Dell Sells XP Units

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

We just bought a new PC and we asked for XP. My laptop had vista, and it sucked. I ended up switching back to XP. Although I liked the look and some extra features with vista, It had to many problems.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
___

Post by ___ »

SpaceAddict wrote:Are you sure it's the right site? I don't see vista or Aero there anywhere.

http://www.priceisrightcomputers.com/specials.html
http://www.priceisrightcomputers.com/product.htm

...and the aero is a given feature of vista....

:arrow: Vista has not been without it's challenges, but I decided to stick it out...it was not my only machine so I had backup...I am glad I did. Just like every other Windows version XP is on it's way out...figure I want to stay ahead of the curve for once.

YMMV :124:
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

I don't know how you found that product page. There is no links I could find to it from his site. I may be wrong but I could not find the link for it.

Oh I found it now. You didn't read the fine print..

"Images of product on this page may not be exactly as illustrated."

That's good you are testing Vista. MS can't seem to find the bugs in it. I know why I'll never get it, My SP/DIF cable will never work and the other wires are way to short and the hole in my desk for them is too small for that many wires. I don't think I'll be drilling any holes into this desk. It's nice, and it has standard holes already built in.

Just the way the speakers are made all those wires have to come up to the controller that is on top of the desk. Normally they would stay down below and just go to the amp. So no 5.1 sound, no Vista.
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

XP is on the way out??

I think MS should be scrapping vista and looking developing XP further. XP is not without its bugs, but it is a good foundation on which to build. People like the looks and the extra features of Aero, why not build an install pack that adds on to XP and gives a user what they want.

There is a Vista Transformation Pack out there for XP, but it requires you to have WindowBlinds as the middleman to make things work properly. Why not simply transform XP's look and feel.

That is the one nice thing about Linux. YOu can customize the look and feel to whatever you want without interfering with the operations of the operating system itself.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

dsldriver wrote:XP is on the way out??

I think MS should be scrapping vista and looking developing XP further. XP is not without its bugs, but it is a good foundation on which to build. People like the looks and the extra features of Aero, why not build an install pack that adds on to XP and gives a user what they want.

I'm going to sit back and watch how this unfolds.

I honestly feel that up to this point in time Microsoft provided consumers with something that they were searching for such as stability, speed and ease of use with each successive offering delivering on one or more of those items.

Now though they have a product that simply doesn't offer consumers anything that they don't already have since they aren't providing more speed or stability at least not in a way that the average user can notice.

Were it not for the fact that their methods guarantee them operating system sales (since they force it on computer manufacturers) I'd venture that sales would be quite dismal if based on stand alone only.

Not hard to sell a product if it's the only one you allow people to buy.

In my books a good product doesn't need to be rammed down people's throats.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I am still running Windows 98 at work. It does what I need, word processing, spreadsheets, email, websurfing. It cacks every once in a while, so I have to do the occasional reboot.

I have XP on my laptop at home. I can't remember exactly when I bought it, but I think it's 4 or 5 years old. IT HAS NEVER CRASHED.

It does everything I need and has never given me a problem.
I figure, why mess with a good thing.

Note: I don't do gaming or anything like that.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

gardengirl wrote:Note: I don't do gaming or anything like that.

Ironically enough even though better gaming through the use of DX10 has been probably the most pushed feature of Vista many gamers are disenchanted with it due to problems and the inability to use many of the older games that they already own.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Windows 98 can be made crash proof to but you need to hack the operating system to make it work. Xp is a more stable idea. Not everyone wants to buy a hummer when there sedan works just fine and gets the job done.

Dx10 on vista is half the speed of Dx 9 on Xp for very little advantage in eye candy. Plus you can hack dx10 and get it on Xp I posted links for that already. If you must run a Dx10 game.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

LoneWolf wrote:

Ironically enough even though better gaming through the use of DX10 has been probably the most pushed feature of Vista many gamers are disenchanted with it due to problems and the inability to use many of the older games that they already own.

