Donations to assist evacuees

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Donations to assist evacuees

Post by Queen K »

I notice that they are asking for donations at Nester's today for the Red Cross.
Does any money actually reach the evacuees? What is the Red Cross actually doing?

And since the Salvation Army is hosting the evacuee registration centers, don't they need the cash more?

Is there a demand for donations of goods and is a place set up anywhere to do so?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Donations to assist evacuees

Post by Liquidnails »

You can get some info here:
http://www.redcross.ca/about-us/red-cro ... heir-homes

Generally, donating cash to a charity goes a lot farther than donating goods directly, unless you know exactly what is needed and there is a way to organize and properly distribute the goods. Nobody needs dirty old clothes and cans of soup.

I know the SA has been feeding a lot of people, but I thought it was the Red Cross doing all the registration.
JennParker

Post by JennParker »

Queen K wrote:I notice that they are asking for donations at Nester's today for the Red Cross.
Does any money actually reach the evacuees? What is the Red Cross actually doing?

And since the Salvation Army is hosting the evacuee registration centers, don't they need the cash more?

Is there a demand for donations of goods and is a place set up anywhere to do so?

I was wondering the same thing. I have 6 bags of kids clothes and some adult stuff and was wondering if I can donate it directly to these people.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

JennParker wrote:I was wondering the same thing. I have 6 bags of kids clothes and some adult stuff and was wondering if I can donate it directly to these people.

Contact a local emergency evacuation center or Food Bank and ask what they need.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Liquidnails wrote:You can get some info here:
http://www.redcross.ca/about-us/red-cro ... heir-homes

Generally, donating cash to a charity goes a lot farther than donating goods directly, unless you know exactly what is needed and there is a way to organize and properly distribute the goods. Nobody needs dirty old clothes and cans of soup.

I know the SA has been feeding a lot of people, but I thought it was the Red Cross doing all the registration.

Sorry but people are usually smarter than this. And for the evacuees who lost everything in their closets, used clothing can be the best thing until new replacements can be bought. I have nothing against used clothing, God knows I have enough beautiful things myself.

And what is wrong with cans of soup? If you're in a motel with a kitchenette trying to make the emergency funds stretch, for some cans of *unexpired* soup can be a God send.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Then bring your used clothing to the sally ann, and they'll get it to those who need it.

Every newspaper story I have read regarding this has had interviews with emergency support services managers and volunteers, and they have all said the same thing... Donate money, not goods. During the fort mac fire, literal tons of clothing and other donations did no good, because people there was no need for a lot of the stuff, and there was no way to store or distribute the items that people actually did need.

I definitely respect and encourage the desire to help, but it's best to do so in the most useful way. Call around and find out what is needed by whom.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3412511/how-t ... sponsibly/
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I actually agree with the money aspect of things, I just don't like the idea that everything else is not needed.

I expect that the thousands of evacuees, refugees really, would like some more help to allow their evac service cheques to stretch. That's all I'm saying.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

I know that diapers, pet food and common toiletries are items that have been commonly requested by those in Ashcroft and Princeton.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#201944

The gist of this story is to NOT donate goods but give money to the Red Cross and Salvation Army.

But where is the profit if people give directly? Sorry I'm being a freaking cow about this, and realize there is no present place to store things safely, but it used to be different with people being able to go through stuff and decide for themselves what they need for goods.

What does the Red Cross physically DO here? Does anyone know what they provide? The cots? The what?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I wonder if the evacuees get certificates from the Salvation Army to "shop" their thrift stores.

The are FULL of donated stuff. Full. The back is full, the shelves are full, the freakin' clothes racks are full. And more pours in every day they are open.

And if the other thrift stores, heck there are six in Rutland ALONE, get into the spirit of things, those certificates would be honoured in their establishments.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

I saw a story on the news about some people in Kamloops who worked with a local hotel to set up a donation collection and distribution centre for the evacuees. Everything from toiletries and clothes, to toys, food and diapers etc... The evacuees were very happy and thankful because many said they couldn't afford to wait for a cheque from the Red Cross. They needed these supplies right away.

Of course, It's understandable that donating physical stuff can create problems. You need to get people to sort through it all and find a place to store it, then distribute it and so on. And there are some people who donate junk or dirty clothes, which then means it has to be disposed of.

I heard that there was a significant amount of donated money left over after the Fort Mac fire. The Red Cross was obligated to use that money in Fort Mac, so they opened themselves a fancy, permanent office. After hearing that story, I have stopped giving money to the Red Cross and find other ways to donate, where more of my money will go to those who actually need it.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Heading down to salvation army with a load of donations at noon
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Tsayta, how did that go? What are they looking for other than say "cash."
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Clothing, toys, coolers, cell phone chargers just kind of general stuff. They are gearing up there pretty good. Lots of williams lake folks are coming in. Just too crowded in Kamloops
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
willmath

Post by willmath »

Here in the Central Okanagan, registration is being done by the Volunteers of Emergency Support Services. Emergency food, clothing and accommodation is provided to any evacuees in need, funded by the Emergency Management BC. ESS is also hard at work setting up Group Lodging to be prepared for evacuees that have no where to stay. None of what you see and here happens by chance. Often much of the needed work is organized by people in your community = in other words, people like you. Maybe you work full time - how about a shift on a weekend or an early evening. Can't lift, we'll make sure you don't. Can you listen to a lonely scared evacuee - we've had a thousand thru Kelowna's doors in the last few days. In other words - there is something for everyone to help with. And that is just ESS --- lots of other agencies are looking for help.

When items are donated, it takes volunteers an amazing amount of time to sort thru the items, more volunteers to distribute those items, and ... while the evacuees are out of their homes, where do they keep the donated items. Often their cars are full of their prized belongings. Needed items will be solicited by media releases.

Donations to the Salvation Army help in feeding all the firefighters, emergency responders, volunteers etc.

As well as monetary donations, again I suggest that you think about volunteering. ESS volunteers here have been working flat out since the floods in May, followed by the Truswell Apartment fires and now the evacuees from the Caribou. ESS operated 24/7, not just during these large events, helping your neighbors all year round. The reception centre is located at the Salvation Army Church, Sutherland and Burtch. Open 11 am - 8 pm (just scaled back from 24 hours a day) Drop in and leave your name - you'll be welcome. May not be able to use you right away, but we're scheduling shifts (and offering training) Would love to meet you !

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”