Firefox 3 Download Day

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
xipdot

Firefox 3 Download Day

Post by xipdot »

They are going for a record # of downloads of software in one 24 period.

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

Make you pledge and show your support for a great piece of software.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Firefox 3 Download Day

Post by rekabis »

I'm already running the release candidates. Aside from some of my favorite plugins not yet available (c’mon tab mix plus, get upgraded!!), this is one sweet version.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I dont know I have my suspicions. I find the firefox is crashing alot especially with Flash Based stuff on the internet. Firefox in my opinion is starting to become a bit bloated to me since a year ago with all their updates.

And sorry its not my computer....but even friends and their friends having the same problems
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
HanSolo
Board Meister

Post by HanSolo »

Firefox 3 + Flashblock + Adblock Plus = :sunshine:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face – forever.
- George Orwell -
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

The new Firefox is light years ahead of the old one. It's nice. Fast small. Really fast. One of my pluggins that can take over a hour to get a big job done with Firefox 2 in Firefox three takes less than a minute. Of all the tested browsers it comes in first in speed. IE 7 I think tested almost last. There is a thread here on it with links. The new browser is over twice the speed of the present FF2. Can't wait for all the pluggins to get working on it.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Okay, I've had firefox in the past and for whatever reason went back to IE.

I'm going to try again.

Can anyone tell me some simple ways I can make the best use of it? Many people seem to be quite fanatical about Firefox but I don't recall being overly in love with it in the past, maybe I missed something?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
moondog-manson

Post by moondog-manson »

OREZ wrote:Can anyone tell me some simple ways I can make the best use of it? Many people seem to be quite fanatical about Firefox but I don't recall being overly in love with it in the past, maybe I missed something?

There really isn't a simple way. Any time you switch from one application to another for a specific need you are going to need to to get used to it. If you stick with it you should notice a better improvement on surfing the net.

Just like any thing though watch out if you put addons on. Some times they can impact the browsers functionality.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

OREZ wrote:Can anyone tell me some simple ways I can make the best use of it? Many people seem to be quite fanatical about Firefox but I don't recall being overly in love with it in the past, maybe I missed something?

I find it to be far quicker than IE7 and it's not Microsoft ergo more secure.

Best thing really is to not be afraid to play with the settings and configurations.

If you right click a blank area in the top of the window one of the options you will get is "customize" which lets you choose the items you find useful and remove those you don't normally use.

Some of it is naturally trial and error but I've moved things around so that I have what I need in a minimal space.

Keep the add ons to a minimum and you should notice a lot more speed than you can achieve with Internet Explorer.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

What people do not understand about Firefox. The download is bare bones. It's the browser you build to the way you want to use it by adding add-ons to it. Little tiny text file scripts that can be downloaded from here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

There are thousands of them. Some are huge standalone programs in there own right like FireFTP and Imagebot. You build it the way you want, It's roll your own and if there is something that you don't like it's open source you can change it. Try doing that with IE.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”