Fire Philpot and 33

Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Fire Philpot and 33

Post by Farmmaa »

Woodenhead wrote:Castanet is sensationalist & late.

CORD is guarded and playing it over-safe. (understandably)

Pick your sources carefully & do the smart math.

It isn't only Castanet, but we're not permitted to post any other sources.

Perhaps CORD needs to update their site more than once or twice per day if they want to be the source for up to date information.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

firefox0085 wrote:I was a Fire Boss, and worked for the Forest Service, fighting forest-fires, for over twenty years.

And I beg to differ with the Forestry's spokesperson, who called this a Rank Three fire. This is a full on Rank Five, or a beginning Rank Six! Look at the dark coloured smoke, blooming out in intense activity. No Rank Three is remotely like this monster. I sincerely hope the Forest Service can wake up, in time to devote enough resources to it, because up 'til now they haven't.

When? You mean right now or when it started? You must mean when it started
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

CORD is fine. If you want to get into minutiae, then you've gotta talk directly to boots on the ground & stay away from publicly viewable social media.
Your bias suits you.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Just watched the helicopters fly by, heading home for the night, empty baskets trailing behind them...
Your bias suits you.
brandon_18

Post by brandon_18 »

I'm afraid tomorrow may be a bit of a problem day as there is a forecast of 35.C and very dry.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Highway 33 Reopens; Evacuation Orders Remain In Effect - News Release No. 10

Central Okanagan, B.C. – The 465 hectare Philpott Road Wildfire remained active Saturday, mostly within the existing fire boundaries. The BC Wildfire Service reported that consistent hot, dry weather and flare-ups were challenges throughout the day; however, crews managed to contain 20 per cent of the blaze and focused on strengthening a guard along the north flank. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Officials continue to assess the evacuation order and alert areas, which will remain in effect overnight, affecting an estimated 1,100 people. Visit www.cordemergency.ca for an interactive map of the evacuation order area and to sign up for emergency e-updates.

Highway 33 will be open to single lane, alternating, piloted traffic starting at 9 tonight. Obey flaggers and speed limits in the area.

Residents must respect roadblocks and other closures, and exercise caution when driving, especially in areas where people are working or stationed close to the road. Entering areas under evacuation order is prohibited and puts the public and crews at risk.

FortisBC is reporting that power was restored to 435 customers within the evacuation area, with crews working to reestablish service to 45 properties along Philpott Road. For more information, please go https://outages.fortisbc.com/Outages/Home/OutageMap.

The Emergency Support Services reception centre at Willow Park Church (439 Highway 33 West, Kelowna) will be open from 12:30 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Anyone under evacuation order should check in with Emergency Support Services.

Residents affected by the Philpott Road wildfire are eligible for up to $600 financial assistance per household by registering with Red Cross. Register at redcross.ca or call 1-800-863-6582.

For the latest information, visit www.cordemergency.ca and follow us at facebook.com/CORDEmergency or twitter.com/CO_Emerg.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

20% is excellent progress.
And a good retardant barrier on the North flank.
Stay positive.
All crews are dug in for a hard stand.
It is always best to evacuate on order..safe for everyone.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Farmmaa wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-205114-1-.htm#205114

DRAMATIC Fire Increase.

Sorry, but Frisk is not correct.

Not correct about what?

No significant spread has been observed on the fire since the evening of August 24th, 2017. The change in size is due primarily to more accurate mapping.

^This came directly from the B.C. wildfire website (early saturday afternoon update). http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/OneFire.asp?ID=671

And we were discussing the fact that the fire didn't grow from thursday night to saturday morning. I said nothing about the potential spread of the fire after that time frame. So why you're trying to tie what I posted with the increased fire activity this afternoon I have no idea.

The fire was burning unburned fuels within the pre-existing fire perimeter at a rank 3 this afternoon. That's to be completely expected during the afternoon heat on a large fire like this. In my opinion, the term "dramatic" to describe the afternoon activity is unnecessary.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

We've got another chilly start to our day up here...+7 and still air.

No sign of the flare-ups we could see yesterday afternoon and night.

Sporadic but steady traffic came through on the highway starting at around 10 and then

got occasional around 2/3 and since then only one or two vehicles.

JR folk have mixed feelings about trough traffic being allowed on 33 but are hopeful that

might mean some will be allowed home to stay soon.

Hopefully we will hear good news when reports come in later this morning.

How's it on your end Woodenhead?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

When we were evacuated from canim 2 weeks ago, we appreciated the fact that the roads were closed. We did not want the risk of criminal types cruising around the evacuated homes. Even with the roads closed there were still low life looters doing their thing. I would also have mixed feelings about allowing use of highway 33 while people are evacuated
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Fairly smokey and the air is still as can be. Seems that every night that cool calm air causes the smoke to just linger at ground level. Not complaining, because short of rain that's about as good as the weather can get, fire-wise.

I hear the choppers starting up again, and a plane as well. Let's hope they can kick some more butt & some residents can make their way back home!

Your bias suits you.
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

tsayta wrote:When we were evacuated from canim 2 weeks ago, we appreciated the fact that the roads were closed. We did not want the risk of criminal types cruising around the evacuated homes. Even with the roads closed there were still low life looters doing their thing. I would also have mixed feelings about allowing use of highway 33 while people are evacuated

It sounds as though there are enough people who have stayed behind that there were be some security up there.
Joe Richers are like my neighborhood; you develop a bit of a "Wild West" mentality living in the bush. Looters would do well to stay away.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Global News Vancouver sure had evacuated Joe Richers riled up this morning with misleading early morning TV

reports on access to the area for residents. Not funny Global!!!

Sure dashed a lot of hopes for folks who roared up to road blocks expecting to be allowed home.

It's starting to get hot up here at this end and the breeze is picking up. Not seeing a lot of air crew activity

at the moment. Perhaps they are refuelling and taking a break.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Barney Google wrote:Not seeing a lot of air crew activity

at the moment. Perhaps they are refuelling and taking a break.

The air sounds quite active over here this morning. But my view is obscured so I can't say anything more than that.
Your bias suits you.
firefox0085

Post by firefox0085 »

tsayla:

No, I do mean more recently, but I'm only going on pictures the news publishes. No Rank 3 ever but up so much billowing -out black smoke indicating severe fire activity, You'll recall I'm a fire boss, and through that work, i was named an "Essential Service" to BC. I know fires 'cuz I fight them, do you...? Rank 3's are basically just ground fires, with some open flame and embers all over. They are NOT up in the trees, candling like crazy as on this fire. Just judging by the pictures, this fire still looks to be building strong, and no crew yet could attack its head, direct attack is too dangerous...It is definitely beyond Rank Three. I can put those out without too much trouble...

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”