Opera Browser

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Opera Browser

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

SpaceAddict wrote:No you can get it out but it is beyond most users ability. That is why they are in court lots these days. XP it can be removed with a utility and in Vista the only way so far is to custom re-install Vista with a utility with it removed. Don't worry about it, just don't use it.

Good to know SpaceAddict but if a person were to successfully remove it completely what would be the chances of using the Microsoft update site?

Granted I"ve never bothered to pursue it as I don't find it a big deal but I do know that I tried getting to that site using FireFox once and it didn't work worth a hoot.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Well, I've switched back over to Opera. I just cant figure out the tab thing with firefox, and yes I did read the help file. Might be easy for people who understand the technical side of computers, but it is not easy for me.

One little annoyance with both Opera and firefox is that I have to continually log in here, even though I've checked the box, keep me logged in. Oh and they both ask to remember my password, but they dont. Oh well.

~D
___

Post by ___ »

As long as you run a M$ OS keep IE installed. There will be updates, etc that will look for IE and stall without it. Are there work arounds to this?....perhaps, but you could & probably will end up breaking your whole system doing it...I am having problems with the results of some OS customizations and will have to reinstall if I want to fix it entirely.

Neither Firefox (my current fav) or Opera are be alls to everything....someone will get on here and tell you different but consider that YOU will have to suffer the consequences of your actions, noone else.

Caveat emptor.... :124:
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

I never had a computer with IE. The updates if you need them are available on one site. Can't think of it off hand though. I would not recommend it for most. Computer works just fine though with it gone. Most of the updates are for patching holes in IE. If it's missing you don't need them. Do people actually read the updates and see what there for? Most don't apply to the actual operating system. Most apply to there numerous addon programs. If it requires IE it's not necessary for me anyway. Bunch of BS that Microsoft tries to perpetuate. As if they invented the net. Hopefully the EU will step on them good cause the USA is too spineless.

Firefox tabs

Don't understand why you would have so much trouble with tabs. When you first open firefox there is no tabs, if your reading something and come to a interesting link you can right click on the link and pick open in new tab. then you can continue reading the current page.

It's that easy.Image
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

The one singlemost thing I am not liking about Opera right now, is the lack of a Tab Bar as I currently use in Firefox.

In Firefox, using the Bookmarks Toolbar, I can quickly see all my most-used links in a bar at the top, and select them in one click. I also use the same bar for temporary bookmarks of interest that may not currently make it into my Bookmarks.

Opera, as far as I can see, only offers the New Tab -> Speed Dial feature. The Speed Dial feature limits me to only 9 links - I may need more.

In Firefox, if I want to access the Castanet forums, I one click the Bookmark Toolbar and here I am, starting controversy. In Opera, I need to select New Tab, then hunt for the window, then click Castanet.

Speed Dial is actually less efficient.

I see that I can add a custom bar to the browser, but not sure if I can use it for links.

Opera does have a smaller footprint, on the hard-disk, in RAM, and runs a bit faster than Firefox. However, the speed difference is not noticeable.

Opera is missing a "home" button, which I use for Googles Advanced Search page. Now to use Google, I either can type it in the address bar (which I dont like), or again select NewTab->Speed Dial to access it.

Opera lists my imported bookmarks in alphabetical order. I don't want it that way. In Firefox, I organized my bookmarks according to what I used the most, including separators. Opera negates all my awesome organizing, in favor of alphabetical order.. Yuk.

In Firefox, I have Chatzilla installed, along with FireFTP for quick uploads to websites right from the browser. I can't find an equivalent in the Opera browser.

These things, seemingly small, is a large part of my browser use, and I can't help but feel handicapped by it.

Opera has improved since the last time I used it, but at this point, it's just an alternate browser that quite doesn't beat Firefox, at least for me.
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

In Firefox you can add as many links to that bar as you want. Remember folders are also allowed there. I just did a add a new tool bar. Not sure how that works though. I called it bookmarks but I don't see it. I'm sure it's there but I have many tool bars open right now. Remember there is a side bar too if you want. I don't use those though it's too many places to look. Up at the top is fine for me.one more thing I forgot to add, that top bookmark bar is prime real estate, you can gain a lot of room by making the names as short as possible and rely on the icons that show up instead. ie "Astronomy Picture of the Day":APODImage
___

Post by ___ »

FF gives the option to display the tab bar when the browser opens if one wants....

