Computer Parts In Kelowna?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Tannah
Board Meister

Re: Computer Parts In Kelowna?

Post by Tannah »

Heh, If you didn't know NCIX started out and still is a whole saler. The prices that you get from them is quite often very close to the price they sell products to resellers. They often buy directly from the manufacturer. Much like Supercom does. This is good and bad at the same time. the good is that if you know what your doing they have killer prices for many goods. The bad is they have poor support for the layperson, and there warrenty sucks on almost everything 30 days then you have to talk to the manufactuer. Which can be quite painful.
In short If your a Technician or you know what you are doing They are great. If your someone who has problems installing RAM then you should stay away from them.

Most Local Computer stores offer 3 to 6 months to 1 year on brand new equipment purchased though them, exchange for the same product or as close as they can get it.
If I say something that is absurdly stupid or annoying. It's Sarcasm!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Tannah wrote:Heh, If you didn't know NCIX started out and still is a whole saler. The prices that you get from them is quite often very close to the price they sell products to resellers. They often buy directly from the manufacturer. Much like Supercom does. This is good and bad at the same time. the good is that if you know what your doing they have killer prices for many goods. The bad is they have poor support for the layperson, and there warrenty sucks on almost everything 30 days then you have to talk to the manufactuer. Which can be quite painful.
In short If your a Technician or you know what you are doing They are great. If your someone who has problems installing RAM then you should stay away from them.

Most Local Computer stores offer 3 to 6 months to 1 year on brand new equipment purchased though them, exchange for the same product or as close as they can get it.

I won't dispute that.

I know my way around a PC so for me they are often a much better value but even more important is the selection.

I happened to pop into one of the local shops today and every motherboard they had was low end and I didn't even see an Intel CPU in stock which is somewhat odd given that i7 is the current thing with i9 already available in places.

It's a pity really as I'd prefer to support local but I have to stretch my funds as far as they can go like many folks so for a number of components buying from a BC outlet is as local as I can get. :)

I'm also not too big on budget parts as I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

What I find the local shops good for is folks who know little about PC's and simply want some inexpensive box that will get them on the net and working with emails.

That's out there and for far less than I can build a PC for as I focus on top end gamer type equipment that can take some punishment and survive over clocking.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Gigamortis
Fledgling

Post by Gigamortis »

I use NCIX never had a problem with them, but I price match everything! The best price matching website I've found so far is http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/ just click on price compare and type in the part# of whatever you're looking for and get the lowest price in Canada. Best part is that NCIX hasn't turned down a single one of my price matches yet (although they don' have to accept price matches) This has saved me at least a couple hundred bucks over the last ten or so orders.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity" -Edgar Allen Poe
bottleman
Fledgling

Post by bottleman »

Gotta put another recommendation for NCIX.
Most stores in town usually sell outdated hardware for outdated prices, ie generations old video cards for the same price as the latest generation and better performer on NCIX. And like someone already said, don't even mention ridiculous cables/adaptors prices. If your in a pinch for something relatively common(usb ethernet vga), try a dollar store first, odds are you can get the same functioning cable for $2.00 rather than $28.95 or whatever.

Customer support has been fine for me, warranty's are usually up to the manufacturer at most places after 30 days so that's not a big deal. When I ordered parts for a system last fall and everything but the memory showed up(because I didn't check if the RAM was in stock when I ordered), I quickly called them up, switched to an in-stock brand, and had the ram to finish my system in a couple days.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

bottleman wrote:Customer support has been fine for me, warranty's are usually up to the manufacturer at most places after 30 days so that's not a big deal.

Sorry I disagree with that. I bought a Motherboard from WYTEK and it had a 1 year warranty. I had a problem with it 11 months later and they replaced it with no problems.

I was back in business the same day. I'm not saying to just buy local but sometimes it has its benefits.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
outcastrc
Fledgling

Post by outcastrc »

On the other hand I bought a laptop for my father from Future shop. FS was chosen due to the fact that the computer would be anywhere in Canada at any given time. So we wanted my father to be able to stop anywhere for service. Even paid the insane extended warranty fee. The hard drive failed after 4 months and FS refused to deal with it. They forced me to send the computer to the manufacturer. (which handled the situation fine once we were able to get it to a address that wasn't a box number) Once the year is up then the extended warranty kicks in and FS will touch the computer. Its a stupid system that caused a lot of frustration due to the circumstance.

