Can't stream PBS NOVA from Canada!

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Can't stream PBS NOVA from Canada!

Post by DANSPEED »

Apparently I can pay to become a PBS member here in Canada but for some reason I can't stream PBS shows from Canada!

I thought Canada past a free trade law with the US! :dyinglaughing:

Does anyone know how I can stream NOVA from Canada? I'm not asking for anything illegal, gee whiz it's just NOVA!
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Re: Can't stream PBS NOVA from Canada!

Post by SpaceAddict »

Even a proxy server don't work. Oh well write them and give them a piece of your mind..

Kind of odd they take donations but you don't get the content.

You can always do it this way..

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=NOVA&emb=0&aq=f#

Just hope what you want to watch is there.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=N ... +MIG&emb=0
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Thanks SpaceAddict but somehow PBS is one step ahead ...

It's not all the NOVA shows, some I can stream. Anything to do with technology is restricted. I guess they don't trust us!

I'm not really a big fan of PBS in general, every time I tune in there wanting money, money, money!
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

GO CANUCKS GO
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

westsidebud wrote:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/programs/int_spac.html

this works for me

Which show did you pick? I just tried Is There Life on Mars and got the same message.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Okay that article was very helpful, thanks SpaceAddict. Now I can watch NOVA, take that PBS!
mindflow.net

Post by mindflow.net »

In case anyone is still interested in this, you can watch PBS and other US based video sites by using a VPN or possibly using a DNS proxy like usvideo.org

If you don't want to pay for a VPN service, you can use the free version of http://www.securitykiss.com for up to 300mb/day. It is too slow too watch video with, but you can use it with this free software that captures the RTMP stream link and allows you to download the entire video: http://www.foxreal.com/youtube-downloader/

Once you have captured the link, you can disconnect from the VPN and just download via your regular connection. To play the FLV file once it is finished downloading, use VLC player or install XBMC. You can also use any old XBOX that has XBMC installed. That's what I use. It's great. I have a spare one if anyone is interested.
ogleby
Fledgling

Post by ogleby »

Cross-referencing to another topic, you could also try Hotspot Shield, which works fairly well.
How long must a body be buried before a grave-robber becomes an archeologist?
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Hotspot Shield works but I found a better way. You can find all of PBS documentaries in HD quality on rapidshare, megaupload etc.
BelleDiamond

Post by BelleDiamond »

Instructions on how to bypass these problems:

Go to http://hidemyass.com/proxy-list/

Select United States, Anonymity level: High & High+KA, Speed: Fast, Connection Time: Fast, then click "Update Results".

From control panel or from your browser, open Internet Properties -> Connections tab -> LAN Settings -> Uncheck "Automatically detect settings" -> Check "Use a proxy server for your LAN" -> Type in or paste the IP and Proxy of one of the servers you got from the hidemyass.com list.

Save your settings, restart your browser (not sure if this is absolutely necessary), and you should be good to go. If it's not working, open the settings again and make sure that everything's right (e.g. I forgot to uncheck the "Automatically detect settings", and it didn't work)

Good Luck!
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

You should check out Horizon, it's a longer running series than Nova, and the guy who started Nova was actually from Horizon originally (it's a BBC two series that's still running since 1964).

Also National Geographic of late has been quite good.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Roder51

Post by Roder51 »

I think it's totally dumb that Canadians support PBS but yet we can't stream their shows. Makes no sense.
Alexa1994

Post by Alexa1994 »

ogleby wrote:Cross-referencing to another topic, you could also try Hotspot Shield, which works fairly well.

Yes agreed with @Ogleby. I have used it for windows and android works and streaming works fine for me. Although its previous version of 5.2.1 & 5.2.2 did not work well as per users reviews but overall its fair enough to give it a try.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

12220 views since 2009! I should get a Castanet medal or something! [icon_lol2.gif]

Not much has changed with PBS since 2009, I still get "We're sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to right restrictions." Now PBS wants monthly donations! I can watch all the NOVA, PBS documentaries etc. I want on Kodi without all the annoying pledge drives.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”