Need help? Laptop Screen -_-

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
___

Re: Screen Lines

Post by ___ »

Beefdip wrote:SOoooo........ I couldnt just open the case and clean of the thingys that were talking about becuase i think that just the problem....and if its that easy it wont cost more then $10 and mabey take a 1-2 hours to do.

hmmmm.....I have to agree with OffRoad here....you are contradicting yourself here BeefDip...a decent tech will charge $50+/hr with 1/2 to 1 hour minimum depending on the job....unless someone is over confident and can take one of those particular machines apart in his sleep....though an hour should be plenty to access the video connection...err, thingys...clean it and determine if that is the problem...still no guarantees....

:124:
Beefdip

Post by Beefdip »

Well $50 hmmmm.....better be 1h job becuase i could see him prolong it to like 4h and make me pay over $200 for mabey a $50 job :1419:
___

Post by ___ »

research, research, research.....look up the kelowna chamber of commerce for companies, and in the phone book....check the better business bureau of bc web site for complaints....and call a bunch of different computer shops, explain the situation and ask them their opinion and rates....get a feel for how they treat you....I would be interested in your results....

:124:
Beefdip

Post by Beefdip »

Ok :smt023
lefty
Fledgling

Post by lefty »

My vote is for internal connections within the LCD panel itself given that twisting it helps. If it were the cable coming from the main unit it would show up more when opening and closing the screen.
Either way it's not an easy fix unless you can get a new cable or a new screen and even then they can be time consuming to take apart and reassemble.

How old is the laptop?
Beefdip

Post by Beefdip »

1year old but well be 2years old in Augest.
lefty
Fledgling

Post by lefty »

That sucks, out of warranty I assume. I think I have the same or similar laptop too!
Did you get the extended warranty? I'm guessing not or you probably wouldn't be asking for help.

I still expect the only complete and proper repair is to likely involve replacing the LCD, I'm not sure how much that would be but I'm guessing it isn't too cheap...a quick search gives me one price of $295 for the screen (plus shipping etc etc), then labour to put it in ~2hrs I bet. We're talking 500+ pretty easy. Does anyone else concur?

You can buy another laptop for that kind of price.

If it were mine, I'd either live with it or take it apart and see if something could be done on the cheap to keep it going longer. All depends on how comfortable you are with doing that.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

155.36 on E-bay for screen
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
lefty
Fledgling

Post by lefty »

bsuds wrote:155.36 on E-bay for screen

That's a little better.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Or if you are using the laptop as a desktop just buy a cheap LCD monitor.
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

I had a problem with my laptop video and sound. Picked up a machine off of Ebay for $140 with a smashed screen on it. The rest of the machine worked fine. Simply took the two machines and built one good one out of it. Now I have a four year old Inspiron that runs as good as the day I pulled it out of the box.
prestigecomputers
Fledgling

Post by prestigecomputers »

I wouldn't bother cleaning the contacts. The problem would be in the screen itself and not the plug and not easily repairable.

Find a replacement screen or dead laptop on ebay and swap the screen. If you're not in a hurry, use an external monitor and watch for deals.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Beefdip wrote:Well $50 hmmmm.....better be 1h job becuase i could see him prolong it to like 4h and make me pay over $200 for mabey a $50 job :1419:

Every Laptop is different. I have taken apart 50+ Laptops apart (and hate doing it everytime) a average laptop should take Min of 1.5 Hours to 2. Why...well you dealing with 30+ tiny screws plus very weak connectors that get damaged really easily so its basically done with delicate hands.

The problem again is the screen and not the connectors. Unfortunatly Iv seen Laptop screens range from 200 bucks all the way up to 400 dollars for the LCD from the manufacture of course. You can buy on Ebay...but you may be buying another persons problem too.

This is the classic case to get extended warranty. If there was anytime to get extended warranty for a computer...laptops is on of them and the reason for it...its way more expensive to repair those things.

So if you are using it for a desktop...buy a LCD Monitor and plug it in the VGA Port.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”