Smokanagan - again

mpadt

Re: Smokanagan - again

Post by mpadt »

Never mind...i found your map. So, this is all from Warshington? No winds though, so why is there ash falling here from it?
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

mpadt wrote:Would you kindly repost the map? I xant seem to find it.

The only thing that ever freaks me out is when people suggest it isn't appropriate to ask questions.

Here:

Diamond-sat.jpg

The smoke and ash is coming from the Diamond Creek fire in Washington State. Nothing to do with hwy 33, Big White, or even BC - at the moment.

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=74235
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Aug 29th, 2017, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

You know that you're living in the okanagan when raining ash is the closest thing to actual rain in over 2 months.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#205366

Castanet is "trying to find out" where the ash is coming from. Look at Drip_Torches map will ya please.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Queen K wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-205366-1-.htm#205366

Castanet is "trying to find out" where the ash is coming from. Look at Drip_Torches map will ya please.

LoL... yesterday we have people complaining that there is no insight or information on the Firewatch forum, so I go out of my way today, to try and prep people for what's coming, and no-one can see it.

Oh well, After re-reading the diamond creek fire thread, I'm going to go ahead and say, I think I'm starting to get a handle on this stuff. May-be I should take an S-100 course and see how far I can go.

:1422:

Oh and PS: Radar suggests it should stop snowing soon.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You might be a good candidate for fire suppression training too, maybe let the govt know, k?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

For those inquiring about how the ash gets here with no wind. Some of these fires elevate smoke and ash to 10,000 feet plus. Just as many of you seen on the Philpot fire the other day. The ash is carried on prevailing air currents at high altitudes and slowly falls far away from the fires.

For example we just got home from Sheridan Lake on Hwy 24. A few weeks back the Elephant Fire (Cache creek) took a run. It was raining ash on us 60 km away.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

trapp wrote:For those inquiring about how the ash gets here with no wind. Some of these fires elevate smoke and ash to 10,000 feet plus. Just as many of you seen on the Philpot fire the other day. The ash is carried on prevailing air currents at high altitudes and slowly falls far away from the fires.

For example we just got home from Sheridan Lake on Hwy 24. A few weeks back the Elephant Fire (Cache creek) took a run. It was raining ash on us 60 km away.

I remember that.we were there too
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Gross?
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You have to ask? :135:
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

tsayta wrote:
trapp wrote:For those inquiring about how the ash gets here with no wind. Some of these fires elevate smoke and ash to 10,000 feet plus. Just as many of you seen on the Philpot fire the other day. The ash is carried on prevailing air currents at high altitudes and slowly falls far away from the fires.

I remember that.we were there too

Elephant Hill has jumped the northeast containment lines tonight. Here's a picture from today taken from Green Lake.

GreenLake.JPG
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

*bleep*
WW
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Seen that picture posted also. Winds forecast for next couple of days. Mostly they seem to die down late evening and there is good overnight recovery. Hopefully that corner near Pressy Lake does not expand too much.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

mpadt wrote:Would you kindly repost the map? I xant seem to find it.

Sorry, mpadt, I've been AFK since I last posted. (Away From Keyboard)

Here you go:

Link to bookmark: https://hwp-viz.gsd.esrl.noaa.gov/smoke/index.html#

Screenshots I made:

All credit goes to Drip_Torch, for originally posting a link to this site in the Diamond Creek Fire thread. Very cool site - thanks dood. :]
Your bias suits you.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

There is actual blue sky out there today. :yahoo: Which means soaring hot temperatures :200: but at least we won't be breathing in ash/smoke. And for who knows how long.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”