Computer Parts In Kelowna?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Computer Parts In Kelowna?

Post by 36Drew »

JagXKR wrote:Still getting NCIX sale emails. But if what is being said has any truth then it may be time to bail. Got an U3 SD card for a 4k camera from Amazon and found it was the best price (incl ship) of anywhere. May do more research on that soon to see if I will be getting a new supplier.

It's time to bail. The NCIX locations in Coquitlam and Burnaby are papered over and seem like they're either being emptied or renovated. While they still have NCIX signage on them there are also "Canada Computer - Coming Soon" placards on the doors.

It's very clear that NCIX has shuttered, and has found a new lease holder to take over.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

interesting.... i assume the owners of ncix/directcanada are not part of canada computer ;)

Capture.JPG
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

No. Piecing together conversations with friends as well as NCIX forum posts, it appears that NCIX is broke (expanded too fast). They're closing down their retail stores and going through a restructuring. Canada Computer appears to have taken over the lease agreements from NCIX for their retail locations.

https://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showthread&forum=192&threadid=2760733&pagenumber=126&msgcount=1&subpage=1
https://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showthread&forum=192&threadid=2763163&pagenumber=0&msgcount=0&subpage=1
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I think if you want the latest in computer parts, you may end up doing what a lot of local shops do, order them from a supplier, or newegg.ca(which ships from Richmond), or ncix.com or some place.
If you hike in to a local shop and ask if they have a new coffee lake gen CPU in stock, they may not have it, but can order it for you. I used to do computer stuff from my basement and I purchased parts/computers from various suppliers in Richmond who give 2 year warranty on their computers. I would recommend just buying online, or supporting local industry and getting from a local shop. Not sure if they are competitive. Either way you may have to wait.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Jlabute wrote:I think if you want the latest in computer parts, you may end up doing what a lot of local shops do, order them from a supplier, or newegg.ca(which ships from Richmond), or ncix.com or some place.
If you hike in to a local shop and ask if they have a new coffee lake gen CPU in stock, they may not have it, but can order it for you. I used to do computer stuff from my basement and I purchased parts/computers from various suppliers in Richmond who give 2 year warranty on their computers. I would recommend just buying online, or supporting local industry and getting from a local shop. Not sure if they are competitive. Either way you may have to wait.

Just to clarify, newegg will ship from Richmond if they have the item, however they ship from other locales as well. Over time I've had them ship me things from both the east and west coast of the US.

Not suggesting there's anything wrong with this, just that where it ships from obviously has an impact on delivery time. I've always found it amazingly fast if they ship locally, but it can take some time if they have to source it from the US.

It's not like there's really many options at the moment with NCIX in limbo, as they own Direct Canada too, so I wouldn't trust either place at the moment until they get their problems resolved, if they ever do.

Some suggest Memory Express but my experience with that option is not good, thus I'll be sticking with Newegg for now.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yeah, I just heard that today and noticed they are shutting 4 locations in Vancouver. I guess newegg is most people’s choice unless you can get parts from LCF or ELCO or some other supplier.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Jlabute wrote:Yeah, I just heard that today and noticed they are shutting 4 locations in Vancouver. I guess newegg is most people’s choice unless you can get parts from LCF or ELCO or some other supplier.

Yes apparently Canada Computer is taking those over.

I've never had any dealings with that place so wouldn't mind some feedback if anyone has, particularly online purchases.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

NCIX filed for bankruptcy.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Even Steven wrote:NCIX filed for bankruptcy.

Can't say I'm surprised given that any time I see a company use the term "restructuring" it seems to be code for "going bankrupt".

I'd be interested in those who dabble in building and/or repairing computers, sharing what places they deal with now besides Newegg, that give decent prices and service like Direct Canada and NCIX did.

Preferably places that you have dealt with for a number of years would be most useful.

TIA.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

That's too bad. I have always received great service with quick delivery times from them.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Is there something wrong with NewEgg?

I'm thinking of buying a system and they have some good deals going.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Even Steven wrote:Is there something wrong with NewEgg?

I'm thinking of buying a system and they have some good deals going.

No not at all. I've used them many times and been quite content.

They don't always have what I'm looking for though, so more options is always a good thing.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

https://www.techspot.com/news/72137-nci ... tores.html
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Bye bye NCIX, it’s been mostly a pleasure. Why have many large retail outlets when diminutive ones would have sufficed.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

:biggrin: :up: :laugh:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”