Are you planning on buying a laptop ?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Are you planning on buying a laptop ?

Post by SpaceAddict »

You might want to read this:

http://www.iguides.org/news/under-1000- ... vista.html

This is already happened to a few people I know. They got a new laptop with Vista installed and it's completely useless.

Knowledge is power.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

As with anything the consumer is better to do some homework before buying.
Good to let them know!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Well the other one they forgot to say it is very hard to get rid of Vista and install say XP on it if Vista come pre installed. People have discovered that problem. I don't know personally what the story is on it but it seems to be protected by the bios somehow. Plus you just wasted a bunch of cash for nothing. Plus the cost of Vista and then XP ends up being higher than the laptop. You could have bought that deluxe machine after all.

Seen many people already get burned on this latest scam.

I seen that story so I thought I'd point it out.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I bought a new acer extensa 7620 during boxing week. The dude at future shop wanted to set it all up for me install office get things tweeked. Told him no thanks.
first thing I did when I got home is wiped the vista from it and installed linux
Laptop runs great, clean and quick.
Very happy I did it, cuz I certainly don't wanna spend money on something thats gonna (to quote buddy from the above mentioned blog) "suck dead snakes through rusty tailpipes"
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

But you paid Microsoft for nothing. Just to delete it. That's not right. You should try to get your cash back.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

personally I think you should be able to choose which operating system you want.
I've always hated having microsquish products forced on me.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

But you should have not paid for something you deleted and never used. I'll tell you this someone in the USA took Acer to court over it and won that time they paid out for all the software and court costs he made money. The computer ended up being free. I think he actually made money on it.

Lots of different cases here on this search on Google.

http://tinyurl.com/25ok4c

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”