And so it begins... Penticton

Drip_Torch
Guru

And so it begins... Penticton

Post by Drip_Torch »

Westbench smoking up pretty good in some strong winds.

PFD working.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -grassfire
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: And so it begins... Penticton

Post by JagXKR »

Smoke is almost all gone. Looks like they got it under control now.
How long before the next "got away from them" event takes place?
BTW the wind was forecast to increase today so no excuse.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Less than 4 ha. Not a lot of guts, but a few feathers. Contained and being mopped up.

Three days ago, couldn't get a fire started for a photo op. Today with a little wind, a quick drop in humidity and away she goes.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

I’m somewhat disappointed.

I was hoping this thread would spin into a lively and spirited discussion about firebans, campers, backcounty bans, utv’s, and smoker’s. If we had airtanker’s, different airtankers, or perhaps even the MARS, this fire could have been contained quicker.

Hmm, too soon, I guess…
electricguy

Post by electricguy »

I hope to see less blaming of smokers
The Monte Lake wildfire last year wasn’t caused by a cigarette butt
https://*bleep*.ca//newsitem/the-monte- ... tt/it51618
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

electricguy wrote:I hope to see less blaming of smokers

Ahh, so cigarette butts were found on the ground near the spot where the fire was suspected to have originated. But were not the cause. Fine. The problem though is that cigarette butts were found. They may not have started this fire, but you can be sure they were tossed from a vehicle, and more than likely were burning at the time. So, is it a fire risk that smokers continue to toss cigarette butts from their windows? you bet it is.

Last summer, during one of our Okanagan fires, I was driving into Kelowna and just south of the airport, I watch the car infront of me toss a cigarette butt. I knew it was coming, the driver had the window cracked and kept flicking the ash out as he smoked. Just to paint the picture though... The air was already thick with smoke and houses had been lost, in Lake Country, the day before...

I will continue to be suspicious of causes of wildfires as long as smokers continue to throw burning materials from the cars.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

youjustcomplain wrote:Ahh, so cigarette butts were found on the ground near the spot where the fire was suspected to have originated. But were not the cause. Fine. The problem though is that cigarette butts were found. They may not have started this fire, but you can be sure they were tossed from a vehicle, and more than likely were burning at the time.
There were no smoking materials at the ignition site.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

twas Notley
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

youjustcomplain wrote:
electricguy wrote:I hope to see less blaming of smokers

Ahh, so cigarette butts were found on the ground near the spot where the fire was suspected to have originated. But were not the cause. Fine. The problem though is that cigarette butts were found. They may not have started this fire, but you can be sure they were tossed from a vehicle, and more than likely were burning at the time. So, is it a fire risk that smokers continue to toss cigarette butts from their windows? you bet it is.

Last summer, during one of our Okanagan fires, I was driving into Kelowna and just south of the airport, I watch the car infront of me toss a cigarette butt. I knew it was coming, the driver had the window cracked and kept flicking the ash out as he smoked. Just to paint the picture though... The air was already thick with smoke and houses had been lost, in Lake Country, the day before...

I will continue to be suspicious of causes of wildfires as long as smokers continue to throw burning materials from the cars.

Possibly the idiots are still in hibernation and haven't hit the highways in full force just yet.

Just wait, it's coming again.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

What do you call someone who intentionally or through carelessness, starts a wildfire? I know the answer...... The problem we have in BC is that nobody ever seems to be held accountable for their actions.... seems it is very difficult to obtain the necessary evidence to successfully prosecute these people. I for one, think that there is a demonstrated need to significantly increase the fines for leaving campfires unattended and for violations of the fire bans. We simply cannot afford these "human caused" fires, either from a lost timber resources perspective or the cost of fighting them.

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”