Finlay Creek Fire

Frisk
Guru

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by Frisk »

It looked like it was picking up again but it's hard to see what's going on now since the smoke rolled back into the valley.
Artist

Post by Artist »

(Not trying to beat a dead horse), but a locally owned/run/focused AM talk-radio station would be a useful tool in these situations - Kelowna could really use a radio station like that (fire events aside). The only local AM station we have now, has very little locally-focused and locally-sourced content. Thinking back to the '03 fires, much of the information that streamed to our ears in real time came from people (including front-line workers) who were in close proximity to the crisis, and who had the opportunity to connect live to on-air media. Although we have digital-media now today, ironically, it still isn't "real time" if media outlets have to first gather the information, and then re-enter it into their news-feeds. Nothing beats a real voice in real time sharing eye-witness information as it happens.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

3 CL-215T's from Quebec that were in Kamloops (6 in total) are now working the fire at Finley Creek. They have been in and out of Penticton today and are now landing here for the night. Looks like they are using the North taxiways for parking of the extra fire fighting aircraft. Reminds me of 2003 when there were 6 of them parked here. Can't remember whose they were though.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
jessemac86

Post by jessemac86 »

Howdy all, thank for all the updates. Been checking this thread more than anywhere else... seems to be the best place to go so far.

Anyways, some info: Summerland has issued an official evac alert for Garnet Valley all the way up Garnet Valley Road north of Wildhorse Rd (including Wildhorse). I just spoke to a friend who lives just south of there and they were told that if they do end up evacing that area, they are going to evacuation the entire Garnet Valley, even those south of there... so there's an unofficial evac alert as well.

And although the district of Summerland hasn't been posting on their website, turns out they have been active on their Facebook page (at least today). Might be a good place to check over the next while!
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Anyone want to know the truth from the fire line?
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

UPDATE: More properties put on evacuation alert for Finlay Creek fire

(UPDATE: September 4th @ 7:00 p.m.)

The District of Summerland has issued an Evacuation Alert for properties on Garnet Valley Road north of Wildhorse Road. Properties on Wildhorse Road are also included. The RCMP are issuing the Evacuation Alerts to properties affected door to door. The Evacuation Alert, updated mapping and list of addresses will be posted on the District of Summerland website Tuesday morning.

At this time, the Evacuation Alert is a precautionary measure. Residents should be taking appropriate measures in the case that fire activity escalates and an evacuation order is necessary.

In the case of an evacuation order, residents may be required to leave quickly and be away for an extended period of time.

Residents affected by the Evacuation Alert are not required to register however questions can be directed to the Summerland Fire information line at 250-486-3765.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes please. :D
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
postie

Post by postie »

What's new with Finly fire logman?
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I am working the north end of the fire. The Peachland side. Guard is being built for fear of winds changing. The south end has split into three fingers down the valley bottoms. Garnett and darke lake(fish lake)and another draw I can't remember the name. It's burning in darke lake park heavy. Things are very calm on the Peachland side. Planes were hitting hard and repeatedly from 11 am on. No choppers that I saw. The Peachland side is well protected with numerous pieces of equipment and operators on the ground. The south is the worry as the fire is moving that way. Guard will continue to be built on the Peachland side for potential changes in the wind or future fires is what I was told this morning.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I will answer any questions I can. From the Peachland side of the fire anyway. Will be heading to the south side in a day or so.
iabnmwts382

Post by iabnmwts382 »

logman wrote:I am working the north end of the fire. The Peachland side. Guard is being built for fear of winds changing. The south end has split into three fingers down the valley bottoms. Garnett and darke lake(fish lake)and another draw I can't remember the name. It's burning in darke lake park heavy. Things are very calm on the Peachland side. Planes were hitting hard and repeatedly from 11 am on. No choppers that I saw. The Peachland side is well protected with numerous pieces of equipment and operators on the ground. The south is the worry as the fire is moving that way. Guard will continue to be built on the Peachland side for potential changes in the wind or future fires is what I was told this morning.

Thanks so much for that Logman. I really appreciate you taking the time after a busy day to update us. And thank you and all the others for all the hard work.
iabnmwts382

Post by iabnmwts382 »

Logman what is your impression of this fire, the difficulty fighting this particular fire and how close is it to structures? Any insight you can provide would be helpful. Thank you.
acrent7

Post by acrent7 »

Artist wrote:(Not trying to beat a dead horse), but a locally owned/run/focused AM talk-radio station would be a useful tool in these situations - Kelowna could really use a radio station like that (fire events aside). The only local AM station we have now, has very little locally-focused and locally-sourced content. Thinking back to the '03 fires, much of the information that streamed to our ears in real time came from people (including front-line workers) who were in close proximity to the crisis, and who had the opportunity to connect live to on-air media. Although we have digital-media now today, ironically, it still isn't "real time" if media outlets have to first gather the information, and then re-enter it into their news-feeds. Nothing beats a real voice in real time sharing eye-witness information as it happens.

Agreed! I remember listening to it all day long in '03
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

The north side of the fire Is difficult,steep and rocky. Pushing firegaurd is tough. May use existing road to set a perimeter. Widen and extend where possible. Tomorrow's plan will probably change as it does on a daily basis. Right now with fire in the valley bottoms it is a guessing game with a lot to do with the wind that often comes in the afternoons in the heat of the day. I can update everyone after the morning meeting when they tell us what happened overnight. Equipment is working 24/7 to push guard in.
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

Thank you from those of us along the Peachland side of Deep Creek. Nice to know exactly what is happening as we sit under the "war zone" of planes. The ground work is the backbone that is so invisible and very much appreciated.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”