Williams Lake

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Williams Lake

Post by maryjane48 »

cbc radio in that area is all fire news now . its goood to have cbc for times like this :130:
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

12 thousand in city plus another 12 thousand surrounding the city for a total of 24 thousand evacuated. It was absolute gridlock. Took 3 hours to get to 100 Mile House on a mostly 4 lane highway that should take 1 hour. Then, they had to take the small 2 lane highway 24 over to Little Fort. Then merge in with the highway 5 traffic to get to Kamloops. It took all night, and it's normally a 3 hour drive from Williams Lake to Kamloops, even going highway 24 way.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4207323
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Add Lake Country evacuees to that stream and it's all Hell in BC this year.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

maryjane48 wrote:cbc radio in that area is all fire news now . its goood to have cbc for times like this :130:

Yep (and I like CBC all the time not just in times of distress)
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

fires.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

^^ It looks like Lakes of Fire from Hell. Dante anyone?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Here's what it looked like as everyone was leaving...

evacuatingWL.jpg
- Douglas Murray
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Glacier wrote:Here's what it looked like as everyone was leaving...

evacuatingWL.jpg

IF there is any possible way you can leave an area when you are on Alert as opposed to Order, wouldn't it just make more sense just do it? Why wait til there are hundreds and hundreds of vehicles, on order, trying to escape a raging wildfire on one or two roads out. IF you are put on alert, and you are all packed up and ready to roll, my vote is roll! I would have to just grab the furries and go before the other thousands of people are doing the same thing. I know there are extenuating circumstances that could make that move a very last minute thing for some people but for the majority it just makes so much more sense to leave.

Fires as we have learned are completely unpredictable. The wind can change direction in a nano-second and close off one or more of the planned escape routes then there are even more people on fewer roads. There are so many intangibles that need to be considered.

If you've been put on alert and especially if it is a monster fire like this one I don't think there is anything more YOU can do. My thought is to let the pro's do their jobs and if your place is going to get hit you can't stop it at that point, but you can save yourself some panic and fear and get out in a bit more orderly fashion and actually make a bit of a plan.

Just my humble opinion and having had friends stuck in traffic jams trying to evacuate they have said NEVER AGAIN....when the alert is sounded for them they will be packed and out of there. If nothing happens, be thankful and just return home.
Last edited by dle on Jul 19th, 2017, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

wlfire.jpg
- Douglas Murray
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Glacier wrote:12 thousand in city plus another 12 thousand surrounding the city for a total of 24 thousand evacuated. It was absolute gridlock. Took 3 hours to get to 100 Mile House on a mostly 4 lane highway that should take 1 hour. Then, they had to take the small 2 lane highway 24 over to Little Fort. Then merge in with the highway 5 traffic to get to Kamloops. It took all night, and it's normally a 3 hour drive from Williams Lake to Kamloops, even going highway 24 way.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4207323

I posted a reply to this post yesterday but see I accidentally attached it to a different one by you Glacier - I'll just copy it here where it should have been!

IF there is any possible way you can leave an area when you are on Alert as opposed to Order, wouldn't it just make more sense just do it? Why wait til there are hundreds and hundreds of vehicles, on order, trying to escape a raging wildfire on one or two roads out. IF you are put on alert, and you are all packed up and ready to roll, my vote is roll! I would have to just grab the furries and go before the other thousands of people are doing the same thing. I know there are extenuating circumstances that could make that move a very last minute thing for some people but for the majority it just makes so much more sense to leave.

Fires as we have learned are completely unpredictable. The wind can change direction in a nano-second and close off one or more of the planned escape routes then there are even more people on fewer roads. There are so many tangibles that need to be considered.

If you've been put on alert and especially if it is a monster fire like this one I don't think there is anything more YOU can do. My thought is to let the pro's do their jobs and if your place is going to get hit you can't stop it at that point, but you can save yourself some panic and fear and get out in a bit more orderly fashion and actually make a bit of a plan.

Just my humble opinion and having had friends stuck in traffic jams trying to evacuate they have said NEVER AGAIN....when the alert is sounded for them they will be packed and out of there. If nothing happens, be thankful and just return home.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I may be wrong about this but I think it can affect your insurance claim if you leave prior to there being an evacuation order.

Those who are ordered out are eligible to claim expenses for things like hotels, meals, gas and pet care. But that may not apply to folks who leave prior to the order.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Merry wrote:I may be wrong about this but I think it can affect your insurance claim if you leave prior to there being an evacuation order.

Those who are ordered out are eligible to claim expenses for things like hotels, meals, gas and pet care. But that may not apply to folks who leave prior to the order.

interesting point Merry! I hadn't heard anything about this but would be a good thing to look into. That would certainly explain why so many people choose to wait and end up caught in the jams....
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

dle wrote:
Merry wrote:I may be wrong about this but I think it can affect your insurance claim if you leave prior to there being an evacuation order.

interesting point Merry! I hadn't heard anything about this but would be a good thing to look into. That would certainly explain why so many people choose to wait and end up caught in the jams....

Out of curiosity I just called an insurance company and asked this question - sounds like you are correct Merry. I was told that if you leave during the alert, before being actually ordered out, you would be responsible for your own hotels and emergency services etc.

Would explain why so many people choose to wait and get caught up in the chaos.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

^BUT if you register with the evacuation centre, you get food vouchers and money for accommodations.

If my dad were to do it over again, he would not have left earlier, but rather, later... or at the very least taken the Dog Creek Road to avoid all the traffic.

The people that waited until the next day to leave didn't have any line-up problems.
- Douglas Murray
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Glacier wrote:^BUT if you register with the evacuation centre, you get food vouchers and money for accommodations.

If my dad were to do it over again, he would not have left earlier, but rather, later... or at the very least taken the Dog Creek Road to avoid all the traffic.

The people that waited until the next day to leave didn't have any line-up problems.

So to clarify Glacier, it sounds to me like you saying that even if you leave early, on Alert, not on Order, IF you register WITH THE Evac centre you CAN get food vouchers & $$ for accommodations? That kind of sounds the opposite of what the insurance company told me. They were pretty specific that you had to be under Order to leave in order to get any emergency services $$ so I am a bit confused (nothing new!)

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”