Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

pentona
Übergod

Re: Off Road Vehicle Restrictions Including Okanagan

Post by pentona »

skydawg wrote:
Have you been up to silver star? Its still lush green vegetation unlike the dead dry grass down in the valley.

No, I have not. However, it may look green but those are evergreen trees and just because things look green doesn't mean its not dry. If bike kicks up dust, its dry. I have been to the mountain areas above 5000 feet lately and seen first hand how dry it really is. Perhaps I should not have singled out the two ski hills but in general mountain biking in the backwoods right now is not the right thing to be doing.

Note: a 4x4 event scheduled for Apex Mtn this weekend was cancelled due to the danger of fire. Imagine Apex Alpine has similar conditions to both Big White and Silver Star.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

May as well ban everything.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Too bad we can't ban stupidity, carelessness and negligence.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

skydawg wrote:May as well ban everything.

Then you would have to ban banning things.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Rain next weekend. Maybe it's over
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

tsayta wrote:Rain next weekend. Maybe it's over

I could have told you that three weeks ago... We are going on holidays starting next weekend...

Regardless, we need several days of decent rain to get the bush open and logs moving again.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

Off Road Vehicle Tip Line

Emergency Info BC‏ @EmergencyInfoBC : To report people violating off-road vehicle restrictions in Cariboo, Kamloops & Southeast fire centres, call RAPP 1 877 952 7277
cooldude
Fledgling

Post by cooldude »

There are conflicting reports as to the amount of precipitation between the Weather Office and the Weather Network. My sources are indicating, in the Kamloops area to the west, maybe 1-4mm, best chance Saturday night to Sunday. That will barely get through the canopy in most of the areas. A bit more forecasted in the Okanagan, and even less in the Cariboo.

Temps cooling off to mid to high 20's starting on Sunday. No real significant precipitation for the next to weeks. The incidents in question will need at least 30+ mm to have a significant impact, before we will see more progress than what has already occurred. Basically, we need a good ol' costal drenching. Not going to happen short term.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

What the entire Province needs is a 2 or 3 days of a typical Vancouver all day rain (no lightning... just rain).
Those who know what I'm talking about, its not down pour.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
62silverado

Post by 62silverado »

I wrote the not so honorable minister Mr. Doug Donaldson this morning regarding his quote.
"During the current wildfire situation, its crucial that we do everything we can to prevent human-caused wildfires. Temporarily removing off-road vehicles from the back country is another component of wildfire prevention strategy."
My reply to him was.
Based on what statistical information ? My guess none. The only statistical information you can have, is that we now live in a society of selfish, arrogant idiots.
So once again good people (who enjoy the back country) have to suffer the consequences of a government who ignorantly thinks they can control the actions of morons. Well you cant and you never will be able to.
I would suggest you now restrict smoking to ones dwelling.
Also stop all activity on our lakes, because if you think those people wont or cant start a wildfire you are sorely mistaken.
Until you come up with a prescription, a remedy or a cure, "you cant fix stupid".
So just let the rest of us enjoy our lives while being responsible people.
Cheers
dale mck

Post by dale mck »

[quote="62silverado"]I wrote the not so honorable minister Mr. Doug Donaldson this morning regarding his quote.
"During the current wildfire situation, its crucial that we do everything we can to prevent human-caused wildfires. Temporarily removing off-road vehicles from the back country is another component of wildfire prevention strategy."
My reply to him was.
Based on what statistical information ? My guess none. The only statistical information you can have, is that we now live in a society of selfish, arrogant idiots.
So once again good people (who enjoy the back country) have to suffer the consequences of a government who ignorantly thinks they can control the actions of morons. Well you cant and you never will be able to.
I would suggest you now restrict smoking to ones dwelling.
Also stop all activity on our lakes, because if you think those people wont or cant start a wildfire you are sorely mistaken.
Until you come up with a prescription, a remedy or a cure, "you cant fix stupid".
So just let the rest of us enjoy our lives while being responsible people.
Cheers[/quote]

As a active user of the back country,,,I don't believe I am being forced to suffer,,,I see it as a reasonable inconvenience to endure, to play my part in reducing any chance of more man caused fires and ensuring the safety of my dependents , given the extreme hot dry conditions. I also hope the gov implements a total back country ban in the Cariboo region to-morro. Some of us can appreciate the big picture instead of Me Me Me.
mayor quimby

Post by mayor quimby »

What I find interesting is that there are still ATV's running around in the back country, and apparently they are "allowed"

if you want to go out you can't take yours but feel free to go rent one and take a tour. Its a commercial business so it isn't banned. no experience needed. I'm sure they will even give you a little training before you go out.

not sure how this is either fair or responsible but it is happening.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

dale mck wrote:
As a active user of the back country,,,I don't believe I am being forced to suffer,,,I see it as a reasonable inconvenience to endure, to play my part in reducing any chance of more man caused fires and ensuring the safety of my dependents , given the extreme hot dry conditions. I also hope the gov implements a total back country ban in the Cariboo region to-morro. Some of us can appreciate the big picture instead of Me Me Me.

It's not about "me me me", its about a back country ban for those responsible people who will not start a fire, who will report dumb :cuss: starting fires, these people are now banned. There are not enough conservation officers to regulate this ban, all it is doing is discouraging the honest guy from going in the bush, not the guy who will ignore the ban and go in anyways with a truck that has no heat shields, spark arrest system, etc.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

boo hoo
Your bias suits you.
cuhen

Post by cuhen »

lets ban smoking in the province.
and fine the crap out of anyone caught smoking in there car
they could pay for the fighting efforts with the fine
i am sure that there's been more fires started at the sides of the road
where a but has been flicked out the window.
as to how many have been started buy quads and bikes in the bush.
let get a poll up to ban smoking

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”