Declare fireban when risk is high

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Declare fireban when risk is high

Post by maryjane48 »

well whats stopping you ?. grab you fire pit and head out . roast some marshmellos hotdogs. have grand ole time . . when done post pics so we can see how safe they are . proof is in the pics i always say :130:
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglob ... vice%3Damp

according to the fire centre in bc campfires are one of few causes by humans .
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Meanwhile another fire in kelowna, started in some bushes. These fires aren't starting themselves. Some idiot prob tossed their butt. What is it going to take before people get it?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... closes-hwy
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

theres always some homeless folks hanging out in those bushes I'm leaning more towards that
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

maryjane48 wrote:well whats stopping you ?. grab you fire pit and head out . roast some marshmellos hotdogs. have grand ole time . . when done post pics so we can see how safe they are . proof is in the pics i always say :130:

A fire ban is stopping us. That is what this whole thread is about.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I checked the stats for 2016 for fires in B.C. (Google wildfires, 2016 in B.C.)

More than one half were caused by bipedals by one method or another.

On May 24, 2017, wildfires were raging in the Cariboo, caused by lightning. The forecast at that time was no rain in the foreseeable future (for once they were correct). Since then, more fires roared through our forests and communities, some caused by humans.

A fireban was at last declared on July 7, a six week delay. Why? Why so late in the game? That is the whole and complete reason this thread was begun.

We are told daily that this is the "new normal". In that case, why not have fire restriction bans earlier rather than later? We must and should get ahead of what is inevitable.

I have emailed our MLA, Eric Foster, to ask that this distressing matter be examined and changed. He responded in a quick and positive return email. I hope something good comes out of this.

Fire season used to be called "summer" and I am old enough to remember beautiful ones. Fires did happen but not with the certainty and hideousness that now prevail, and heartbreakingly, we caused some of them.

Will you not join me in asking authorities to rectify the long delays in declaring firebans?

Thanks for taking the time to read this plea.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Catsumi wrote:I checked the stats for 2016 for fires in B.C. (Google wildfires, 2016 in B.C.)

More than one half were caused by bipedals by one method or another.

On May 24, 2017, wildfires were raging in the Cariboo, caused by lightning. The forecast at that time was no rain in the foreseeable future (for once they were correct). Since then, more fires roared through our forests and communities, some caused by humans.

A fireban was at last declared on July 7, a six week delay. Why? Why so late in the game? That is the whole and complete reason this thread was begun.

We are told daily that this is the "new normal". In that case, why not have fire restriction bans earlier rather than later? We must and should get ahead of what is inevitable.

I have emailed our MLA, Eric Foster, to ask that this distressing matter be examined and changed. He responded in a quick and positive return email. I hope something good comes out of this.

Fire season used to be called "summer" and I am old enough to remember beautiful ones. Fires did happen but not with the certainty and hideousness that now prevail, and heartbreakingly, we caused some of them.

Will you not join me in asking authorities to rectify the long delays in declaring firebans?

Thanks for taking the time to read this plea.

Doesn't answer how many fires would have been stopped by a camp fire ban, but I assume you'll give up your high risk activities as well?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

A fireban protocol has been a pre-existing tool for many years now. It would be nice if it could be applied earlier in the season, rather than when the province is on fire. Sorry, I cannot make it any plainer than that.

Most of you are astute, witty and seem to understand where I'm coming from. I enjoy your posts, thank you for them. :smt045

Moved here voluntarily from Sask in 1968 and revelled in the awesome beauty, abundant wildlife and stretches of greenery that only a prairie person could truly appreciate. An ardent conservationist and ecologist, (and childless), I only want to see that the next generation enjoy some of what i have experienced. Our generation was made to feel guilty about the devastation around the globe thanks to buck chasing. This is one who only wants to pitch in and help preserve this wonderful area of the world. I gain nothing by this effort as each day brings me and friends closer to extinction. (Harp strumming?)

We (the collective "we") made a lot of errors; however, many of us are trying to make changes for the better. We realize that the destruction of the natural world will ultimately lead to the extinction of us and our progeny.

Please, let us ask politicians, officials and those who are in charge, to take affirmative action to save our little piece if the world.

If this doesn't work, I will bow my head in defeat and ask for the fentanyl.
A wrinkled warrior.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Catsumi wrote:A fireban protocol has been a pre-existing tool for many years now. It would be nice if it could be applied earlier in the season, rather than when the province is on fire. Sorry, I cannot make it any plainer than that.

