Re: Fire Philpot and 33

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Many Joe Rich Residents are jubilantly returning home as evacuation orders are rescinded.

Talking to them and reading their posts on the Community Facebook page is remindful of kids getting out of school

for the summer holidays. Lots of hoots and hollerings and 'welcome homes' from those who were allowed back earlier.

This is very bitter sweet as we have residents who are still under evacuation order and are unable to share the joys

other Joe Richers are experiencing. Hopefully their wait wont be too much longer.

There's a post on our FB page where residents are talking about driving along the hwy on their way home and

see seeing traffic control and flag people standing on the side smoking.

I'm surprized there has not been some serious altercations.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

That's great news, BG. :up: (other than the smoking flaggers bit)
Your bias suits you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Looks like the fire is completely out. No new fire growth in over 3 days. At least that's my ignorant conclusion looking at sat data.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Barney Google wrote:........
There's a post on our FB page where residents are talking about driving along the hwy on their way home and

see seeing traffic control and flag people standing on the side smoking.

I'm surprized there has not been some serious altercations.

So!!! Unless they're not flicking their butts into the brush and are putting them out properly, who gives a flying...

Unless you just want to promote another agenda.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Glacier wrote:Looks like the fire is completely out. No new fire growth in over 3 days. At least that's my ignorant conclusion looking at sat data.

I don't know where you get the idea that the fire is completely out ?? :135:

Firefighting efforts continue: News Release No. 18

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 3:58pm
Philpott Road Fire

Central Okanagan, B.C. – Crews continued to action the Philpott wildfire today with approximately 35 structural crews from eight Central and North Okanagan fire departments with thirteen pieces of equipment in the ongoing firefighting effort.

Approximately 77 residents from 35 properties remain on evacuation order. About 1,023 residents from approximately 439 properties remain on evacuation alert and should be prepared to leave their homes again on short notice, if fire conditions change. When it is safe, adjustments will be made to the Evacuation Order and Evacuation Alert areas.
Residents allowed back to their properties should be aware that active fire suppression work continues throughout the area of the fire.  Ground crews will continue extinguishing spot fires and conducting danger assessments and falling trees in fire impacted areas.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Dude, it was supposed to be taken as hyperbole. As in sort of a light hearted joke.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Glacier wrote:Dude, it was supposed to be taken as hyperbole. As in sort of a light hearted joke.

It apparently wasn't all that funny.

Not exactly a light hearted joke kind of topic.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

This is a paragraph from this mornings article....

"Our activity will continue to decrease along with the fire behaviour and that could carry on for a little while," said Wasyliuk. "Complete extinguishment isn't actually our goal with this, our goal is to work from the perimeter of the fire in to a point that we feel it's safe to the community," he said.

Someone needs to explain why "complete extinguishment" isn't the goal.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I took a moment to contemplate why and came up with, "because it may be impossible to know where the fire is still smouldering under duff, tree roots and in material within the 350 odd hectares. To pursue complete extinguishment of the entire fire may be too expensive if water needs to be dumped within the perimeter via helicopter, but to contain the perimeter completely is a do-able goal. And people can't go inside the fire zone, too dangerous right now. They are going to put it out completely where flare ups will definitely matter."

I KNOW someone will correct me or refine my thoughts and that's okay. I've only had one cup of coffee on the first attempt.

Drip_Torch? Thoughts?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Raven1 wrote:

Completely extinguishing every single hotspot on a large, steep slope fire like this would take months. If they secure the perimeter of the fire it will eventually burn itself out.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

It is my hope that the residents of Joe Rich who are waiting anxiously to return home get to see their homes

in person with their own eyes first and not view them in news reports. If reporters are being allowed in to film

the evacuated areas, I hope the effected residents were offered the same quick trip in to see their properties first hand.

It might be hard for some to understand, but for those impacted it's a very personal and private thing. Also, I can imagine

how hard it is for those same residents hearing of the rest of the community going home and yet being given no hope of

a return date for themselves.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Raven1 wrote:This is a paragraph from this mornings article....

"Our activity will continue to decrease along with the fire behaviour and that could carry on for a little while," said Wasyliuk. "Complete extinguishment isn't actually our goal with this, our goal is to work from the perimeter of the fire in to a point that we feel it's safe to the community," he said.

That's not practical. Too much money and too much water. We have 1 million hectares burning in the province. You could drain Okanagan Lake and still have fire burning. You ensure the fire is burnt and extinguished on the edges, thus no fire can leave.
- Douglas Murray
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Same principal as them using the method of back burning - no fuel to burn the fire extinguishes itself.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”