Windows keeps rebooting

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Windows keeps rebooting

Post by dsldriver »

OK.
so even the techy type of guy that I am, I have run into a problem with Windows XP. (big friggin' surprise) that I can't figure out.

Every time my machine starts up, it loads some of the programs that I want it to run, and then just for some reason reboots the machine. Not overheating, I have already looked at that. I did install one program just before this started happening but in the meantime I have managed to remove it from the computer. It will boot to safe mode with no problem.

I am mentally and physically exhausted from trying to figure out where the reboot signal is coming from. I need a fresh perspective. If it were my choice, Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 from Ubuntu would reside on my computer, but I need to maintain Windows for my family.

I have also tried System Restore from safe mode, and it won't give me the option of backing up to just before XMas when everything was working just fine.

Any help, really appreciated.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

If you get it running click start then run type msconfig

Click the startup tab and there look for the offending program and uncheck it.

Reboot.

What program BTW ?
smcnaughts

Windows Reboot

Post by smcnaughts »

What you going to want to do is while the machine is restarting, you want to press F8 just after it has posted press it till you have a big list of options, you then want to go upto (Do Not Restart On System Faliure) it will then boot like normal, when the machine goes to restart it will Blue Screen Instead. Get the error Codes on the blue screen which will be at the bottom of the screen post that and i will be able to help you a little more.
Thanks,
Sean
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

Space. I have done all that. I can't seem to assertain where things are getting messed up. I don't know what program. I will have a look at mcnaughts idea and see what I come up with.
I do thank you for the reply though.
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

Hey Sean:

Pertinent information from the blue screen as follows. I am on my laptop so this is exactly what I am looking at.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0XOOOOOOOA (OXF7D08000, OXOOOOOOO2, OX8053613C)

I hope i got the number of zerores right. LOL
smcnaughts

Reboot Problem

Post by smcnaughts »

Alright we have a windows Driver problem, Taken from the last post it runs in safe mode, im going to need a run down on where the bsod occurs and the model of the laptop so i can get an idea of what hardware you have? this way i can direct you to which driver to uninstall. Look at the icons below where the clock is and see which one comes up before it goes. Also try going into safe mode with networking see if it restarts there.
Thanks,
Sean
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

The machine that I am working on is a desktop. My laptop is running fine. Since I am headed to work, I will get a chance tomorrow to look at things more. I will email you when I am up and about.

Incindentally, restarting in safe mode, with or without networking seems to be working fine.
OffRoad
Übergod

Re: Windows keeps rebooting

Post by OffRoad »

dsldriver wrote:I did install one program just before this started happening but in the meantime I have managed to remove it from the computer. It will boot to safe mode with no problem.

Out of curiosity, what software was it that was installed and removed?

When you get the STOP error, can you see the file that caused the error (usually a .dll). If I remember correctly it's in the first couple of lines of the blue screen STOP error.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

Also, while in safe mode, check events in the Event Viewer for possible indications of what is causing the error.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Was that the entire BSOD error? Was there not one more line of code under it. The very end of that line is where problem dll's are posted. Look for a file name if you can get it to come up again.

It's possible that no file name shows up though but it makes it harder to figure out at distance.
Okaview

Comp restart.

Post by Okaview »

Start the computer up with ERD Commander CD. With that progr you can acces your Windows and do a file check or remove programs Etc.
If you don't have it let me know and you can borrow it from me.
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

hey oka. That wouldn't be a bad idea. The main problem is that I don't know what is triggering the crash
Okaview

Restart

Post by Okaview »

You can temp disable all the start up programs and see if that solve the problem. Most of the time restart is a software problem. what you can do with that program is check if there are Window file;s corrupt or damaged
and repair them. When you have the original install disc you can do also a repair in Windows that will solve the problem as well with out loosing any thing.
smcnaughts

Computer Restarting

Post by smcnaughts »

Before Doing a repair install or anything, if it is a Windows System File which would be a good idea to rule out go into safe mode, click on run and type in

sfc \scannow

That will check all the system files and will ask you to put the Xp cd in if it finds corrupted files and will replace them. Try that, if that doesnt work then we probabley still looking at a driver if you have gone in and disable all the start up programs in Msconfig already.
Thanks,
Sean
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

Ok. so here is what I got. I managed to fire up process explorer, and found that explorer.exe was the last to spike the cpu before it crashes and blue screens.

No file is showing up on the blue screen, just the irql_not_less_or_equal as listed above.

Sean. i will try what you told me and get back to you.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”