Toshiba Cinema DLP Projection TVs

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Toshiba Cinema DLP Projection TVs

Post by crash 99 »

Back on Nov /05 Chevyman bought a TV from a dealer here in town.
Last February the lamp blew out in it. I called Toshiba to see what to do in regards to the warranty.( 1 year Manufacture, 4 year extended in home) I have to say that I was quite impressed when they told me that THEY would honour the warranty and had extended it to 2 years.

Low and behold, a week ago, the lamp blew again. (less than 1 year later!!)

When I went to the Toshiba site this is what I found:

Product Resource: Information for Owners of 2005 DLP® Televisions

To ensure the satisfaction of our customers and to maintain the integrity and quality of our products, Toshiba of Canada Ltd. is issuing an important product update.

Toshiba is committed to customer service and to continuously improving the quality of its products. It has come to our attention that the lamp life of some lamps in a limited number of 2005 DLP television models and serial number ranges may be less than our expectation. As part of our ongoing commitment to customer service, Toshiba is extending the warranty on the originally-installed lamp in those particular 2005 DLP television models and serial number ranges for one additional year (for a total warranty period of two years for the originally-installed lamp) to enable customers with those televisions to obtain a new and improved lamp free of charge if the originally-installed lamp fails. If you own one of the DLP television models listed below, please enter your serial number in the box below to determine if your particular DLP television qualifies for this extended warranty. The serial number can be located on the back panel of the television. Be assured that Toshiba DLP televisions are of the highest quality and this update regards a limited issue.

By filling out the following information, we can determine whether your television is one of the models which requires attention.

Please select your TV model:
46HMX85 52HM85 52HMX85 56HM195 62HM85 62HM95 62HMX85 62HMX95 62MX195 72MX195

Please enter your serial number:

Your DLP television qualifies for the extended warranty period for the originally-installed lamp. If you experience a failure of the originally-installed lamp within two years after your date of purchase of your DLP television, Toshiba will provide you with an improved replacement lamp free of charge. To make arrangements to return a failed lamp, and to obtain a new lamp, please contact Toshiba Customer Service at 1-800-268-3404.

None of which was explained last year. I just thought they were being extra conscientious with their products #-o

Well seeing as Chevy was originally told the the lamps are good for 3-4 years, I figured that we must have received another "dead" lamp. I called Toshiba and was told " the lamps and bulbs are a consumable product and have to be replaced. They only have a life of 1-2 years depending on usage." "Besides, your 2 year warranty has expired, so you will have to call the dealer and order a new lamp." @ $200-$250 a pop....NICE scam!! :-X

After calling around this morning, a very nice young man told us that "there is something definitely wrong with your unit, those lamps are supposed to be good for 6000 hours. Before you spend the cash get someone in to look at it."

WTH??
6000 hrs =250 days @ 24/7
**being nice here, I would be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say maybe 1000 hrs...

Is, or has anyone else having/had problems with these units, or Toshiba in general? :-X
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Return that sucker for a refund or replacement. Not the lamp, the whole damn thing.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

I heard about bulb problem on these machines before. If you didn't pay a fortune for it I'd get something else. Personally me but each to his own.

Here read this. How long have you owned it? Don't the extended warranty cover it ?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/01/23/dl ... -settings/

Bulbs are usually rated in the average life of 50% burnout. So the power up 1000 bulbs and run them when 50% burn out that is there rating. Some may have burned out in a single day. It's the 50% burnout system that the entire planet uses to rate bulbs.

Where did you buy it? Future shops Extended warranty should cover this type of thing. I'd bring the whole thing back too. There is a ton of sites on the web eluding to the fact that there is a problem with these machines.
crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Post by crash 99 »

:200: WOW! Thanks SpaceAddict! Not that I wanted to see all of the nasty reports, but it's good to be made aware that there is a huge problem with just about all makes of these TVs.

Total cost in Nov 05 was just shy of $3700.00
According to Toshiba...No warranty will cover the bulbs, extended or not. :-X (we have 4 year extended)
The dealer told me that they had one in stock, but I would have to pay for it.
Will be calling a service dept. on Monday. :( (lol...good thing I'm temp unemployed, so that they can come over. :wink:)

Thanks again!! :smt023 :124:
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Keep it where it will not get any extra heat like a floor register. If it has one near by plug it. If you keep it cooler they will last longer. The extra heat is killing it and if that is by over site or not we may never know.

I'd check Consumer reports cause to me it looks like there driving the bulb too hard and so that is a flaw not a consumable.

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/ar ... bulbs.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_ele ... oment.html

Put bulb in sell it.. Problem is now though since it's been out for awhile prospective buyers will be able to search for the problems online before they buy it off of you.

Thanks for educating me. Now I know why I don't want one of those machines. Not even if you try to sell me one.
crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Post by crash 99 »

SpaceAddict...My aren't you just the bearer of terrible news.. :1422:

:smt047 Pssst wanna buy a TV?? :smt047

Seriously..Thank you so much for researching this. :124: :smt023
I am hoping that when I call the service guys, that they will have a good answer for me. :127:
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

SpaceAddict wrote:
I'd check Consumer reports cause to me it looks like there driving the bulb too hard and so that is a flaw not a consumable.

If that's the case, maybe a bit of ballast resistance would help, or maybe there is an adjustment for that.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Or even a setting on the remote where you can turn that feature off.
crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Post by crash 99 »

SpaceAddict!

I have a little news for you.. :200: (finally :127: )

Chevyman had bought the extended in home warranty...finally had the time to get the guys to come and pick the beast up on the 1st, and they carted it away. They sent off an inquery to the Insurance company on Monday asking if they will have the okay to do repairs or will we be getting a NEW tv..?? ( [-o< ) {found all of this out today}

**Apparently the powerboard is toasted and that is what's blowing the bulbs.. :smt102

So, suffice it to say it's a "hurry up & wait..." :127:
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

See ? The hell with the excuse it's a consumable. Yes if it made it to it's expected lifetime before failing. It didn't even get close to that number and it did it twice, something else is wrong..

Take no for a answer. They got your cash, make them honor the agreement of extended warranty. You paid for that option. It's just a insurance claim for them and costs them nothing even if they have to give you a new unit. Every company makes a dud once and awhile.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

When you shut that tv off the cooling fans for the bulbs continues to work for a time, it has to, the bulbs get pretty hot.

Power for the fan comes from the power supply. If something happens to the power supply then the fan won't cool down the bulbs and can blow them.

Once the tv is up and running again you might want to get aomething like an APC supply for the fans, That would give power to the cooling fans long enough to cool them off rather than have one blow again.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”