.....my all time fav add-on in FF is CoolIris Preview....hover over a link and an icon appears allowing you to open a smaller preview of the link in a fully functional browser window, surf that link or even links in that link, open it in another tab if you like, while never losing your place in the original browser page.....FF is probably the coolest browser out there.....

....and it works fine in Vista Ultimate too.... :124:
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:Well, I've switched back over to Opera. I just cant figure out the tab thing with firefox, and yes I did read the help file. Might be easy for people who understand the technical side of computers, but it is not easy for me.
~D

I don't know why you'd be having problems with tabs.
All you do with FireFox is go into options and configure it the way you want and most of the options are quite self explanatory really or I'm sure several of us could talk you through it.

I not only use the tabs but installed an add on that gives each tab a different color just to make it easier to see at a glance.

Here's a screenshot.........
Attachments
firefoxscreenshot.JPG
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

If Firefox is too difficult (Wow...), definitely stick to Opera. I prefer Firefox myself. As for Explorer, although I only use it maybe three times a year, I still keep it installed, I cannot see any reason for uninstalling it.

And for something fun there's always SpaceTime by Google, in it's baby stages still.. But kind of fun to play with. It's free, and available here:

http://www.spacetime.com/
___

Post by ___ »

..looks cool....what kind of a foot print does Space Time make on your resources??
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Scynite: Remember folders are allowed on the bookmark bar. Short as possible name works best there and if you got the time you could set up your tabs the way you like for different jobs and bookmark them as a group then add those groups to the bar. Image
___

Post by ___ »

:dyinglaughing:
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

LoneWolf wrote:I don't know why you'd be having problems with tabs.
All you do with FireFox is go into options and configure it the way you want and most of the options are quite self explanatory really or I'm sure several of us could talk you through it.

I not only use the tabs but installed an add on that gives each tab a different color just to make it easier to see at a glance.

Thats because you dont know me..lol. I have been using IE ever since I first started using computers 12 yrs ago, so it's what I know. I know you guys probably think I'm quite the dunce (not mentioning any names....ALAN!), however I'm one of those, show me how to do it and I get it. I'm a visual learner and have always had someone to show me hands on how to do something new on the computer. Now that I'm in NS, I dont have that. It's probably not a big deal as I can get buy with either firefox or opera, but I would like to have the better one. It sounds like from everyone here that firefox is that one. I just need to know how to properly use it I guess.

I've noticed that since switching from IE that I am automatically logged out when I leave Castanet, even though I've checked the box, 'keep me logged in'. It also does not remember my password. This happens with both firefox and opera. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks again for all your input, I appreciate it.

~D :124:
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Are you logging out when you leave? I think I checked a spot that said log me in automatically. If you goof it up the only way to get it back so it will ask you again is clear saved passwords. You know what you need to do is find a geek there that knows how to use firefox that can come on over there and train you a bit and help you set it up. That would be the less painless way. There two spots really you have to set it, on the board and on the browser. The board just log out and then back in and there is a check mark there. Check it. If firefox asks you to remember the password click yes and if it asks you to log you in automatically say yes. That is normally how it usually goes if it's your own computer. You of course never save that stuff on somebody else's computer.

It's really easy, your thinking about it to much and your making it more difficult than it is. If you could figure out IE, Firefox will be a piece of cake. Best is just start using it and learn one new thing per day. Forget the passwords for now just use it and over time you'll get better at it and explore it more. Look around the program see where everything is. There must be somebody in NS that can show you how to use Firefox.Image
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

The first tabbed browser I used was Slimbrowser. At the time, I was fighting with IE 'windows' that stacked and were very annoying. Slimbrowser was small and efficient and used tabs - I never returned to IE ever again. Slimbrowser unfortunately, like most successful upstarts, then started adding too many bells and whistles, and became bloated.

That's when I switched to Firefox.

SpaceAddict wrote:Scynite: Remember folders are allowed on the bookmark bar. Short as possible name works best there and if you got the time you could set up your tabs the way you like for different jobs and bookmark them as a group then add those groups to the bar.

Yes, I'm fine with Firefox. I was just giving Opera another try after not having seen it for a few years. As usual Opera falls short.
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”