As far as small locally owned stores, for the most part I have a hard time getting local companies to honor any warranty issue period. I couldn't tell you how many times I have purchased faulty equipment and the small stores won't touch it. They won't let you return it, they won't handle the warranty on your behalf. They just say call the manufacturer... It would seem this form of customer service is completely up to the individual running the store. And most stores (at least that I deal with) SUCK! :purefury:
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bsuds wrote:
bottleman wrote:Customer support has been fine for me, warranty's are usually up to the manufacturer at most places after 30 days so that's not a big deal.

Sorry I disagree with that. I bought a Motherboard from WYTEK and it had a 1 year warranty. I had a problem with it 11 months later and they replaced it with no problems.

I was back in business the same day. I'm not saying to just buy local but sometimes it has its benefits.

Wytek is the exception in that area and is why I recommended them first.

The owner does a very good job of keeping his customers happy.

If you aren't in a rush he will also go out of his way to bring in an item you want if it isn't regular stock.

The type of service one gets from Future Shop and such you are just as well off buying from NCIX and dealing with the manufacturer should something go wrong.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Wytek does a fantastic job at keeping his customers happy, I would never hesitate to recommend them.

Personally I do all my business through NCIX, great shipping, fantastic prices(especially as a PP member) and the best customer service in the industry imo.

Both companies supply the same basic ideas, one just caters to the people that require face to face interaction, and the other moves towards those that don't need that.

Anywhere else in town I would NOT recommend, due to many experiences that have already been covered in this thread.
raydot120

Post by raydot120 »

If your looking for a real mom and pop operation, that really knows their stuff, gives you the best price and stands behind everything that they do, or in other words are better then 99% of the "professionals", then go to http://www.priceisrightcomputers.com/

They have an excellent record. never heard of a bad story about these guys.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I would say NCIX does a pretty good job. Chatting with sales reps they will occasionally give you discounts for multiple items. I only once had an issue with NCIX when they delayed a shipment because the item was listed too cheaply on their website... after a month I asked where my shipment was and they requested me to add another $50 to the order (of an HP prime calculator for $111.00). I refused and told them to honor their listed price, and then they sent it.

Sometimes I go to the place on Cooper road beside the mall (National Computer Resource) or something like that.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
D_Man
Fledgling

Post by D_Man »

Jlabute wrote:I would say NCIX does a pretty good job. Chatting with sales reps they will occasionally give you discounts for multiple items. I only once had an issue with NCIX when they delayed a shipment because the item was listed too cheaply on their website... after a month I asked where my shipment was and they requested me to add another $50 to the order (of an HP prime calculator for $111.00). I refused and told them to honor their listed price, and then they sent it.

Sometimes I go to the place on Cooper road beside the mall (National Computer Resource) or something like that.

NCIX is done, check their forums
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

D_Man wrote:
Jlabute wrote:I would say NCIX does a pretty good job. Chatting with sales reps they will occasionally give you discounts for multiple items. I only once had an issue with NCIX when they delayed a shipment because the item was listed too cheaply on their website... after a month I asked where my shipment was and they requested me to add another $50 to the order (of an HP prime calculator for $111.00). I refused and told them to honor their listed price, and then they sent it.

NCIX is done, check their forums

Define "done", it says they are closing stores, restructuring and focusing on online sales.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
D_Man
Fledgling

Post by D_Man »

read through some of the posts and all the cancel order threads and zero communication, the guys from NCIX that used to post on the forums daily have gone MIA for the past couple weeks, I cancelled an order for over $1000 Oct 2nd you litteraly can't contact them at all, their call back system no longer works, I am still waiting fo probably 10 call backs, and finally had to do a chargeback last week to get my money back, and I am not the only one.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

D_Man wrote:read through some of the posts and all the cancel order threads and zero communication, the guys from NCIX that used to post on the forums daily have gone MIA for the past couple weeks, I cancelled an order for over $1000 Oct 2nd you litteraly can't contact them at all, their call back system no longer works, I am still waiting fo probably 10 call backs, and finally had to do a chargeback last week to get my money back, and I am not the only one.

Thanks.

I only read the notice threads not any of the others.

Do you know if this applies to Direct Canada as well?

I ask because I noted some time back that certain items I would purchase were shipped by either or, so I figured it must be the same operators or some sort of connection.

ETA: I have to assume this involves Direct Canada as well, since it is listed as a division of Netlink Computer Incorporated which is NCIX.
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Nov 25th, 2017, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Still getting NCIX sale emails. But if what is being said has any truth then it may be time to bail. Got an U3 SD card for a 4k camera from Amazon and found it was the best price (incl ship) of anywhere. May do more research on that soon to see if I will be getting a new supplier.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”