Shaw VS Telus Optik

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
underscore
Übergod

Re: Shaw VS Telus Optik

Post by underscore »

No, you can't. But if you've already got lines run between the cities, then the connection costs within the cities should be the same, give or take.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

No, it's really not.

The profit level isn't nearly the same as the actual customer base is smaller per km. How do you not understand that?

In Canada, in order to have sufficient coverage AND provide a superior service, they need to install MORE infrastructure(a lot of it is dead space as well, consider the fiber being run to Nelson area currently), in order to cover less customers over-all.

Higher cost, less profit.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

You're talking about areas like Nelson, I'm talking about Kelowna, Vancouver, Calgary, etc. They will undoubtedly need to add more infrastructure to certain areas, but it's not as extreme as they make it sound. The way Bell talks about it you'd think they ran a connection from Toronto to Vancouver all by their onesies.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Now you're putting words in my mouth.

I'm using an area like nelson as a quick example because Shaw, themselves, are running new fiber out to that area. A VERY expensive venture, even though the population in that area is far and few between.

My examples using Kelowna, Van, etc are still the same, we are very spread out and it costs much more to deliver content to us.

Bell attempted to start running their own lines out here, but they stopped because it's cheaper just to lease the existing ones.

You seem to think that the gov't backbone should solve all of our issues in Canada. The backbone is literally just that. A backbone. The real costs start to add up after that.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Loed wrote:
As stated in another post, the government helped out with the major backbone, not the last mile connections which are the bulk of the cost and require a much higher investment over time.

I pay $75 a month for BB50 with shaw and I abuse the hell out of out, I'm maxing if not doubling my allotted B/W monthly.
For just over $2 a day I get a service that provides me(personally) with an entertainment value 10 times that amount.

There is nothing I can do that costs me $2 a day that provides the same experience as what my BB50 gives me.

Same here buddy.

The whole "it's this much in Japan" argument is just ridiculous. I'm not saying broadband companies don't overcharge, because they do, but it's really not a scam. If you really wanted proof you could look into the numbers for a company like Shaw. Endless millions spent on infrastructure upgrades over the past few years and still going, that's where all this extra money is going. They're running fibre all over, they're investing on things like the Anik G1 (satellite), and at least in my opinion, the only company in the country actually making attempts to get our services to the standards of other, denser places.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

Got the first bill. $85 telus, shaw was $149. Is it apples to apples? I would say yes in my case with the exception perhaps of some channels I may not have watched previously or now. Had to call support and got someone who spoke my language, wait was less than 3 minutes....

Just FYI.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

You're only fooling yourself if you think you get the same service as you did with Shaw with that much of a difference, or you're not telling the whole story. Good to hear you got someone who spoke English competently, that one can be pretty frustrating.

Edit: I'd like to see Novus come to the Okanagan and shake things up.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

livewire wrote:Got the first bill. $85 telus, shaw was $149. Is it apples to apples? I would say yes in my case with the exception perhaps of some channels I may not have watched previously or now. Had to call support and got someone who spoke my language, wait was less than 3 minutes....

Just FYI.

I'm glad you're able to keep living in that denial.

All that you're showing me here is that you were too ignorant/stubborn to ask shaw to change your package, and too lazy to do the research yourself. Then when telus came a-knocking you were already bitter towards shaw(at no fault of their own), and instantly took the "awesome" promotions they give out.

I could save money by switching to telus right now too, promo's are awesome like that. They even went so far as to offer me a free TV(if i signed up for a 3 year contract...).

Telus does not guarantee their internet speeds past 15% of their advertised limit. Shaw guarantees 80%. If you don't use that much internet both parties have a package that's affordable and entry level.

You claim the "only difference" might be the channels. That can make up a HUGE difference, and since you're reluctant to show us what you were subscribed to and what you are now subscribed to we can only assume that you know where the difference is and, again, your stubbornness is shining on through.

I'm glad that you were able to find something and save a bit of money, that's always fantastic! Just stop lying about it. If you were with shaw for 6+ months prior to switching to telus then you are on a promotion. That's how it works, and telus will NOT tell you about it unless you explicitly ask.

Funny point about the english speaker. Did you know that telus commonly farms out their basic support infrastructure to other countries? Shaw keeps it all at home, sure some people may not be fluent in English(an ignorance I refuse to let go of, you're in Canada, speak french or English fluently or else you shouldn't be allowed to work), but at least they are Canadian and most commonly local.

I'd love to see Novus spring up here, or teksavvy get some better foot holds in the okanagan. Novus won't come up here though, they are a unique company in that regards and we just don't have the infrastructure/population to make it worth their investment.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

StraitTalk wrote:
Same here buddy.

The whole "it's this much in Japan" argument is just ridiculous. I'm not saying broadband companies don't overcharge, because they do, but it's really not a scam. If you really wanted proof you could look into the numbers for a company like Shaw. Endless millions spent on infrastructure upgrades over the past few years and still going, that's where all this extra money is going. They're running fibre all over, they're investing on things like the Anik G1 (satellite), and at least in my opinion, the only company in the country actually making attempts to get our services to the standards of other, denser places.

They really are making an attempt to improve.

As a business it's ridiculous(IMO) to invest in the fiber to feed the Kootenays! Yet they are doing it so that they can better server their clients out in that area because they KNOW there is an issue and rather than just cut it off and say "sorry you're stuck with satellite" like bell/rogers out east, they are investing in infrastructure on their own dime in order to give that VERY small population a boost in internet access.

These same people constantly *bleep* and moan about the lack of speed, yet never look at the big picture. Nor do they realize that shaw is the only one out there providing them with anything remotely resembling high speed. Telus has 5 or 6 hub sites out there and that's all they offer. You pay $25 bucks for no more than dial-up speeds because you're so far from those sites.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I have Family members that live in this valley and all they can get is dail-up... no high speed at all from neither Telus or Shaw.

No time frame when they will be getting high speed.
Last edited by GordonH on Feb 26th, 2013, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I sometimes get the feeling that Shaw employees are regular posters here.
Your bias suits you.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

I've tried 3 times to respond to my OP....
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

Woodenhead wrote:I sometimes get the feeling that Shaw employees are regular posters here.

I'm surprised their Internet stays up long enough for them to make posts :P
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

In my experience, everyone has at least one provider they hate, and one they really like, and the one they like is usually the one they're with. It's only natural to want to defend the provider you're with. Even so, I concede that no provider in the Okanagan get's me the service I want for a price I feel is fair.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

StraitTalk wrote:no provider in the Okanagan get's me the service I want for a price I feel is fair.

Yep. And I had the same experience back in southern Ontario, too. :(
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”