Friday, November 28th-6.5°C
24302
23192

Netflix

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Jo, ferri, Triple 6

Netflix

Postby weatherloach » Jan 14th, 2013, 8:54 pm

I have a paid netflix account and someone told me there is a way to access US netflix with a paid Canadian account but i can't figure it out. Can anyone help???
weatherloach
 
Posts: 61
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Jul 6th, 2012, 11:22 am

Re: netflix

Postby Scadam » Jan 15th, 2013, 11:47 am

I use unotelly.com

It's the simplest solution to set up (punch in some dns numbers) and it has a free trial which doesn't require a credit card.
Scadam
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 883
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 62 posts
Joined: May 23rd, 2006, 10:14 am

Re: netflix

Postby netfreak » Jan 15th, 2013, 1:22 pm

blockless.com appears to be the same price for a no contract sign up ($5/mo). I use that one without any issues.
I am more important than you.
User avatar
netfreak
Übergod
 
Posts: 1151
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: Oct 10th, 2006, 7:42 am
Location: kelowna

Re: netflix

Postby Captain Awesome » Jan 15th, 2013, 2:29 pm

There was a thread about it, search for it.

I tried it, it worked but I couldn't stand how slow it was.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
User avatar
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 23231
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 1713 posts
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2008, 4:06 pm
Location: The United Colonies of The Lizard People

Re: netflix

Postby Scadam » Jan 16th, 2013, 10:00 am

Captain Awesome wrote:There was a thread about it, search for it.

I tried it, it worked but I couldn't stand how slow it was.


You must have tried a VPN then. You should try one of the DNS based solutions; there is no overhead or slowdown.
Scadam
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 883
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 62 posts
Joined: May 23rd, 2006, 10:14 am

Re: netflix

Postby dwaynem » Apr 25th, 2013, 1:19 pm

The easiest and free method of accessing Netflix US content is to use Hola Unblocker assuming you're using a device that is supported. http://hola.org

Of course the terms and conditions that you agreed to with Netflix is up to you to choose to ignore ;)
dwaynem
 
Posts: 3
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: May 9th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Re: netflix

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Apr 25th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Would that hola allow a person to access video clips from US Network stations that are blocked to Canadians?
"Friends are the family that we choose ourselves!"
User avatar
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10829
Likes: 417 posts
Liked in: 1043 posts
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 12:06 pm

Re: netflix

Postby Scadam » Apr 25th, 2013, 2:56 pm

dwaynem wrote:The easiest and free method of accessing Netflix US content is to use Hola Unblocker assuming you're using a device that is supported. http://hola.org

Of course the terms and conditions that you agreed to with Netflix is up to you to choose to ignore ;)


I just took a quick look at it and I'd be incredibly leery of installing this... First it won't work for me anyway - it is a browser/phone addon and not usable with a media player or ps3, which we use. But what concerns me most is that this is a glorified p2p network. It's similar to a bittorrent or bearshare or limewire client - it talks about being more like a TOR network then glosses over the fact that all content is stored on machines which are part of the network (you, and anyone else with hola installed).

There is little detail about data usage (as in uploading, what ISPs hate and like to charge us for), but it is clear that it uses no servers and instead stores copies of whatever you've watched on your machine and you become a peer on the network sending it to others. No info on how/when you are uploading, aside from a comment about being "online and idle", so for me that would be any time I'm not physically in front of my PC. Nothing at all about how much you will upload - is there a ratio system, does that content stay on your machine seeding forever?? The only detail the FAQ gives is that in the phone/android version it only treats you as a peer when connected to power and wifi... so reading between the lines any home computer using would always a peer. Not to mention how much space it will decide I can donate to store these files on MY computer.
Scadam
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 883
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 62 posts
Joined: May 23rd, 2006, 10:14 am

Re: netflix

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Apr 25th, 2013, 3:06 pm

P2P tells me all I want to know. Thanks.
"Friends are the family that we choose ourselves!"
User avatar
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10829
Likes: 417 posts
Liked in: 1043 posts
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 12:06 pm

Re: netflix

Postby Hassel99 » May 1st, 2013, 5:55 am

On a ps3/Xbox/wii all you have to do is add a us ip. Google it and view one of the YouTube walktroughs. Took me 4 mn to set up. And yes it is way better .
User avatar
Hassel99
Übergod
 
Posts: 1009
Likes: 220 posts
Liked in: 541 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2012, 8:31 am

Re: netflix

Postby Woodenhead » May 1st, 2013, 10:52 am

VPN (quite cheap)

or get into a top-level private torrent site.
People don't use the castanet forum to discuss. They use it to preach & dictate.
User avatar
Woodenhead
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4222
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 202 posts
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 1:47 pm

Re: netflix

Postby Scadam » May 1st, 2013, 12:35 pm

Changing your IP means it is also a VPN solution. That isn't the best way and introduces slowdowns and overhead; it's the sledgehammer approach.

Look for a DNS solution if you want the streaming content but not no slowdowns or middleman. It makes no difference where your DNS requests are sent, but using a US-streaming-friendly DNS server lets you spoof a US IP for streaming conent, all other DNS requests are passed on unchanged, and all other IP trafic is unchanged.

Private torrent sites are cool. I'm on three, and I can download whatever I want at max bandwidth. But it still pales in comparison to Netflix. I'm watching 24 right now and it's a lot more convenient to sit on my couch and browse to pick an episode and have it playing in 1080p instantly, than to sit at my PC to find full seasons, download them, copy them around, maybe some renames and covers, then use the media player to watch them, and delete or store them when done. Even the interface is superior on netflix - they've invested hugely in it, far beyond the budget of any media player company, so aside from the hassle of getting the content, the playback is a nicer experience to boot.
Scadam
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 883
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 62 posts
Joined: May 23rd, 2006, 10:14 am

Re: netflix

Postby Woodenhead » May 1st, 2013, 12:40 pm

Yeah, DNS solutions work well too. (I'm already on a VPN for a few reasons, so it's the first thing that came to mind. No slowdowns here, to boot)

Netflix is awesome, but I still prefer P2P for the price. :wink: (Note: I don't follow any TV shows or watch many movies)
People don't use the castanet forum to discuss. They use it to preach & dictate.
User avatar
Woodenhead
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4222
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 202 posts
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 1:47 pm

Re: netflix

Postby underscore » May 1st, 2013, 3:07 pm

Scadam wrote:Changing your IP means it is also a VPN solution. That isn't the best way and introduces slowdowns and overhead; it's the sledgehammer approach.

Look for a DNS solution if you want the streaming content but not no slowdowns or middleman. It makes no difference where your DNS requests are sent, but using a US-streaming-friendly DNS server lets you spoof a US IP for streaming conent, all other DNS requests are passed on unchanged, and all other IP trafic is unchanged.

Private torrent sites are cool. I'm on three, and I can download whatever I want at max bandwidth. But it still pales in comparison to Netflix. I'm watching 24 right now and it's a lot more convenient to sit on my couch and browse to pick an episode and have it playing in 1080p instantly, than to sit at my PC to find full seasons, download them, copy them around, maybe some renames and covers, then use the media player to watch them, and delete or store them when done. Even the interface is superior on netflix - they've invested hugely in it, far beyond the budget of any media player company, so aside from the hassle of getting the content, the playback is a nicer experience to boot.


Howso? I hate the Netflix interface, it would nice if there was a "browse by" option, instead of just seeing their lists or searching.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
underscore
Übergod
 
Posts: 1469
Likes: 1026 posts
Liked in: 147 posts
Joined: Apr 5th, 2007, 10:12 pm

Re: netflix

Postby GordonH » May 1st, 2013, 3:14 pm

Netflix Canada was good until I've watch everything that interest me, its a shame that content is no the same of US counterpart.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. Do what makes you happy, and do it a little better every day… and don’t forget to breath!
User avatar
GordonH
Guru
 
Posts: 8868
Likes: 468 posts
Liked in: 792 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning (Star Trek version)

Next

Return to Computers, Science, Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests