Need help? Laptop Screen -_-

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Beefdip

Need help? Laptop Screen -_-

Post by Beefdip »

Ok i'm geting tired with my laptop screen. A few months back it got this red line. Now it has about 1blue one aaa..green white and a yellow in one big group it dosent get on my nerves but i would like it to go away and the only way i can do that is to put pressure on the side of the screen and well bind it a littile. So i was wondering how much it would cost to repair.....or some one can do it for free :124:
prestigecomputers
Fledgling

Post by prestigecomputers »

What model is it?
Beefdip

Post by Beefdip »

Its a Toshiba A-100

Here a link: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=6267

The one in the link is a bit differnt it dosent have the scanner finger thingy :smt073
Okaview

Lines on screen

Post by Okaview »

Hi.
there is no way you can repair a LCD screen. I can replace the screen for you but for a estimate we need to know the type # and Manf because the use all kind of differend screens. We have to take the front off and see the #. When you will replace the sreen give me a mail and I will give you a free estimate :127:
___

Post by ___ »

It actually sounds like a bad connection from the screen to the main board(given you can make it disappear by twisting it)...loose or oxidized. If you can find a manual for the machine online you could access the connection. Often video cards in desktop units simply need to be pulled out and re-seated. A new pink eraser can be used to clean oxidization from the visible contacts, gently....

:127: ...my first time taking a laptop apart was a bit nerve wracking, but like anything the anticipation is worse than the doing.....if not, then you need to research the local outfits available...my fav is long since gone....

Good luck.... :124:
Okaview

Screen Lines

Post by Okaview »

It is a bad connection in the electonics of the screen but is not repairable,
I am a electronic techn but have had never luck to repair them.
Sorry the only way is replace them,have a couple always in stock.
___

Re: Screen Lines

Post by ___ »

Okaview wrote:It is a bad connection in the electonics of the screen but is not repairable,

Well...it may be, but it may be not...but you cannot know that without checking it...I won't get into a contest of qualifications, and assuming the most expensive option without actively trouble shooting is irresponsible, IMHO....

:124:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

MrBill wrote:
Okaview wrote:It is a bad connection in the electonics of the screen but is not repairable,

Well...it may be, but it may be not...but you cannot know that without checking it...I won't get into a contest of qualifications, and assuming the most expensive option without actively trouble shooting is irresponsible, IMHO....

Without having the item to troubleshoot all you can do is give a guess based on previous experience.
If the op really wants to know what it is then take is somewhere for an estimate.
He asked for opinions..he got them.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
___

Post by ___ »

:smt043...well, basically what I said but with some obvious differences....
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

bsuds wrote:
MrBill wrote:

Without having the item to troubleshoot all you can do is give a guess based on previous experience.
If the op really wants to know what it is then take is somewhere for an estimate.
He asked for opinions..he got them.

I have to agree with Okaview. I've seen this symptom on at least a dozen Toshiba notebooks and the screen was always replaced when sent in for repair.

In my experience, twisting a notebook screen doesn't affect the motherboard connection as much as it affects the internal connections in the LCD. Also, further experience leads me to believe the connection to the motherboard would be an analog signal which could not be disrupted in this way by a bad connection.
___

Post by ___ »

OffRoad wrote:I have to agree with Okaview. I've seen this symptom on at least a dozen Toshiba notebooks and the screen was always replaced when sent in for repair.

Undeniably...though would you agree it is the policy of major manufacturers to replace parts without investigative trouble shooting as more economically feasible?? Parts wholesale in bulk seem to be cheaper than educated tech's to trouble shoot which could be time consuming. I have seen this very scenario in warranty issues from keyboards, PDA's, monitors, etc....interested in your opinion....

OffRoad wrote:In my experience, twisting a notebook screen doesn't affect the motherboard connection as much as it affects the internal connections in the LCD. Also, further experience leads me to believe the connection to the motherboard would be an analog signal which could not be disrupted in this way by a bad connection.

While I will confirm this eventually, the connection from the MB to LCD should be no different than the connection between the video card and MB in a desktop unit....digital, being extended with available DVI technology for external and desktop displays(my external is connected via DVI). The analog conversion is then from the plug on the card to the monitor....this being an advantage of laptop displays.

I welcome any input to clarify this....I don't think I hold a candle to the amount of time SA puts into researching info on the Net :127: I would be disappointed if a link did not show presently on just this topic...

OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

MrBill wrote:
OffRoad wrote:In my experience, twisting a notebook screen doesn't affect the motherboard connection as much as it affects the internal connections in the LCD. Also, further experience leads me to believe the connection to the motherboard would be an analog signal which could not be disrupted in this way by a bad connection.

While I will confirm this eventually, the connection from the MB to LCD should be no different than the connection between the video card and MB in a desktop unit....digital, being extended with available DVI technology for external and desktop displays(my external is connected via DVI). The analog conversion is then from the plug on the card to the monitor....this being an advantage of laptop displays.

I welcome any input to clarify this....I don't think I hold a candle to the amount of time SA puts into researching info on the Net :127: I would be disappointed if a link did not show presently on just this topic...

The link provided above shows this notebook has analog output only and does not have DVI. :127:
___

Post by ___ »

OffRoad wrote:The link provided above shows this notebook has analog output only and does not have DVI.

Analog external screen...the OP is talking about his laptop, or internal, display...BeefDip correct me if I am wrong...which actually corresponds to my comments re: the analog signal leaving the video card to the desktop external display....

Beefdip

Post by Beefdip »

SOoooo........ I couldnt just open the case and clean of the thingys that were talking about becuase i think that just the problem....and if its that easy it wont cost more then $10 and mabey take a 1-2 hours to do.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

Beefdip wrote:SOoooo........ I couldnt just open the case and clean of the thingys that were talking about becuase i think that just the problem....and if its that easy it wont cost more then $10 and mabey take a 1-2 hours to do.

Are you saying you're willing to pay someone... ummm... $5/hr to work on it?

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”