Fire danger

Frisk
Guru

Re: Fire danger

Post by Frisk »

I don't know how you'd be able to identify new fires with smoke this thick. Seems like a nasty combination with the wind.
Wildfire 3

Post by Wildfire 3 »

By smell....fresh smoke > big smoke :up:
Deployed - Destroyed - Enjoyed
Oliver 2015
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Not only campfires are banned in Vernon parks and public places, but barbecues are forbidden as well.

Vernon Fire Rescue Services says fire appliances, such as portable barbecues or camp stoves that use liquefied or solid fuel, are prohibited in all city parks and open spaces due to the extreme risk of wildfire in the region.

Liquefied and solid fuels include seasoned wood, charcoal briquettes, propane or natural gas.

The ban remains in place until further notice.

The maximum fine for a fire in a public place is $200. A summary conviction for any infraction in the park could result in a maximum fine of $10,000.

The ban does not extend to barbecues on private property.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203234
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:-X Time to ban cats too. He was probably smoking. [icon_lol2.gif]

Fire officials: Raging Central Washington blaze started by a cat
http://komonews.com/news/local/fire-off ... d-by-a-cat
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Supposed to be some very strong winds just south of the border today. EC says only 20km here in kelowna though.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

There was crazy wind in the Chilcotin yesterday. >30km/h >30 degrees <30% humidity. The perfect formula for extreme fire activity.

wow2.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Most of the southern half of the Kamloops fire district is only "high" right now. I suspect that this is in large part because of the smoke keeping the temperatures down. Remember, the high-pressure system that was over us two days ago was supposed to create 40 degree heat. Even higher in the Fraser Canyon. And yet no one in the Kamloops fire district rose above 36.

draug6.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Glacier wrote:Most of the southern half of the Kamloops fire district is only "high" right now. I suspect that this is in large part because of the smoke keeping the temperatures down. Remember, the high-pressure system that was over us two days ago was supposed to create 40 degree heat. Even higher in the Fraser Canyon. And yet no one in the Kamloops fire district rose above 36.

draug6.png

Usually when glacier posts this chart, it rains a few days later
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

tsayta wrote:Usually when glacier posts this chart, it rains a few days later

Well there's actually a chance of showers tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night on the immediate eastern side of the Coast Mountains (Fraser Canyon, Chilcotin, Smithers).

I took a picture of the moon tonight because it's red from the smoke...

IMG_3462.JPG
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I'm fairly certain the fire situation in the cariboo will calm down quite a bit starting Sunday. The forecasted rain for that day looks widespread. The proceeding cooler temperatures will help as well.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Yup, I agree. Yesterday was probably the peak extreme fire danger in the Cariboo. 28 of 29 weather stations were extreme! One station short of a shutout! There just had to be that one station east of Anahim Lake way up on top of some mountain at 1600m elevation that ruined it for everyone else!

dr-aug9.png

BTW, the fire danger rating forecast shows that the Quesnel-Nazko area (northeast part of the Cariboo) will get hit with rain dropping the rating down to moderate, but the western areas aren't expected to get much if any rain.
- Douglas Murray
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

The rain forecasted and lower temps won't put the fire out but will reduce the fire behavior so we won't be seeing the explosive growth we did in the past. Might give the front line people a chance to do some controlled burns and get these fires under control....so long as there either no or favorable wind.
Calling for below ave temps for the following week as well in the Penticton area. Told you..have to book my holidays to get a weather change....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

There's some substantial winds forecasted for the cariboo tomorrow ahead of the rain tomorrow night.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Frisk wrote:There's some substantial winds forecasted for the cariboo tomorrow ahead of the rain tomorrow night.

... and I see the remnants of last nights spark show over northern Oregon tracking right into tomorrow nights showers. I'm not going to be too surprised to see the forecasts evolve a bit in the next few hours.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
cooldude
Fledgling

Post by cooldude »

My post, copied and pasted from another thread:

There are conflicting reports as to the amount of precipitation between the Weather Office and the Weather Network. My sources are indicating, in the Kamloops area to the west, maybe 1-4mm, best chance Saturday night to Sunday. That will barely get through the canopy in most of the areas. A bit more forecasted in the Okanagan, and even less in the Cariboo.

Temps cooling off to mid to high 20's starting on Sunday. No real significant precipitation for the next to weeks. The incidents in question will need at least 30+ mm to have a significant impact, before we will see more progress than what has already occurred. Basically, we need a good ol' costal drenching. Not going to happen short term.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”