Untrue. I can run all of my old games without a problem. By older I mean down to Quake1, and Hexen, which I would not classify as old, but as ancient. For new games, haha... no issues up to CoD4, which is a game that would have stalled out my old rig. If people have a problem installing games on Vista, they would also have problems with XP... Anyone who actually plays games can tell you the OS isn't what makes the gameplay good, it's the hardware that your computer runs it with. OS is maybe 10% of the package... meaning it needs to beable to turn it on.

But yes DX10 is not super impressive, since there are only two programs that have it. It is pretty for eye candy etc. but no big deal. Certainly would not be a valid reason for me to upgrade to Vista. DX10 is not worth an upgrade folks!!! Hold on to your old OS, until a Hardware upgrade becomes a necessity, by then the speed and capacity will be at a cost that is reasonable, and Vista will run easily.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

What two games?
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

SpaceAddict wrote:What two games?

Do you actually want a list?
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Ya just the Dx 10 games. There selling it as the next best thing to sliced bread for gaming. I'm just wondering what games you get to play for all that cash. I could have told people that game developers would avoid Dx10 cause the market is too small. I probably did on a different thread.

One year later what games do we get to play. Remember it's already DX 10.1 making all your Dx10 hardware obsolete.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

SpaceAddict wrote:Ya just the Dx 10 games. There selling it as the next best thing to sliced bread for gaming. I'm just wondering what games you get to play for all that cash. I could have told people that game developers would avoid Dx10 cause the market is too small. I probably did on a different thread.

One year later what games do we get to play. Remember it's already DX 10.1 making all your Dx10 hardware obsolete.

Crisis, Bioshock, and Call of Juarez are the only DX10 games I have tried. I as well, never liked them. Not due to the Graphics, but the game style. Eye candy wise they were awesome. Hell, in Crisis you can shoot everything, and with DX10 it doesn't look like a pile of crap.

I don't know many gamers that don't "Try before they buy" Those are three I didn't waste my cash on... Here's what I currently have installed, and working on this Vista machine... There's more, but I just did a quick screenie... I love hearing the old story that old games don't work on Vista... I used to say the same, before I got it.

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

AlanH wrote:
LoneWolf wrote:

Untrue. I can run all of my old games without a problem. By older I mean down to Quake1, and Hexen, which I would not classify as old, but as ancient. For new games, haha... no issues up to CoD4, which is a game that would have stalled out my old rig. If people have a problem installing games on Vista, they would also have problems with XP... Anyone who actually plays games can tell you the OS isn't what makes the gameplay good, it's the hardware that your computer runs it with. OS is maybe 10% of the package... meaning it needs to beable to turn it on.

But yes DX10 is not super impressive, since there are only two programs that have it. It is pretty for eye candy etc. but no big deal. Certainly would not be a valid reason for me to upgrade to Vista. DX10 is not worth an upgrade folks!!! Hold on to your old OS, until a Hardware upgrade becomes a necessity, by then the speed and capacity will be at a cost that is reasonable, and Vista will run easily.

Because it's untrue for you does not make it untrue for all gamers.

Perhaps your hardware is newer and more compatible but I know when Vista was released there were countless posts on various forums from disgruntled gamers.

I don't game so it's also conceivable that enough patches have been issued to deal with the problem.

Your second paragraph is the first thing I've seen from you that we agree upon 100%.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

LoneWolf wrote:
AlanH wrote:
LoneWolf wrote:

Because it's untrue for you does not make it untrue for all gamers.

Perhaps your hardware is newer and more compatible but I know when Vista was released there were countless posts on various forums from disgruntled gamers.

I don't game so it's also conceivable that enough patches have been issued to deal with the problem.

Your second paragraph is the first thing I've seen from you that we agree upon 100%.

And I agree with your 1st opinion, my hardware is newer... and I was fortunate enough to need the upgrade at this point, rather than a year ago before the bugs were fixed in Vista. I do remember XP and the issues with it when it was 1st released... same arguments as now.

I don't suggest getting Vista without a lot of power... buying it standalone just to get the pretty graphics etc. would be dumb... If you are upgrading to a faster machine, all I am saying is it works just fine. So if you are upgrading, don't worry too much, if you don't need to upgrade, XP is easy to make look just as pretty.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”