Diamond Creek Fire

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Diamond Creek Fire

Post by Glacier »

ferri wrote:I'm going out now to turn a fan on pointed north. :D

I know we aren't supposed to question the mods, but *removed/self-censored*
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Speaking of little bits of ash, Fancy suggested we sweep them all up and dump them at your place as a "Return to Sender" kinda thing. I dont' think we should pay duty tax at the border either as we're returning what you'se all sent us.

And Drip_Torch is just teasin' us about boating today. I know for a fact he had to wash, dry, polish his heap'o truck all over again due to your Made in the USA Washingston State ash. That shoulda kept him busy all day, elbow grease an' all.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Hey Trip_torch, I gotta be first for something this week. How about this: The Kleena Kleene and Colwell Lake fires have now merged (I noticed this this morning). The fire still pretty small. More like Okanagan Mountain Park fire size -- which, compared to the fires this year, is minuscule.

Speaking of OK Park fire, that's a good example of what I mean about the remoteness of this Diamond Crick fire. You have one resort compared to hundred of homes and people evacuated around Green Lake. Similarly, there were 3 large fires in 2003: OK Mountain Park, Barriere, and Chilko Lake. But you hardly ever heard of Chilko Lake fire because it only burned down a few sheds and only evacuated a couple a resorts along with a few dozen homes. OK Mountain Park was the smallest of the 3, but got the most attention, not just in the Okanagan, but else where in BC and Canada because it impacted the most people.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

P.S. The fire would have to make it past all the snow before hitting the lodge...

LODGE.jpg
- Douglas Murray
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

The smell of smoke is getting really strong here. It's not stinky though. I feel like I'm at a bonfire. Someone didn't bring the beer though.

https://hwp-viz.gsd.esrl.noaa.gov/smoke/index.html#
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I thought the fire would've remained contained on the Canadian side between the Tatoosh & Boulder lake fire burn scars from 2006 but it looks it spilled over one of the ridges to the east and snuck around the boulder lake scar.

Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

ferri wrote:I'm going out now to turn a fan on pointed north.

Hey, now why didn't I think of that? No seriously - why didn't I think of that.

Queen K wrote:And Drip_Torch is just teasin' us about boating today. I know for a fact he had to wash, dry, polish his heap'o truck all over again due to your Made in the USA Washingston State ash. That shoulda kept him busy all day, elbow grease an' all.

Oh, somehow I've given you the wrong impression of me. Sure, there was a time when I would wash the same truck two, or three times in a day, but I'm much better now. The lake was great - by the way. I'm afraid the truck is still dirtier than a drip torch, diamond creek fire assessment.

Glacier wrote:Hey Trip_torch, I gotta be first for something this week. How about this: The Kleena Kleene and Colwell Lake fires have now merged (I noticed this this morning). The fire still pretty small. More like Okanagan Mountain Park fire size -- which, compared to the fires this year, is minuscule.

I saw that, four hours after you pointed it out. Isn't that cute, a single modis centroid with an FRP designation of 26.2 MW. By the way, I enjoyed reading that blog you put up on that fire. It's interesting to read other peoples impressions when they encounter a big fire ground operation for the first time. I assume the author is still doing well.

Glacier wrote:Speaking of OK Park fire, that's a good example of what I mean about the remoteness of this Diamond Crick fire. You have one resort compared to hundred of homes and people evacuated around Green Lake. Similarly, there were 3 large fires in 2003: OK Mountain Park, Barriere, and Chilko Lake. But you hardly ever heard of Chilko Lake fire because it only burned down a few sheds and only evacuated a couple a resorts along with a few dozen homes. OK Mountain Park was the smallest of the 3, but got the most attention, not just in the Okanagan, but else where in BC and Canada because it impacted the most people.

... and another example on my thoughts of how the fire triangle is loosing it's utility as a policy discussion tool in the modern fire environment. It's almost as if in the last, oh I dunno, few hundred years, we've added another element to the fire environment that has complicated things a little and changed the way we see these fires.

Glacier wrote:P.S. The fire would have to make it past all the snow before hitting the lodge...

Secretly, I've renamed the Canadian portion of this fire "Brenda" after my red-headed, first wife. Brenda will rage for a few days, then quiet down and give you the impression things have passed. As soon as you're feeling a little secure about the situation - boom - she'll rage again. If you honestly think a mtn range and a little snow is going to shield you from Brenda's fury - you've obviously never met her. I finally came to the conclusion it was just best to stay away and let her do her thing.

I see the fire remained calm-ish on the Canadian side of the border in the last 24 hours. It's sneaking along the cut-line of the border to the east (I wish fire smart consultants and proponents were paying attention to this) and it's gone further up the ashnola drainage to the south.

I realize what I just wrote there contradicts a story on Castanet, but the tab on this section is titled "opinion" - so who are you going to believe? Last time I checked the ashnola spilled down into Canada.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Oh, and on the topic of snow getting in the way, something tells me that the Quesnel Lake fires aren't going anywhere!

QUESNELLAKE2.jpg
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Drip_Torch wrote:I saw that, four hours after you pointed it out.

kkfire.jpg
- Douglas Murray
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

When I go outside and look to the north I see a wall of smoke from the Diamond Creek fire. When I look to the south I see a wall of smoke from the Jolly Mountain fire. It's only hazy here. For now. Jolly Mt. is down around the Wenatchee area.

Jolly Mountain Fire grows, new evacuations announced

http://q13fox.com/2017/09/02/jolly-moun ... announced/
― Albert Einstein
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Here's why we can't breathe here in the North Okanogan.
Diamond Creek Fire.jpg

This is yesterday. It doesn't look much better this morning.
002.JPG
― Albert Einstein
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Size: 4,525.0 hectares (estimated)

Updated at 10:58am

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScri ... asp?ID=673
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Now at 4814ha est as of 11:33am Tuesday. And though it's not near any structures it would seem that the size on our side of the border is bigger than all the fires currently burning in the Okanagan. Maybe bigger than all that have occurred this year combined. Just Ok area not whole of Kamloops fire district of course.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Attachments
screen_shot_2017-09-06_at_12.15.04_pm_p3247743.jpg
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

"Size of blaze not clear"

B.C. Wildfire Service personnel have been unable to fly over the Diamond Creek wildfire to get a new size estimate because of heavy smoke in the area.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -not-clear

My best guess - FWIW. I'm going to speculate, based on the quick and dirty polygon tool, 6446 Ha. Most of that growth on the west flank pushing north. It also appears to still be sneaking around to the east, south of the border.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”