Shaw TV

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Re: Shaw TV

Post by StraitTalk »

Hate to say it GordonH, but the odds are the issue is either hardware or wiring in or around your home. It's up to you to take care of that, nobody else. Call your provider - If they don't fix it, call them back and have them send somebody. Posting on Castanet isn't going to fix your pixilation problems, although some of the advice given here might. Call Shaw!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

StraitTalk wrote:Hate to say it GordonH, but the odds are the issue is either hardware or wiring in or around your home. It's up to you to take care of that, nobody else. Call your provider - If they don't fix it, call them back and have them send somebody. Posting on Castanet isn't going to fix your pixilation problems, although some of the advice given here might. Call Shaw!

Cable comes into the apartment goes directly to HD box then to TV. Nothing been changed or moved since it was setup. All connection & cable provided by Shaw. Worked fine until Feb 19, now not only is the picture pixelating the sound is also cutting out. Makes watching any games a real pain.

I've contacted Shaw as I mentioned, the reason for posting on here is to see if anyone else has the same problem.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
godfatherI

Post by godfatherI »

Unfortunately this is NOT a new problem with Shaw. It used to be on the odd channel; now tonight it is on every sports channel we have and it is on a TV with the HD box and also another TV with just a digital box. We have had this problem off and on for a few months now, but mainly with the HD box TV. They have sent someone out more than once - we also got the "signal coming to your house is too strong". They 'lowered' the signal - no change. Got new HD box - kept getting reboot signals so they replaced it, yet again. I am on hold with them right now - first call was 1 hour hold without a callback option. Second call is 13 mintues - I may get to speak to a live person by the time this is typed. I remember a forum a long time ago that actually had a Shaw tech come on and respond to our complaining. Think I will mention this forum to them - you never know. And no it is not our house wiring - Shaw replaced that a couple of years ago - they did a nice job of digging our front yard - and I am not being sarcastic - you could hardly tell where they dug up the lawn. Maybe it's the new Fortis smart meter (ha). And on the hold recording, they mention that some are experiencing pixelating problems and they are working to resolve the problem.
19 minutes on hold so far. Will come back here if I get any reasonable explanation from Shaw - unless I fall asleep while still on hold. At least it didn't go haywire while the game was on earlier.
godfatherI

Post by godfatherI »

38 mintues on hold - they are trying to find out what is causing the problem - and are getting slammed with calls. Some reported that their news channels were affected. I notice now that only channel 3 (Sportscentre) seems to be having issues on the digital box tv; the hd box tv is settling down now too except for ch 3. So it looks like it is a widespread problem and they are working on trying to track down where or what is affecting things. Hope so - the sound cutting out and picture scrambling every few seconds is a pain. So folks we are not alone - we just have to be patient I guess. Better be fixed for tomorrow's hockey game though!!
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

GordonH wrote:
Cable comes into the apartment goes directly to HD box then to TV. Nothing been changed or moved since it was setup. All connection & cable provided by Shaw. Worked fine until Feb 19, now not only is the picture pixelating the sound is also cutting out. Makes watching any games a real pain.

I've contacted Shaw as I mentioned, the reason for posting on here is to see if anyone else has the same problem.

nothing needs to change or move on your end. Just like any system or technology, it works until it doesn't. Does this issue happen on other tv's in the house? If yes, call shaw, they will send a tech. If it's just the one tv, then reseat the connection or bypass splitters.

The issue you are having can be caused by multiple things. It can be the wires in your house, the lines outside your house, or the fibre lines from the network to the cable provider. In the case of the 25th, I believe it was the latter as there was a pixellation issue affecting everyone (as confirmed by a friend who works for them). when that happens, yes the calls would spike as everyone would be calling in at the same time. Usually they would put a message up on the phones about this, and that sort of issue would be resolved within a number of hours.

Outside of that though, then it's likely an issue with your lines, and you would need to try the above steps.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Omnitheo wrote:The issue you are having can be caused by multiple things.

Aliens.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:

Omnitheo wrote:nothing needs to change or move on your end. Just like any system or technology, it works until it doesn't. Does this issue happen on other tv's in the house? If yes, call shaw, they will send a tech. If it's just the one tv, then reseat the connection or bypass splitters.

The issue you are having can be caused by multiple things. It can be the wires in your house, the lines outside your house, or the fibre lines from the network to the cable provider. In the case of the 25th, I believe it was the latter as there was a pixellation issue affecting everyone (as confirmed by a friend who works for them). when that happens, yes the calls would spike as everyone would be calling in at the same time. Usually they would put a message up on the phones about this, and that sort of issue would be resolved within a number of hours.

Outside of that though, then it's likely an issue with your lines, and you would need to try the above steps.

Since I've not touch anything at my end, not noticed any issues with TV in last few days. I say it was at Shaw's end and they cleared it up.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
O'Neill

Shaw TV Sun Transit?

Post by O'Neill »

I know over the past week the Sun Transit has his happening causing problems with the Satellites that Shaw uses. AnikG1 is one is used to relay HD channels.
Check it out
https://www.telesat.com/tools-resources ... calculator
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I remeber back in the day at certain times of the year and times of the day when we had a BUD (Big Ugly Dish) that the satellite was totally useless for a hour or so until the sun goes past where the dish was pointing....
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

My Netflix is still dropping down to SD occasionally. Did anyone hear from Shaw if there's a problem lately? I phoned a couple weeks ago when we lost internet briefly, but they didn't see any problem, so I'm still left unsure if it's Shaw, the modem, or the router. It's easy enough to rule out the router if we lose connectivity again, just go straight from the modem to PC, but I'm kinda hoping there's just some flakiness at Shaw and they're working on it.
O'Neill

Post by O'Neill »

Well I think I figured out why there have been so many problems with Shaw lately
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/13 ... ills-beans

After I read this I spoke with a acquaintance I know whom works at Shaw. He agrees with this. He also notes its even becoming more employee hostile at Shaw as they get closer to the shut down date. But he notes that don't expect to have any employee tell you this openly.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

just a matter of time before something like this happened. It must be tough losing a lot of the customers that they once had when they had a monopoly with cable and high speed internet. That big ol empty building off Leckie is a pretty good tell tale sign of the shape there in.
Now just one more reason for people to make the switch. Man what backwards thinking. How about lowering some prices to bring some customers back. cut throat the competition. Nobody really needs cable anymore, or a home phone for that matter. but everyone certainly needs internet.
These folks are running this outfit the same way that RIM was run into the ground.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

vinnied wrote:just a matter of time before something like this happened. It must be tough losing a lot of the customers that they once had when they had a monopoly with cable and high speed internet. That big ol empty building off Leckie is a pretty good tell tale sign of the shape there in.
Now just one more reason for people to make the switch. Man what backwards thinking. How about lowering some prices to bring some customers back. cut throat the competition. Nobody really needs cable anymore, or a home phone for that matter. but everyone certainly needs internet.
These folks are running this outfit the same way that RIM was run into the ground.

Add purchase of Global TV network.
O'Neill

Post by O'Neill »

Well as the person I know whom is loosing their current job at shaw told me today. Expect lots and lots of astroturfing. While The official response is not incorrect. Its very carefully worded.
I expect they will turn the screws even more on the employees now.
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/13 ... e-job-Shaw
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Damn gremlin are back at Shaw slow pixalating picture.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”