Shaw VS Telus Optik

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Shaw VS Telus Optik

Post by Omnitheo »

If you have a problem with your service, it helps to contact the service provider to have them resolve the issue. Switching providers doesn't necessarily resolve any issue.

That said, I see people complaining about speed and connection. Firstly, are you talking about wired or wireless devices? Quite often internet issues are simply a result of wireless interference, and changing your router or wireless broadcast settings can resolve that.

While no service provider is perfect, I have been much happier with Shaw than I ever was with Telus. Telus fastest internet service where i live is up to 25Mbps, but as i'm a ways up the street from their node, I would never see it go past 10. When I would call them, they would tell me this is normal. They have no solution to this either. i can say their wifi modems are pretty consistant.

Also Telus service, if the phone rang, my TV would go choppy. Apparently you can only use so much HD content, internet, and phone at the same time before maxing our their archaic twisted pair cable technology.

So switching to Shaw, I have BB50. My node is saturated, which basically means that at peak times not all of that 50Mbps is available. This is a known issue, and planned to be resolved by April. (even still though, I'm getting over 30Mbps at the worst, and 49 at the best depending on time of day). Shaw also has BB100 in my area, and mentioned that soon I could even get 250Mbps, that's about 10 times Telus max theoretical connection speed. I don't really like Shaw's current wireless routers, i think Telus had better wifi technology. Either way, I went out and bought a nice Netgear wifi router, and I use that for Wifi.

Telus tried all sorts of things to keep me, they said they had more HD channels than shaw. While this appeared to be true, it turns out that their definition of an HD channel is at least 30% HD content. Most of the shows were still SD. Shaw has a few dozen HD channels, but I was told that they have much stricter guidelines, and that all HD channels have at least 80% HD content. I found out Telus is also losing Spike TV which my roommates watch a lot.

While I can't PVR with my x-box on shaw, they did have a number of hardware options. I heard about the problems with their HD box. Turns out this hardware is about 2 months old, and they're doing almost weekly updates to get the guide performing to the same level as the old guides. Either way, I took their gateway option. It's 1 box that sits in a closet, and 4 of my TV's in the house all connect to it, and share the PVR recordings. I don't want to sound like an advertisement for the gateway, but it's a pretty cool system and I couldn't imagine cable without it.

All in all, I'm happy, and I'm glad I spoke to a number of reps across both companies to educate myself and make a proper decision. Also, my Shaw service price is a bit more expensive than my expired Telus promos, but I have a lot more service than I did before. Even a 3x increase in my internet speed has made a world of difference.

I didn't get their Home Phone. I decided to just stick with my cell. I have service through Rogers at the moment but absolutely hate it. I'm thinking I might have to do a bit of checking around there as well, but unlike my Telus one, I'm still in the middle of a contract with Rogers.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
RosscoH

Post by RosscoH »

I'll be switching to Telus Optic this week from Bell. Bell's prices keep going up.( almost 100% in the past 8 years)

I was told by Telus -fiber optic lines will run directly to my house, they will then link to the existing coax cable system.
-PVR does record 1080i.
-I can watch HD on 3 TVs at once.
-no shared bandwidth issues.

But, the proof is in the pudding, and I won't be getting my pudding till Thursday.
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

RosscoH wrote:I'll be switching to Telus Optic this week from Bell. Bell's prices keep going up.( almost 100% in the past 8 years)

I was told by Telus -fiber optic lines will run directly to my house, they will then link to the existing coax cable system.
-PVR does record 1080i.

But, the proof is in the pudding, and I won't be getting my pudding till Thursday.

Well you got 2 out of 4 correct on there.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

And how much will you save? I did a comparison not too long ago and the difference was within $10 and I can use the Satellite in my trailer when I travel.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

RosscoH wrote:I'll be switching to Telus Optic this week from Bell. Bell's prices keep going up.( almost 100% in the past 8 years)

-PVR does record 1080i.

yeah...telus says a lot of things. I bet they wish they had no shared bandwidth issues, or used actual fiber optic lines.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

I bet they wish they had no shared bandwidth issues, or used actual fiber optic lines.

