundreds of miles of secluded shore line ?
As I said across the board ban ?


Stretching things don't you think?

Off road vehicles can cause fires in addition to the humans riding them. Sparks, hot exhaust, etc.
Beaches are usually more wet/humid and less prone to fire and boats don't start forest fires.

By your logic - nobody should be allowed to leave their house.

2 people like this post.
TylerM4
Übergod
 
Posts: 1062
Likes: 255 posts
Liked in: 772 posts
Joined: Feb 27th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby Poindexter » Aug 17th, 2017, 11:38 am

Suppose it doesn't get much more "off road" than a boat on the lake but using this logic all hiking, fishing, camping of any kind and pretty much anything outdoors would be banned. Dont think it's plausable at all and agree, that's taking it waaaay too far.

Sparki55 likes this post.
User avatar
Poindexter
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4755
Likes: 2628 posts
Liked in: 3155 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby 62silverado » Aug 17th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Apparently the Lake country fire was started on some other kind of beach, not a wet/humid and less prone to fire beach ?
Hikers smoke, mountain bikers smoke, boats can stop along the shore to do whatever they please. That is my point of disagreeing with the ban. Your banning one group when there are several groups with the potential of starting a wild fire.
I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that some people can be so naive in thinking that only off-roaders are the only user group putting our forests at risk ? Before you reply actually give it more thought.
I believe I should have paid more attention to what johnny24 wrote.
"You're trying to apply facts to your argument? You have to understand your audience here.
Pointless, Cheers.

Sparki55 likes this post.
62silverado
 
Posts: 12
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Jun 17th, 2009, 1:15 pm

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby sulchie » Aug 17th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Dirtbikes and quads are a luxury item, this ban is really no different then if they closed the ski hill because of no snow. Nobody has to be out there right so everyone should stay home and read a book or do yard work or work on the bike, and then go for an 8 hour rip when they lift the ban.
sulchie
Fledgling
 
Posts: 115
Likes: 16 posts
Liked in: 41 posts
Joined: Nov 28th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby tsayta » Aug 17th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Lol. The ultimate oxymoron. 'smoking hikers'.
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
User avatar
tsayta
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2635
Likes: 1082 posts
Liked in: 1337 posts
Joined: Feb 1st, 2006, 9:25 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby TylerM4 » Aug 17th, 2017, 4:13 pm

62silverado wrote:Apparently the Lake country fire was started on some other kind of beach, not a wet/humid and less prone to fire beach ?
Hikers smoke, mountain bikers smoke, boats can stop along the shore to do whatever they please. That is my point of disagreeing with the ban. Your banning one group when there are several groups with the potential of starting a wild fire.
I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that some people can be so naive in thinking that only off-roaders are the only user group putting our forests at risk ? Before you reply actually give it more thought.
I believe I should have paid more attention to what johnny24 wrote.
"You're trying to apply facts to your argument? You have to understand your audience here.
Pointless, Cheers.


It's about managing risk and applying common sense. It's not about wonton banning of things because they banned other things. Has there ever been a boating ban evoked anywhere in North America due to wildfire risk? I suspect there's a reason why I've never heard of such a thing. I own an ATV but don't own a boat yet I'm amazed you don't see the logic behind this.

Also - Apparently you only paid attention to the speculation and rumors. LC fire has since been confirmed as arson by RCMP. It started near the ROAD that happens to be about 50' away from the beach/lake.
TylerM4
Übergod
 
Posts: 1062
Likes: 255 posts
Liked in: 772 posts
Joined: Feb 27th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Postby TylerM4 » Aug 17th, 2017, 4:21 pm

sulchie wrote:Dirtbikes and quads are a luxury item, this ban is really no different then if they closed the ski hill because of no snow. Nobody has to be out there right so everyone should stay home and read a book or do yard work or work on the bike, and then go for an 8 hour rip when they lift the ban.



So you are proposing a backcountry travel ban? It's been done in the past and has some merit.

Your analogy is horrible. Backcountry ban is to reduce risk - closing the ski hill is because nobody can ski so there's no point having it open. VERY different.

Sparki55 likes this post.
TylerM4
Übergod
 
Posts: 1062
Likes: 255 posts
Liked in: 772 posts
Joined: Feb 27th, 2014, 4:22 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Fire Watch 2017

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest