Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Tesla to Sell $35,000 model by 2017.

Post by Lady tehMa »

Does anyone have any figures of cost for the charging? I know nothing of how the charging station system works. I understand the whole "buy gas" thing since I've been doing it for a few decades, but how much does it cost to charge at one of these? What if you don't have one? How long does it take to charge at home, and what will that do to your electric bill? What if you aren't at home - will you be able to plug in just anywhere?

I know this is the future, so I'd like some details on how the whole system works.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

This is from a few years ago but it give you a good comparison. Just change the numbers and you could figure it out at todays prices.
I read the other day that a large percentage of EV owners have Solar Power to help with the costs as well. Granted most of them can afford it anyway.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/how-much- ... ic-car.htm
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Screw Tesla.

I want an electric motorcycle.

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Lady tehMa wrote:Does anyone have any figures of cost for the charging?

If you charge at home, it would be about $3 to charge enough to drive to Kamloops and back. Obviously those super charging stations (30 are currently in the works around BC) would have to charge more for upkeep and profit. Maybe it would be $7 instead.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The Tesla supercharging stations are free to use.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2709794
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

BC Hydro plans on putting in 30 of them, but they won't be free. $5 is pretty much free though.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Glacier wrote:If you charge at home, it would be about $3 to charge enough to drive to Kamloops and back.

...and if you own a Tesla, why not wire in a solar cell or two?. Charge your car and run your water heater.

Then it's just the initial investment. If I buy a Telsa I wont be buying power from the grid to power it. I'll make my own.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

jennylives wrote:The Tesla supercharging stations are free to use.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2709794

Glacier wrote:BC Hydro plans on putting in 30 of them, but they won't be free. $5 is pretty much free though.

Once we get more electric cars on the road (which is a good thing), do you honestly believe they'll be giving electricity away? The more ecars on the road, the more its gonna cost to charge.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Dizzy1 wrote:Once we get more electric cars on the road (which is a good thing), do you honestly believe they'll be giving electricity away? The more ecars on the road, the more its gonna cost to charge.

S-o-l-a-r.

Or wait. "Oh no it's a going to get more expensive I guess we should just abandon the Tesla and build the pipeline!"

There Dizzy, feel better?

- Buckminster Fuller
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Atomoa wrote:...and if you own a Tesla, why not wire in a solar cell or two?. Charge your car and run your water heater.

It was all ready mentioned (by me) that most present Tesla owners have done just that.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Dizzy1 wrote:Once we get more electric cars on the road (which is a good thing), do you honestly believe they'll be giving electricity away? The more ecars on the road, the more its gonna cost to charge.

Efficient vehicles are bad for government coffers because people spend less on fuel, and by extension fuel taxes. Therefore, I believe that we will see more and more toll highways in the future to make up the difference.
- Douglas Murray
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Glacier wrote:Efficient vehicles are bad for government coffers because people spend less on fuel, and by extension fuel taxes. Therefore, I believe that we will see more and more toll highways in the future to make up the difference.

..and Tesla is a enemy of Canada. The Canadian economy is threatened by Tesla.

I believe the number was in the billions, but when we have Goggle cars world governments can also kiss goodbye billions of dollars worth of fines and speeding tickets.

Gee - could it be that technology will enable mankind to the point where we'd have to "make up ludicrous" ways of taxing people to support everyone (while 10 people on the planet own more than 3 billion people).

We wont be able to facilitate massive unchecked greed anymore. That's a really positive thought!
Last edited by Atomoa on Jul 27th, 2014, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Buckminster Fuller
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Atomoa wrote:S-o-l-a-r.

Or wait. "Oh no it's a going to get more expensive I guess we should just abandon the Tesla and build the pipeline!"

There Dizzy, feel better?

Yes, I just finished my coffee so I do feel better, thank you :)

Yes, we should build the pipeline, simply for the fact that we are still many years away from not being dependent on oil. We are many years away from mass produced ecars or cars with an alternative source of energy. We are many years away from building an infrastructure that can support all those ecars. These are facts, its just the way it is and its better to simply accept it and be a bit more realistic in dreaming of some utopia that you think will happen overnight.

Do we need to invest in the future? Absolutely. Do we need to stop burning fossil fuels? Absolutely. Do we need to start taking more serious looks at alternative energy? Absolutely. But its not going to happen overnight. The Europeans and miles ahead of us, and they have been going after cleaner sources of energy since the 1950s and they are still decades away from being oil free. Yes we should be oil free, but we're not, and it costs money. So why not use the money from oil and invest it in getting us off the stuff?

As for solar power, speaking from experience with our own solar generator. The initial investment is not cheap and your $35K Tesla just doubled in price never mind the amount of panels you'd need to charge the battery fully ... technology and price wise, we're simply not there yet.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Glacier wrote:Efficient vehicles are bad for government coffers because people spend less on fuel, and by extension fuel taxes. Therefore, I believe that we will see more and more toll highways in the future to make up the difference.

Interesting, seeing how in European countries, they pay more in fuel tax then we do yet they have more fuel efficient cars to choose from then we can ever dream from. Never mind their fuel efficient cars have MPGs that puts ours to shame.

We pay what, 30ish cents per liter including Federal/Provincial excise and PST/GST? Germany you pay 47 cents on Federal excise alone plus 19% VAT. Diesel you pay even more.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

The biggest mistake that BC has made was the carbon tax. Now, I have no problem with it, I think its a great idea. But the mistake is that its "revenue neutral". If you want to make a tax for the environment, then every single penny from that tax should be going towards the bettering of the environment. And that is exactly what they should be doing with the pipeline. Hey, you want to run a pipeline through here? No problem, but its going to cost you. And that cost should be going directly to alternative sources of energy and investing in them, so then one day BC can actually become a leader, build its economy instead of dragging our heals like we have been since the 1980s.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”