Why are Mac users snobs?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

dogbreath wrote:Embiggen, Thank you for validating the topic of discussion :-)

Seconded. Thanks, Embiggen.

Out of all the programs I use, there is only one - reapeat, ONE - program that I absolutely need that does not have a (often superior) Mac variant available. For that single program, as well as for the ability to test web sites in Internet Explorer, I would have to use Windows under a virtual machine. Other than these two requirements, one of which is not even strictly necessary, I would be able to abandon the Windows world completely.

And I am a power user, with significant software and hardware requirements. The average user should find it much more easy to upgrade to the superior Mac experience.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
Embiggen
Fledgling

Post by Embiggen »

No problem. :smt023
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

rekabis wrote:
So Symbonite, I offer you a challenge: name me any piece of Windows software, aside from Games and “widget-class software”, and I will find for you a Mac equivalent that is nearly as (or, in many cases, even more than) useful as the Windows version you are holding up.

I accept in his stead. AutoCaD
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

nolanrh wrote:
rekabis wrote:
So Symbonite, I offer you a challenge: name me any piece of Windows software, aside from Games and “widget-class software”, and I will find for you a Mac equivalent that is nearly as (or, in many cases, even more than) useful as the Windows version you are holding up.

Do you have the new Civil3D 2008, it's nice to work with.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

nolanrh wrote:
rekabis wrote:

VectorWorks 2008.

Haven’t used it, but I have heard a lot of good things about it. Then there is also

TurboCad
ArchiCad
Cobalt
Pro/Concept

And a cr*pload more that I just won’t take the time out to list.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Are those applications you list compatible with AutoCad? Is there someway to transfer designs between the two?

If not then if you are in an industry that uses AutoCad none of those programs will be an acceptable replacement.

Not being able to manipulate a file in AutoCAD format is a deal breaker.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

What about Microsoft Project? Any format-compatible option for the Mac that can take advantage of a Project server?

Microsoft ActiveSync? Any option on a Mac to allow you to sync your Windows Mobile device with and Exchange server using a Mac?

Anything available for the Mac or Xserve with the power and versatility of Active Directory?
___

Post by ___ »

Embiggen wrote:Granted, since you don't care enough about the subject to properly educate yourself on the difference between MAC and Mac, I'm sure this information will pass you by unheeded. Perhaps it will be of use to someone though.

:12077: I am one of those that typed MAC instead of Mac....perhaps it is as simple as leaving the caps lock on and/or realizing it happened and not assigning it a relative priority to edit....spelling and grammar are often victims in online communication.

Aside from a grammatical correction, off the top of my head, the MAC could be a hard coded address existing on the data link layer(2) of both the 7 layer OSI model and the 5 layer TCP/IP reference model...or not. :127:

am I preoccupied or illiterate??...hmmmmmmm

...and as for validating the thread...I have to wonder is that validating Mac's or snobbery(sp)?? Either way I believe it is a non-issue though mildly entertaining. The elaborate solutions to multi-tasking more than one OS are above the attention span of the AU.

:124:
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

MAC = Mark Anthony Cellars :smt023
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

OffRoad wrote:What about Microsoft Project? Any format-compatible option for the Mac that can take advantage of a Project server?

Merlin 2.5. And yes, it integrates with MS Project Server.

OffRoad wrote:Microsoft ActiveSync? Any option on a Mac to allow you to sync your Windows Mobile device with and Exchange server using a Mac?

PocketMac. And if you have Entourage installed (Office 2008 for the Mac), you will then have Exchange Server connectivity.

OffRoad wrote:Anything available for the Mac or Xserve with the power and versatility of Active Directory?

Macs can work with active directory right out of the box.

*fogs and polishes fingernails on shirt*
Anything else?
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

rekabis wrote:
OffRoad wrote:What about Microsoft Project? Any format-compatible option for the Mac that can take advantage of a Project server?

Merlin 2.5. And yes, it integrates with MS Project Server.

It doesn't say anywhere that it integrates with MS Project server that I could see. There seems to be a lot of "particularities" when importing and exporting MS Project compatible file formats as well.

rekabis wrote:
OffRoad wrote:Microsoft ActiveSync? Any option on a Mac to allow you to sync your Windows Mobile device with and Exchange server using a Mac?

PocketMac. And if you have Entourage installed (Office 2008 for the Mac), you will then have Exchange Server connectivity.

I'll have to look at this one more closely. I'm not sure if Entourage gives you full Exchange features (it's certainly not Outlook). This software also doesn't look nearly as 'mature' as ActiveSync.

rekabis wrote:
OffRoad wrote:Anything available for the Mac or Xserve with the power and versatility of Active Directory?

Macs can work with active directory right out of the box.
Sure Macs will work with AD but where is there an AD equivalent, LDAP or otherwise, that runs on OS X.

rekabis wrote:*fogs and polishes fingernails on shirt*
Anything else?

Thanks for the effort.
___

Post by ___ »

kccayenne wrote:MAC = Mark Anthony Cellars :smt023

:smt082

OffRoad...I have no opinion myself but challenging rekabis seems futile as he/she generally seems to be rather authoritative on subjects he/she contributes to....(not willing to make any assumptions here) :127:

rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

MrBill wrote:

OffRoad...I have no opinion myself but challenging rekabis seems futile as he/she generally seems to be rather authoritative on subjects he/she contributes to....(not willing to make any assumptions here) :127:

Google Definition:

Google wrote:Definitions of authoritative on the Web:

• having authority or ascendancy or influence; "an important official"; "the captain's authoritative manner"
• of recognized authority or excellence; "the definitive work on Greece"; "classical methods of navigation"
• sanctioned by established authority; "an authoritative communique"; "the authorized biography"

Is this what you meant by “authoritative”? If so, thanks.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

rekabis wrote:
MrBill wrote:

Google Definition:

Google wrote:Definitions of authoritative on the Web:

• having authority or ascendancy or influence; "an important official"; "the captain's authoritative manner"
• of recognized authority or excellence; "the definitive work on Greece"; "classical methods of navigation"
• sanctioned by established authority; "an authoritative communique"; "the authorized biography"

Is this what you meant by “authoritative”? If so, thanks.

I believe he meant authoritarian, but I could be wrong there.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

AlanH wrote: I believe he meant authoritarian, but I could be wrong there.

And I’ll wait for his explanation. Funny how a small change in a word can produce such a significant change in the overall meaning of a sentence…

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”