Windows 8

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
peachlandnotary

Windows 8

Post by peachlandnotary »

Windows 8 is slowly turning me insane. Can anyone provide me with some insight as to why Microsoft had to go and mess with a good thing? Every time I drag my mouse across the screen the charms bar comes up and I have done everything I can to disable it!

:hangman:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Windows 8

Post by Bsuds »

My charms bar only pops up when the mouse is in the top or bottom right corners.
If yours is coming up when you just move the mouse? If so could it be a mouse driver setting/problem. Do you have the latest drivers from the manufacturer.
I have 2 computers running win 8 and do not have a problem.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
peachlandnotary

I am just using the mouse on my laptop. Should I get a separate mouse? (to be fair it's not "every time I move my mouse" but it's often enough to make me want to throw my laptop out the window). It's a brand new laptop so I can't see it having problems already!
Can I downgrade to windows 7?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

peachlandnotary wrote:Can I downgrade to windows 7?

That is not recommended by some of the manufacturers and in some cases may not even be possible.

I would definitely get a proper mouse as it will make it a much better experience. If you use it in many different places a "Bluetrack" mouse will work on almost any surface. Also get a wireless one with the mini USB dongle, then it's not in the way.

Like this one for example.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/mic ... 8e915ben02
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
peachlandnotary

thanks for the tips!!!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You're welcome. Most laptops will also have a way to disable the touchpad so that when you are typing, if you hand happens to touch it it will not inadvertently move the cursor. That can be super annoying.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

I bought windows 8 pro online from M$ and did a digital download.From that download I saved the installation onto a flash drive and DVD. The installer made both bootable. When booting up from both media, I attempted to install windows 8 pro. After pressing the install now button, a window pops up saying the product key does not match any windows images available for installation.

when I press the ok button, it cycles through from install now to the message going in an endless loop.

I want to be able to do a custom install whereby I can do a clean install of the OS. I cannot do that when I boot from the usb flash drive OR DVD that was created by the microsoft installer!

the only way to install windows 8 pro is from within windows, in this case windows 8. however, by doing this procedure it does NOT allow me to do a CUSTOM and CLEAN install!!

FYI i bought the asus S56cm at londondrugs, has 24 GB SSD and 1TB hybrid drive.

called M$ about the issue, level 1 couldnt help, level 2 says the problem may be cuz of something called OEM activation (OA) 3.0 http://static.ultrafastcdn.com/images_p ... vation.jpg

M$ called today and said they are sending me a full edition of windows 8 pro dvd for "testing purposes". I am to boot up from the dvd and determine if I can enter the product key and do a custom install.

what is strange is that I am able to use the USB thumb drive installer on my desktop, which has windows 7 pro. I am able to boot up from the thumb drive and am able to enter the product key AND do a custom installation including a "clean install". (I didnt complete the installation, just wanted to see if I could get past the initial screen that I get on the laptop.)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I upgraded 2 machines. My MSI laptop from Win 7, 32 bit version. upgrade saved all my files no problem.
Also did my Desktop win 7, 64 bit ver, It wouldn't upgrade and I had to do a clean install. Funny thing is it made a file called old windows which had all my files in it! The file was 80g so I am making sure I have everything then I will delete it.

Bottom line after using Win 8 for about a month is unless you are like me and like trying new stuff then don't bother.
There are some things I like about it and others I don't. Neither of my computers have touch screens so some things are annoying.

The other thing that *bleep* me off is my Brother Multi function printer has no drivers (Yet) for scanning in
Win 8, They are supposed to be available soon.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

The charms bar issue is more a user thing than anything else.

The charms bar(while a useless PITA, agreed) only comes up when you hover in a corner on the left top and bottom.

Once you get used to avoiding those areas it's not bad, but for those that do things a little slower than most it's a tough change.

As to the USB issue, have you been using/trying windows 7 USB DVD download tool. It's great and hasn't skipped a beat for me with either W8 installs or any of the other iterations. If you have, then it sounds like an odd usb boot issue, are you using a USB3 stick?

W8 isn't worth the frustration of learning everything over again. It's a solid OS, but the changes are too much and absolutely pointless in MANY instances.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

the installer from windows 8 put all the boot info and the windows 8 pro info onto the flash drive/thumb drive so there was no need for the window 7 usb/dvd download tool. i tried/installed windows 8 pro set up onto 4 thumb drives, all with the same result.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Lucky you! In here, I keep banging the mouse against the side of the screen and nothing comes up. I actually have to shake my screen and kick the computer while swearing at it in order to get to the control panel. And even then, everything is upside down.

Stupid windows 8. I hate you for even existing.

I wish I was running MAC or LINUX.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Linux is free, if you want it, go get it...

If you want to use Windows 8, just remember this: Windows Key + X. This will bring up the panel you need to function normally while in desktop mode. That, or just install classic start menu.

PS. If you have done the process 4 times to no avail, then you are doing something wrong.
Grab your ISO and go forward with the USB tool, you pc should boot from the USB no problem. Then go ahead and install W8 normally.

Unless you are trying to install W8 ON a USB and using the USB as the main drive... That's a different story, I'll go back and read the thread again. I may have missed that.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

as i said, twice now, the usb key does boot up on the asus s56cm, which already had windows 8 on it. I bought a windows 8 PRO update direct from microsoft with a DIRECT "digitial" download (because they were only charging $39 instead of $69 at BB, LD, FS). when the setup boots up it stops saying the product key doesnt match

img 1.jpg

also, I indicated that i used the SAME USB key and booted up my desktop and was able to proceed to enter the product key and doing a custom installation.

the M$ level 2 tech indicated it could have something to do with the OEM activation 3.0 implemtation and that an upgrade version of windows 8 pro wouldnt work. that is why M$ is sending me a FULL version of windows 8 pro (trial purposes only, *wink wink*) to try and see if I can get past the screen where it says the product key doesnt match and able to enter the product key and do a custom install.

if anyone wants to try it on their windows 8 pro capable machine, PM me, I can give you a link to download and create a usb or dvd bootable setup. lets see if you can get past the block and are able to get the product key screen.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

:popcorn:
Reading this thread is like watching a foreign movie without the english subtitles.
You can see it ( read it ) but can't comprehend it. :127:
Maybe one day I can be as savvy ... I'm a dreamer ...
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

I'm not even running Windows 8 and it's already causing me problems thanks to Windows 7 update KB2592687 which caused MCE on the remote system to crash via RDP! ... That updates gone!

I'm staying with Windows 7, nothing I need in Windows 8. Every time I'm forced to update (i.e. Vista) I lose support for a few older devices and apps. Windows 7 works for me.

For SmokeOnTheWater:

MCE - a Windows program you can record/play TV
RDP - allows you to control another computer remotely
crash - not good!
apps - applications (programs)
devices - TV tuner, printer
Windows 7 - not Vista
Windows 8 - something new so gotta have it

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”