Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Post by wanderer »

Effective at noon (Pacific time) on Friday, Aug. 4, 2017, the operation of any off-road vehicle for recreational purposes on Crown land will be prohibited throughout the Cariboo Fire Centre, Kamloops Fire Centre and Southeast Fire Centre. In addition, all on-highway vehicles must remain on defined road surfaces. This includes all of the Okanagan. I hope the message gets out to the tourists who will be coming into the area this long weekend.

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScri ... sp?ID=2834

Map of restricted areas.
http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScri ... sp?ID=2834
Sparki55
Guru

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Post by Sparki55 »

Its a sad day. No mountain lake fishing this weekend.
ckirkey

Post by ckirkey »

I'm in favour of the ban. Many friends that recreate in the backcountry have already made decisions to not go out in the backcountry- too dangerous both with the risk of starting a fire, but also the risk of getting stuck out there having your exit route cut off with a fire.

I'm however puzzled at why they would release this notice the day before the long weekend, when many people are already out in the backcountry or on their way with their ATVs etc and wouldn't necessarily see these notices.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

You can still travel by "regular" vehicle on regular roadways to the mountain fishing lakes. I'm thinking James Lk, Postill, Beaver, Doreen, Bear (Lambly) Lake, Cameo etc.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

ckirkey wrote:I'm in favour of the ban. Many friends that recreate in the backcountry have already made decisions to not go out in the backcountry- too dangerous both with the risk of starting a fire, but also the risk of getting stuck out there having your exit route cut off with a fire.

I'm however puzzled at why they would release this notice the day before the long weekend, when many people are already out in the backcountry or on their way with their ATVs etc and wouldn't necessarily see these notices.

I think there should be BIG signs for tourists at the Alberta and USA borders, maybe even around Hope proclaiming these restriction. Also all BCers should be talking to people they see hauling off road vehicles. We are all responsible for looking after our province. IMO
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

I thought about posting this in the Central Okanagan forum and the BC forum... just to get the word out.
ckirkey

Post by ckirkey »

I think there should be BIG signs for tourists at the Alberta and USA borders, maybe even around Hope proclaiming these restriction. Also all BCers should be talking to people they see hauling off road vehicles. We are all responsible for looking after our province. IMO

Agreed. Just with the short notice its hard to get all the communication, signage, word of mouth etc out there
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

ckirkey wrote:I'm in favour of the ban. Many friends that recreate in the backcountry have already made decisions to not go out in the backcountry- too dangerous both with the risk of starting a fire, but also the risk of getting stuck out there having your exit route cut off with a fire.

There is multiple ways out of every area around Kelowna. Buy a backroads map book or a GPS and if you need to get out you will find a way.

I'm sick of the mentality we adopted where we are ok with the government restricting activities because of a few people they think are dumb.
We all pay high taxes to live in Canada and the cost of fire fighting is huge. We need more conservation officers to patrol around, report fires, ticket offenders, inspect vehicles to make sure they are up to spark standards and have heat shields in place. If you feel like you are being watched all the time and see a conservation officer on every trip to the backcountry and regularly have your vehicles inspected when traveling off road you would smarten up. Having the officers out there can also help in reporting fires before they get out of control.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

wanderer wrote:You can still travel by "regular" vehicle on regular roadways to the mountain fishing lakes. I'm thinking James Lk, Postill, Beaver, Doreen, Bear (Lambly) Lake, Cameo etc.

No you cannot. Castanet always fails to post properly.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/off-road-ban-bc-1.4235780
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm in agreement with the restrictions and it would be great if more conservation officers were hired. The back country has closures winter and summer so the work is there to protect our resources.

Fools need to be reined in.

Rene Lemckert is an avid backcountry user. A week ago on a ride up the Harrison East Forest Service Road, he came across a chilling site: a pile of recently used fireworks, casually tossed on the side of the road.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... ry-problem

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=73518
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Sparki55 wrote:

I think Castanet is correct; its CBC that has the article screwed up.

Jeeps, trucks and other cars are permitted on paved roadways, but cannot go into the backcountry.

I believe the correct info is that jeeps, trucks, and cars can go off the pavement onto gravel; just not off-road as such.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Fancy wrote:I'm in agreement with the restrictions and it would be great if more conservation officers were hired. The back country has closures winter and summer so the work is there to protect our resources.

Fools need to be reined in.

Rene Lemckert is an avid backcountry user. A week ago on a ride up the Harrison East Forest Service Road, he came across a chilling site: a pile of recently used fireworks, casually tossed on the side of the road.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... ry-problem

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=73518

Yea, and now the responsible Rene Lemckert is banned from his activities. Hire more officers and fine the fools, everyone pays their tax, fools will pay extra and the responsible people can get on with their leisure activities. Anyone here who says they agree obviously don't own a truck and fishing boat.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Sparki55 wrote:Anyone here who says they agree obviously don't own a truck and fishing boat.

Own it all so you would be wrong.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

XT225 wrote:
Sparki55 wrote:

I think Castanet is correct; its CBC that has the article screwed up.

Jeeps, trucks and other cars are [b]permitted on paved roadways, but cannot go into the backcountry.[/b]

I believe the correct info is that jeeps, trucks, and cars can go off the pavement onto gravel; just not off-road as such.

You just contradicted yourself there. Gravel is not a paved road. Read the picture from both posts.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Fancy wrote:
Sparki55 wrote:Anyone here who says they agree obviously don't own a truck and fishing boat.

Own it all so you would be wrong.

A 30' for okanagan lake doesn't count.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”