Bell TV HD receivers obsolete

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Bell TV HD receivers obsolete

Post by Bsuds »

Just a heads up for anyone looking to buy used HD receivers for Bell TV.

The 9200 PVR and 6100 HD models will soon quit working.

Bell is replacing these models for free and some people will try and sell the old ones knowing they will stop working.

Save yourself the trouble and "Do Not Buy" either of these.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
soontoberetired
Fledgling

Re: Bell TV HD receivers obsolete

Post by soontoberetired »

Bell gave me a 6100 free within the past two months. I cannot imagine that they would send a tech out here for an hour if this model was going to be withdrawn!
If you cannot stay young, stay immature!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/10/bell- ... receivers/

Sorry should have provided a link in the first post.
soontoberetired
Fledgling

Post by soontoberetired »

I recently spoke to a Bell customer rep. I was told that I would have my HDPVR's replaced with the new models. I was told that there would be no cost to me and no increase in monthly fees. This included a replacement for a HDPVR which I own outright.
If you cannot stay young, stay immature!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

That's right. I started this thread to warn people who might be wanting to BUY used equipment. There is no point in buying the old HD stuff as it won't work soon. There are still some listed in the want ads.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I would like to get 200 channels for under 30 bucks a month. Ha!
Its getting tiring trying to decipher all the spammy junk mail from the providers.
Perhaps someone in the know can tell me the best deal out there for television without having to sign contracts or purchase 'packages'.
Anyone care to comment?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bump. There are still people advertising these obsolete receivers for sale! Buyer's please be aware that they no longer work!
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

"Obsolete" can sometimes be a confusing word depending on how it is used Suds, but there's some interesting conversation going on around the 'net regarding this issue, as there are still lots of functional 6100's out there that are owned (usually as second out of warranty receivers) but won't be replaced under the swap program. The trick seems to be ensuring a used unit has a current smartcard, or you can get one from Bell. From what I can gather the claim that they will "stop working" only has to do with certain new HD channels Bell intends to add, and the MPEG 4 issue associated with them. I suppose if one knows exactly what he/she is buying and its future limitations related to HD programming it would be OK, but then if Standard Definition receiving is all that is of interest, then a model 4100 would be a better choice perhaps as a second receiver, or even a 2700. Anyway, in trying to find out the straight goods about the 6100 situation this is the best I have come up with so far... Note that it specifically relates to HD channel functionality... and now that Bell has officially advised 6100 users of the swap program it is doubtful that the answer is entirely correct in the sense that they will replace any 6100's that were purchased and activated after the advisory. They still should work though provided they are properly activated and don't have technical "issues", and if they don't come with a current smartcard that may involve an additional cost to get one from Bell.

Question... I have a chance to pick up a 6100 for a good deal, my question is will it pick up all the channels that my 9242 will? I've been reading about the different mpeg2 and mpeg4 just not sure the 6100 will pick up all the HD channels offered by bell?
It has a current smartcard.

Answer...
Right now it will - for how long who knows.

But, Bell will send you a free 6131 or 6141 when MPEG 4 comes.

So if you can activate it - do it now!

If anyone knows any different than the above, it sure would be nice if you would share, or even if Bell would get some decent clarification out to the public as to the straight goods other than they are "obsolete" and will "quit working".. Heck, there are a lot of "obsolete" computers out there too, but they work fine for what the owner uses them for.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

9200 quit working, called Bell and they said yup don't work no more, too bad soo sad.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Bsuds wrote:9200 quit working, called Bell and they said yup don't work no more, too bad soo sad.

Did they say why? Wouldn't they have had to do something to it to make it quit working? If someone did that to a piece of gear I owned I think I would get some upset with them. But if it is rental thus their gear, I suppose they can do anything they want with it if they have replaced it with something else.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Was a rental that they sent us a replacement for so they can do as they please. They are/did switch to mpeg4 format so the old ones will no longer work for hi def. My main point is they either now do not work or will not soon with the new format so people should not be trying to sell the old models. (they are still showing up in the classifieds on Castanet and elsewhere)
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

My impression from reading material I found on line was that they will not work with a few HD channels Bell is adding that are MPEG4, the rest will work as well as all StD channels. Personally I see nothing wrong with people selling and buying such receivers so long as they who buy them know exactly what they are getting and their limitations. Plus I think it would be very wrong of Bell (possibly even illegal) to totally disable a receiver that someone owned (rather than rented) and had activated legitimately. Somehow that strikes me as being similar to if GM somehow disabled your car in order to force you to buy or lease a new one with added features that only they can supply and will potentially charge you extra for if you even decide you want them in your programming/features package.

But I can fully understand Bell disabling a rented receiver after having provided a customer with a new one free to replace it. But I also think they should be required to take the disabled rented one back rather than leaving it to the customer to dispose of it (and possibly try to sell it to some unsuspecting mark). If I recall correctly, Bell allows up to six or seven receivers to be activated and connected to one account at no additional charge, but that said - as always it is buyer beware when purchasing anything used, particularly if you cannot test drive it first, and in the case of used Sat receivers check their activation validity with the current owner AND with Bell before you pay for it.

Nab
Last edited by NAB on Jan 12th, 2012, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

From digital home forum. Bell will not be activating these receivers so people should not be trying to sell them!

"Edit by 57 - 2011.10.25. You should not sell or buy 9200 or 6100 receivers since they are being phased out and BTV will not activate them. See link below for more on the topic: (They can still be used for OTA so they may have some value to someone interested in that option)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...97#post1342097 "
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

But what if it is already an owned and activated receiver? That's my point, why should they even think they have the right to deactivate an owned and functional receiver, unless the owner is in arrears in his/her subscription, regardless of some HD channel compatibility?

IMO they shouldn't.

Edit: That link doesn't work for me for some reason...

Nab
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

They have replaced all the receivers for free, whether they were owned or rented. So they are within there rights to deactivate them.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”