DVR to DVD-RAM to Windows

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
DANSPEED
Übergod

DVR to DVD-RAM to Windows

Post by DANSPEED »

I record movies and shows off the dish onto DVD-RAM discs using my DVR. Ok, if I view the disc contents with the DVR I get a menu showing what's on the disc and from there I can select which show to watch or delete. But if I try and view the disc in Windows using MCE, RealPlayer or any other player it won't play.

If I use a DVD R/W disc instead and finalize it with a menu it will play in Windows with a menu and allow me to select which show I want. The disc will even auto play in Windows.

Looking at the file structure for DVD R/W versus DVD-RAM they both use a different folder/file format.

R/W folders are Video_RM and Video_TS and a .VOB file for each recorded show.

DVD-RAM created with my DVR has one folder named DVD_RTAV which contains one file
for all recordings named VR_MOVIE.VRO

Question. Does anyone know of a Windows video player that will play a DVD-RAM disc with a content menu recorded using a DVR?
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Re: DVR to DVD-RAM to Windows

Post by SpaceAddict »

21. I recently recorded video on a DVD-RAM disk, but I can't view the video on my PC. Since my PC has a DVD-RAM drive, can't I play and edit DVD-RAM recordings on my PC?
DVD-RAM drives for PCs were originally designed for PC data backup applications. Recording video to DVD-RAM is a relatively new development. The file format for video and data differs so they are not directly interchangeable.

The ability to play DVD-RAM recordings on your PC is software and hardware dependent. That is, you have to install a compatible DVD drive in the PC and install the appropriate software on the PC. Several companies are now developing and testing software that will make this possible. The software is in a beta testing stage and we anticipate that in the near future such software will be available. There are no plans for Panasonic to provide this software.

The installation of this software and hardware will allow you to play recordings on your PC. Editing may be possible, though the versions Panasonic has seen did not address editing.

Yes it's not exactly the same thing but it points to it's solution. You need a bit of different software.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Re: DVR to DVD-RAM to Windows

Post by DANSPEED »

Thanks ... I have the hardware it's the software I'm lacking. I didn't think there was an easy answer! Oh well back to R/W's for now.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”