Military in the Cariboo

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Military in the Cariboo

Post by Catsumi »

I read once again, the Quesnel news article link regarding military in fire zone

It sounds like only 150 men were sent but only to check motorists leaving on highway

Does anyone have info to questions:

1. Are those army guys still there?

2. Is that all that were sent to help, 150? Or more?

3. Did they participate in fire fighting or road checks only?

It seems that media coverage has been rather thin about this. JT pledged aid and help from Canada and i wonder if this is the extent of help.

Last night on news it was reported that the army was busy setting up shelters for recent influx of illegals into Quebec
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A friend of mine says he had the military and the RCMP show up at his house earlier this week to tell him to leave his place because a new evacuation order was in effect. He refused because he's fighting the fire.

No, the military is not involved with fire fighting. In fact there are so many people on the ground, lots of them are sitting around playing cards instead of fighting fire. My brother who is also fighting the fire came across some forestry guys doing just that in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the Hanceville fire (the part that had already burned). There are so many cooks in the kitchen that some people are being paid $500/day to sit around playing cards. It's just tax payer's money, so who cares...
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yes, i am, as many others, totally confused about what army duties are. Be sure not to get in a card game with them as all their practice will make them hard to beat.

In today's Province there is an eye-popping article entitled "Back Road to Hope: migrants:". It is written from Americans viewpoint of the thousands of Haitians, Syrians, etc gathering to cross border into quebec. Amazingly, 100 army personnel are presently there, erecting tents, putting in toilets and electrical supply for all the border crossers. It looks like more army guys will be needed so expect "ours" will be off to do more important work back East. Sounds like they really won't be missed. :200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Do we have a number of thankless people involved in criticizing anything and everything? Sounds like the age old complaining about cops taking their coffee breaks... the donut syndrome. Not worth listening to for the most part. Why would they bring those armoured personnel carriers to town? I bet that any NCO or Officer on the ground in Williams Lake could answer that question quickly and save all the surmising and guessing.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Such a sneering, vitriolic post. Please, unruffle your feathers.

I have searched through all news of Willliams Lake and there is not one word of what the army is doing there. No mention of them at all, in fact, that i can find.

You seem to have an inside track so perhaps you could contact those in charge and ask them if the army is actually fire fighting?

And yes, i see the photo of the personnel carrier, so they had transport into the burn area, but that signifies.....well, not much.

Unknown
dale mck

Post by dale mck »

Glacier wrote:A friend of mine says he had the military and the RCMP show up at his house earlier this week to tell him to leave his place because a new evacuation order was in effect. He refused because he's fighting the fire.

No, the military is not involved with fire fighting. In fact there are so many people on the ground, lots of them are sitting around playing cards instead of fighting fire. My brother who is also fighting the fire came across some forestry guys doing just that in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the Hanceville fire (the part that had already burned). There are so many cooks in the kitchen that some people are being paid $500/day to sit around playing cards. It's just tax payer's money, so who cares...

without knowing the the whole story,,and situation,,and orders they were under,,,or on much earned down time, I think this is somewhat slanted and possibly slenderness !
Last edited by ferri on Aug 10th, 2017, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:. My brother who is also fighting the fire came across some forestry guys doing just that in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of the Hanceville fire (the part that had already burned).

You do know that they don't fight the fires 24/7. They do get down time.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Treblehook wrote:Do we have a number of thankless people involved in criticizing anything and everything?

A number? [icon_lol2.gif] This is Castanet - it's the majority. Whining, biased, and clueless, for the most part.
Your bias suits you.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

300 more military personnel coming to BC to help in the fight against the wildfires. Perhaps Glacier has a suggestion as to what type of vehicles they should bring with them and what they should be doing once they get here.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Treblehook wrote:300 more military personnel coming to BC to help in the fight against the wildfires. Perhaps Glacier has a suggestion as to what type of vehicles they should bring with them and what they should be doing once they get here.

For many years i thought that our army was the equivalent of the USA National Guard, where they could be activated during emergencies and disasters. For instance:

1997 -Red River Flood. military helping to fill sandbags, etc. - 8,500 persons

1998 -Quebec, Ontario Icestorm -16,000

2013 - Alberta floods. - 2,300

2016.- Ft. MAc. - i found evidence that it was discussed that personnel be sent but all I can find is air support. Interestingly, Russia offered to send air support too, but JT refused their help

2017 - Quebec flooding - 2,300

2017 - B.C. Fires - It is really hard to figure but so far may have 850 plus 300 you just mentioned. - 1,150

These numbers may not be accurate...i did my best gleaning through newspaper accounts, so will stand correction cheerfully.

Unknown
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

You have to go into the law around military aid to civilian powers to understand what needs to occur before the Canadian Forces can be deployed to assist in everything from natural disasters to civil unrest. Having said that, one of the mandates of the Canadian Armed Forces is to provide emergency services and assistance during all manner of crisis domestically. I don't know what they all are, but I do appreciate that there are many and varied legal issues and liabilities associated with their domestic deployments. All of that plays into what they are permitted to do and how they complete those functions. All that having been said, one only has to listen to the comments and gratitude of the people who have received their help to know the value of their assistance.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Totally agree with you.

I looked in Wikipedia for National Guard, apparently they are reservists run by each state and the Feds can also call them to duty. They are trained volunteers. Also surprised to learn that even their Airforce has a National Guard.

It makes sense to me and wish we could have the same rather than relying upon foreign assistance (Mexico, Australia). Seems to me that calling in foreigns must add substantially to the final cost total.

Oh well.

Unknown
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Catsumi wrote:Such a sneering, vitriolic post. Please, unruffle your feathers.

I have searched through all news of Willliams Lake and there is not one word of what the army is doing there. No mention of them at all, in fact, that i can find.

You seem to have an inside track so perhaps you could contact those in charge and ask them if the army is actually fire fighting?

And yes, i see the photo of the personnel carrier, so they had transport into the burn area, but that signifies.....well, not much.

They were very good for keeping law and order during the evacuations. A few people were arrested for attempting to rob vacant homes... and those are only the ones that made the news. Who knows how many they arrests didn't make the news. I saw them yesterday in Williams Lake having lunch. Not sure what they're doing now, but that doesn't mean they still aren't doing something useful. There are other areas like Anahim Lake that are evacuated, so could see them out there keeping peace when everyone's homes are left unattended.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

Actually bringing in the out of province & out of country crews while it costs more is more efficient in the long run. They are trained & experienced where as the Canadian Forces have the barest minimum of training, all they really re suitable for is mop up.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”