Waterton Lakes

Drip_Torch
Guru

Waterton Lakes

Post by Drip_Torch »

We all know it... we all love it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/w ... -1.4285153

I seem to recall, in a typical year they start unrolling the snow fences in about a week or two.

Waterton.jpg
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Waterton Lakes

Post by Queen K »

I've been watching this on facebook and crying my heart out.

Please tell me this is a natural cycle. :cry:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
spudnut

Post by spudnut »

Truly a very sad story.
Waterton Lakes National Park is one of Canada's oldest and scenic National Parks.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Queen K wrote:I've been watching this on facebook and crying my heart out.

Please tell me this is a natural cycle. :cry:

Well, for what it's worth, it is a natural cycle. Albeit one that's not going to be easy for us to reconcile when it's all over. Thankfully, it sounds like the fuel free's around the town held and we didn't lose some incredible heritage too.

I can imagine more than few of the very tough decisions that had to be made last night.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Drip_Torch wrote:
I seem to recall, in a typical year they start unrolling the snow fences in about a week or two.

The forecast for the area doesn't look too far off.
Attachments
Waterton forecast.png
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

As bad as it is, it's always been known that it could be quite a bit worse.

It was always a big, fun, wondrous backcountry/thirsty bear adventure. But, there were days I knew at any moment it could be us, a few park wardens, a couple RCMP officers, and about 15 volunteer fire fighters trying to get everyone out of there safely.

At least they had some time to get resources in, and the people out, before it happened.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Around this time of year four years ago now we hiked in to Wall Lake. I wonder how it looks today.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Currently hot, dry, and extreme in the East Kootenay...

drsept12.png

rhSept12.png

tempsept12.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Queen K wrote:Around this time of year four years ago now we hiked in to Wall Lake. I wonder how it looks today.

I dunno, but it looks like Cameron lake and the Oil city site took a hit - can't imagine much that would slow it down in that valley.

... And I'll be honest with you QueenK, I don't often experience a sense of loss when looking at wildland fires. This one is very different for me.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I feel physically sick. Can't watch it.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Natural cycle Queen k...

1919, Oil City
1919, Oil City

1919, The road to Cameron Lakes.

It's not the first time, likely won't be the last.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The fire is burning at over 2,200 m (7,200ft)! The dots represent hot spots. The mapping of the fire is a few days behind.

waterton.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Attachments
Kenow-Fire-Growth-Sept12-web-En.jpg
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”