Most of you are astute, witty and seem to understand where I'm coming from. I enjoy your posts, thank you for them. :smt045

Moved here voluntarily from Sask in 1968 and revelled in the awesome beauty, abundant wildlife and stretches of greenery that only a prairie person could truly appreciate. An ardent conservationist and ecologist, (and childless), I only want to see that the next generation enjoy some of what i have experienced. Our generation was made to feel guilty about the devastation around the globe thanks to buck chasing. This is one who only wants to pitch in and help preserve this wonderful area of the world. I gain nothing by this effort as each day brings me and friends closer to extinction. (Harp strumming?)

We (the collective "we") made a lot of errors; however, many of us are trying to make changes for the better. We realize that the destruction of the natural world will ultimately lead to the extinction of us and our progeny.

Please, let us ask politicians, officials and those who are in charge, to take affirmative action to save our little piece if the world.

If this doesn't work, I will bow my head in defeat and ask for the fentanyl.
A wrinkled warrior.

You do understand that a fire ban will not stop lightning fires?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Yes. Lightning ban. Not a bad idea
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Is it not a glad thing that Castanet has supplied us with a message board where an open, adult oriented mature discussion about our deepest concerns can happen?

It is so nice that some have actually read and understand what has been said. :200:

Unknown
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Catsumi wrote:It is so nice that some have actually read and understand what has been said. :200:

I got a chuckle out of this. Thank-you. Best example of "Pot calling the kettle black" I've seen in a long time. :130:
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

"Human caused" is too big of a blanket statement. It can mean anything from campfire to cigarette to car accident to a tree falling into a power line. I'd like to see a more detailed breakdown.

And it doesn't matter anyway because idiots ignore bans and/or toss their butts regardless. That's why they're idiots.
Your bias suits you.
dle
Lord of the Board

Re: DECLARE FIREBAN WHEN RISK IS HIGH

Post by dle »

Tootsie wrote:"everyone overreacts when the media puts fires at front and center"

Huh ? Really ? Have you been evacuated? Are your eyes drooping like mine are after this weekend wondering if I have to leave my home in a minute? The fires ARE "front and center" in some of our lives right now. Your view might change if you walk a mile in some of our shoes. Believe me ....fires ARE front and center especially WHEN they're front and center in our yards and we have people knocking on our doors telling us to leave !
EDIT: Sorry to offend anyone. Just a bit testy in OK Centre & took it as belittling the fire situation. It's been a very un-nerving weekend.

And what must add to that frustration is knowing that fire was human-caused...as a lot of them are...so yep, I'm on board with at least an early campfire ban too except a lot of the fires are being lit DURING the campfire ban by bozos so I don't think it would do much good. Most campers are responsible and use their gas ring firepits when the season is very dry - some light one without consideration for the conditions including wind and how far an ember flies and say "oh, it will be fine, I'll watch it"....some people think it's just fine to go 4x4'ing in the bush during high fire season, some flick butts out their car windows without a second thought (not that they probably ever had a first thought)....

I wish we could just put the planes up and drop retardant in areas where the forest fuels are in abundance BEFORE fire season - don't know how that would work but maybe it would put up a few temporary guards here and there to prevent huge spreads - I don't know. Be nice to do something pro-active instead of re-active I guess is what I'm thinking.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

dle wrote:And what must add to that frustration is knowing that fire was human-caused...as a lot of them are...so yep, I'm on board with at least an early campfire ban too except a lot of the fires are being lit DURING the campfire ban by bozos so I don't think it would do much good. Most campers are responsible and use their gas ring firepits when the season is very dry - some light one without consideration for the conditions including wind and how far an ember flies and say "oh, it will be fine, I'll watch it"....some people think it's just fine to go 4x4'ing in the bush during high fire season, some flick butts out their car windows without a second thought (not that they probably ever had a first thought)....

I wish we could just put the planes up and drop retardant in areas where the forest fuels are in abundance BEFORE fire season - don't know how that would work but maybe it would put up a few temporary guards here and there to prevent huge spreads - I don't know. Be nice to do something pro-active instead of re-active I guess is what I'm thinking.

So you support a ban where the innocent are punished for the actions of the guilty?

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”