Ubuntu Linux

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Ubuntu Linux

Post by Symbonite »

Anyone used this Operating system in their machine? Just wondering how well it works. Just was reading in my Maximum PC Magazine about the 100 top influential tech items and this operating system came up because Dell is preloading it in their machines.

I have a spare Toshiba laptop that is a year old that Im gonna try it on and see how it work. just downloading the free software. Ill let you know what I think but I was wondering if anyone actually used it.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

I have Ubuntu 7.04 installed but I don't us it much. The install was smooth but I did have some problems with video drivers and getting a media player to play video files. I haven't installed 7.10 yet.

Be prepared to do some research and spend some time getting things working. There should be lots of information available to help if you have problems.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I installed it on my desktop but had a very difficult time getting my Video to work with Beryl.
It seems to work OK but I spend most of my time with Vista.
A bit of a learning curve if you are a newbie. It is not for the novice computer user.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

just installed it today ver 7.10 still in the process of getting it set up the way I want it.
hardest part for me was
the graphic kernel and then getting it to go wireless, so far not too shabby though. I've had worse installs with windows OS's

*two hours later* edited to add, having a bit of time getting my multi media codecs installed, but hey still could be worse
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Well its day 5 and so far this is what I found out

Right off the bat the toshiba laptop that I put this operating system on found pretty much the basics..Bonus it did automatically find the wireless Network card on it.

But I do need to find a way to install some software needed to get the sound going and the actual video card.

Realtek sound and Ati graphics. I downloaded and saved the Linux versions of the software and saved them on the desktop. Just dont know how to actually install them properly.

Another find is that I found how to put some of the icons on the Desktop (lots of hoop jumping to do it but I did it)

Onward for my quest to find how to install...let you know what I do find. Unless someone knows how to do it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Symbonite wrote:Well its day 5 and so far this is what I found out

Right off the bat the toshiba laptop that I put this operating system on found pretty much the basics..Bonus it did automatically find the wireless Network card on it.

But I do need to find a way to install some software needed to get the sound going and the actual video card.

Realtek sound and Ati graphics. I downloaded and saved the Linux versions of the software and saved them on the desktop. Just dont know how to actually install them properly.

Another find is that I found how to put some of the icons on the Desktop (lots of hoop jumping to do it but I did it)

Onward for my quest to find how to install...let you know what I do find. Unless someone knows how to do it.

Should have tried PCLOS it's quite intuitive with great repositories for needed items.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

I have had particular success with OpenSuse 10.3. I find it to be a particularly attractive distro. I have tried Ubuntu in the past, but I currently don’t have it on a live machine. I did like it at the time, but had critical hardware issues that precluded its use.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

Most of what I have read about Linux and Wireless involves the ndiswrapper to get it working. Most posts also show that it is pretty flaky at best. Still a work in progress.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I got the wireless working, most of my difficulty was just the foreignness of the operating system itself, (synaptic package manager and terminal commands) but I'm getting the hang of it.
Getting it to play DVD's is my issue at the moment,(I can burn cds/dvds no problem now) Although to be honest I haven't devoted much time to it in the past day or so, too much other life junk getting in the way to allow me to escape to tinkering with my puter.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

For those wishing to try Ubuntu, it can be ran straight from the CD, without effecting your main Operating system. This will give you a basic view of how it works.

You can download it here for free..

http://www.ubuntu.com/

And here's a good idea of what you could get it to do, once you download some of the plug ins. Vista, Vs. Ubuntu... Keep in mind, you really need a good knowledge of systems to get it to this point, it's not all install and go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyF ... re=related
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

Try these resources for installing software on Ubuntu:

Adding, Removing and Updating Applications

BinaryDriverHowto

Sound

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”