Computer Groups/Support in Kelowna area

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
___

Computer Groups/Support in Kelowna area

Post by ___ »

T
Last edited by ___ on Mar 31st, 2008, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
___

Quiet....

Post by ___ »

...a couple of ideas to illustrate my point....I recently wrote a couple of simple batch files to delete files that regularly accumulate through other programs that do not provide a method of deleting them.....

....I also recently discovered a program that allows me to use one keyboard and mouse across multiple machines and even multiple monitors per machine. This is like an extended desktop but between different computers. I can also copy & paste from one comp to the other with this utility....this is even better than sliced bread ever was!!

...so that is the kind of thing that I find very cool....YMMV :124:
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

___

Post by ___ »

Yes, Synergy....the server is on XP with a client on Vista. I will set it up on 98 and linux soon. It has a few quirks but I expected that from research into the program. Primarily I wanted this to be able to run one backlit keyboard for everything.....so now I can get my keyboard...a Saitek which looks pretty interesting with 3 different available light colors.

:124:
___

Post by ___ »

RegEx is also something I dabble in and am determined to become proficient in....anyone else???

nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Me, i've heard there is a Linux User Group in town... one second let me look it up... hmm page looks dead.

I'll pm you my messenger details, don't hesitate to contact me if you need a hand with anything.
___

Post by ___ »

K....ty, I got it.....busy now as my server just went inaccessible so gonna take care of that.....but I will be in touch....

___

USB thumb drive with U3 Launchpad

Post by ___ »

FYI...I finally found a removal tool for the U3 Launchpad that comes with USB thumb drives...in my case a SanDisk. Even SanDisk's own removal tool would not work. I now have the entire drive's capacity as a plain old removable drive(I do have more of these with the Launchpad).

Here is the link http://www.u3.com/uninstall/ .

SA...this might end up being my virtual linux to run on Vista!! :127:

SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

I heard about those launch pads before to but never seen one. There like root kits. Well root of the thumb dive anyway.

I've never managed to buy a usb drive with that on there yet
___

Post by ___ »

The SanDisk USB Launchpad is pretty handy actually...I have a 4GB version with Firefox, AV, editors, ssh, and even open office...plug that in with all my bookmarks, etc on any computer safe and secure....and sync any documents used.

I ran across something else just tonight, from a Windows Vista Forum :127: ...a free, open source high-end replacement for MS Paint...called paint.net

...still checking it out but has multiple tabs with each image represented on tab....and plugins available...looks pretty cool....oh, and it runs on 64 bit as well.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

MrBill wrote:The SanDisk USB Launchpad is pretty handy actually...I have a 4GB version with Firefox, AV, editors, ssh, and even open office...plug that in with all my bookmarks, etc on any computer safe and secure....and sync any documents used.

I ran across something else just tonight, from a Windows Vista Forum :127: ...a free, open source high-end replacement for MS Paint...called paint.net

...still checking it out but has multiple tabs with each image represented on tab....and plugins available...looks pretty cool....oh, and it runs on 64 bit as well.

I use Paint.Net at work, Mainly for screen shots, or to edit any crappy blueprints that a customer might send. The Company doesn't have Photoshop, so that's what I found worked as a good second (I won't put yahrr ware into my work comp.). It's about as close to PhotoShop as you can get for free. It's a good app.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Oh Oh MrBill it's free !
___

Post by ___ »

SpaceAddict wrote:Oh Oh MrBill it's free !

:127: ....I threw that in for you SA....such a proponent of open source(free) solutions.....

I am also all for paying for what I get....though I remember a computer science instructor of mine say one day that large software companies do accept some 'borrowing' of their products as advertising of a sort...try before you buy....and it makes sense. If you like the product and have a use for it you will eventually want upgrades, etc generally unavailable to hacked copies.

YMMV

___

Post by ___ »

:123: ....yeaaaa, I got synergy working on my kubuntu...one mouse and keyboard across four OS'es and 5 monitors.... :134:
___

Post by ___ »

:123: ...tripled the ram in my xp box, very nice....got my backlit keyboard, such a treat....

...picked up a usb tablet for my laptop...anyone got some tips or suggestions you use to get the most out of a tablet? I am familiar with writing with a palm ie - graffiti writing...so I have a head start....it came with a macro key manager to access common apps/functions but I have to set Tablet Mode to Graphic vs Ink Mode to get the pen to work across both internal and external screens. Setting it to Ink Mode lets me use the 'flick' feature but limits the pen to the laptop's lcd....bummer....

...you have some time to think about it 'cause I am gonna close this up and install MS Flight Sim X and go for a spin!!

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”