Only RCMP can levy the big fine for campfires...

dle
Lord of the Board

Only RCMP can levy the big fine for campfires...

Post by dle »

I just learned today that ONLY the RCMP can levy the bigger $1,150.00 fine for campfires during the ban....if the fire department catches you, they can only levy a $200.00 fine, or call the cops to come and slap you with $1,150.00.

Stupidest thing I've heard in the last, oh, 24 hours or so! We are talking extraordinary circumstances with extraordinary stupidity - when there is a campfire ban on all or any of the fire department, forestry, or RCMP should automatically be able to levy the $1,150.00 fine. An amendment needs to be made to that law right away.

No wonder so many jackwagons are out their lighting the campfires during the ban - they are pretty much guaranteed they won't run into RCMP wandering the forests! The RC's only come out if called by the fire dept or forestry, then they dish out the biggie.

IMHO it is a colossal waste of time for everyone doing it this way and not efficient or a deterrent at all.

Annoying when common sense is never allowed to prevail over laws that are beyond ridiculous.
seewood
Guru

Re: Only RCMP can levy the big fine for campfires...

Post by seewood »

I believe the conservations officers can and do issue the bigger fines as well. Not sure if forestry personal that are designated enforcement officers can issue the big fines, most definitely can fine you though.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

dle wrote:I just learned today that ONLY the RCMP can levy the bigger $1,150.00 fine for campfires during the ban....if the fire department catches you, they can only levy a $200.00 fine, or call the cops to come and slap you with $1,150.00.

Stupidest thing I've heard in the last, oh, 24 hours or so! We are talking extraordinary circumstances with extraordinary stupidity - when there is a campfire ban on all or any of the fire department, forestry, or RCMP should automatically be able to levy the $1,150.00 fine. An amendment needs to be made to that law right away.

No wonder so many jackwagons are out their lighting the campfires during the ban - they are pretty much guaranteed they won't run into RCMP wandering the forests! The RC's only come out if called by the fire dept or forestry, then they dish out the biggie.

IMHO it is a colossal waste of time for everyone doing it this way and not efficient or a deterrent at all.

Annoying when common sense is never allowed to prevail over laws that are beyond ridiculous.

Calm down. It's the RCMP's job to uphold the law. It's the fire department's job to put out fires. Simple concept. You don't see cops running around with hoses.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

seewood wrote:I believe the conservations officers can and do issue the bigger fines as well. Not sure if forestry personal that are designated enforcement officers can issue the big fines, most definitely can fine you though.

Thanks Seewood - I got my original information from the news on the radio this morning and must have misunderstood or maybe they had it not quite right - my bad! Anyways, I found this article regarding the Kootenay Fire Centre C.O's handing out the bigger fine - I hope that goes for our Fire District as well. So if I have it right, the RCMP and the CO's can levy the big fine, and it looks like the fine the forestry or fire dept guys can levy is the smaller $345? Still think that if they are allowed to levy a fine I don't see why it shouldn't be the same as the RC's and the CO's.
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local ... 1.21315698

According to the above article Forestry Compliance & Enforcement Officers along with Conservation Officers can levy fines & notice it say "RCMP Officers can as well so RCMP are far from being the only ones that can levy fines.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

canuck500 wrote:http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/fires-during-ban-could-lead-to-big-fines-campers-warned-1.21315698

According to the above article Forestry Compliance & Enforcement Officers along with Conservation Officers can levy fines & notice it say "RCMP Officers can as well so RCMP are far from being the only ones that can levy fines.

yes, more than the RCMP can levy fines but the amounts are different apparently. After checking a few different sources it is still not clear but from what I understand, not all the authorities can levy the $1,150.00 fine. At first I thought it was only the RCMP, but further checking seems to indicate that CO's can as well but the fire/forestry people can only levy a smaller fine, something like $345.00. They can call the RCMP in to levy the higher fine.
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

The way I read it the compliance & enforcement people can levy the fine under the wildfire act. This clearly states that Natural Resource officers are responsible for enforcing the wildfire act http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/envir ... e-officers

This is what comes up when you Google Forest Service Compliance & Enforcement https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hen/nrv/ Again shows they are responsible for the wildfire act.

So it looks like the only ones restricted to the smaller fine are the structural fire departments.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”