For customers who have FTTH (that would be the stuff delivered on actual fibre optic lines), TV is delivered in addition to your Internet bandwidth. On VDSL there are limitations for sure (i.e. TV bandwidth eats into your Internet bandwidth)
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

HP wrote:For customers who have FTTH (that would be the stuff delivered on actual fibre optic lines), TV is delivered in addition to your Internet bandwidth. On VDSL there are limitations for sure (i.e. TV bandwidth eats into your Internet bandwidth)

FTTH is about 1% of their install base atm.

Telus does not have many FTTH home installs at this time. They have bulk buildings done in this manner though.

Also, I've seen some odd FTTH installs. FTTH, then they use twisted pair inside the home.

Good luck getting your advertised service!
enstds

Post by enstds »

Read the fine print of your 3 year contract with TELUS OPTIC Ripoff
When I signed up they offered me "electronic billing" I replied that no I needed to see a hard copy of billing so I can see when I am being ripped off by them. Remember years ago when they offers the free trials at no cost and when you don't initiate the cancellation they just started billing you!

Well all of a sudden they started charging $2.00 per month for paper billing, did I sign up for that when I signed the contract? NO not even in the fine print! A service provider with a conscience about doing the right thing would have offered a $2.00 per month off if you to convert to digital billing? YES? not telus ripoff.

Now read the fine print on your Feb Bill, as of Mach's bill;
* High Speed Internet +$5.00 per month, did I sign up for that when I signed the contract? NO
* Optic TV Movie 4 pak +$1.00 per month, did I sign up for that when I signed the contract? NO
* Super Channel rate change +1.00 per month, did I sign up for that when I signed the contract? NO
* Optic TV rate change +$5.00 per month, did I sign up for that when I signed the contract? NO

Bottom line is you sign a 3 year contract with them that allow them to charge you what they want.

TELUS RIPOFF
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Telus wanted our strata council to sign an access agreement to run their new lines to all our buildings wherever/however they want. We asked for a schematic, they didn't have one. Strike one. Included in that agreement was a clause that prohibits our complex from entering into similar installation agreements with competitors to do upgrades or even marketing on site. Strikes two & three.

We Denied them access.

After we decided this, our management company then told us most others declined it as well. I wonder how many stratas caved to the pushy rep and signed it without fully understanding what exactly the deal entails. How on earth is it going to play out when some owners get told they can only get Telus's upgrade because Shaw wasnt allowed to upgrade their lines on the premises.

I use telus for phones & internet without hassle, so I'm pretty disappointed with the whole agreement they tried to push on us.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

enstds wrote:Read the fine print of your 3 year contract with TELUS OPTIC Ripoff
When I signed up they offered me "electronic billing" I replied that no I needed to see a hard copy of billing so I can see when I am being ripped off by them. Remember years ago when they offers the free trials at no cost and when you don't initiate the cancellation they just started billing you!

Well all of a sudden they started charging $2.00 per month for paper billing, did I sign up for that when I signed the contract? NO not even in the fine print! A service provider with a conscience about doing the right thing would have offered a $2.00 per month off if you to convert to digital billing? YES? not telus ripoff.

Now read the fine print on your Feb Bill, as of Mach's bill;
* High Speed Internet +$5.00 per month, did I sign up for that when I signed the contract? NO
* Optic TV Movie 4 pak +$1.00 per month, did I sign up for that when I signed the contract? NO
* Super Channel rate change +1.00 per month, did I sign up for that when I signed the contract? NO
* Optic TV rate change +$5.00 per month, did I sign up for that when I signed the contract? NO

Bottom line is you sign a 3 year contract with them that allow them to charge you what they want.

TELUS RIPOFF

Shaw just added 5 bucks to my bill too. No warning, no info, no nothing. I'm sick of being nickel and dimed, so I called and was told basically "prices went up". It motivated me to finally cancel the cable portion of our service. Then the guy in the cancellation department offered me free cable for 6 months and I took him up on it... So I save 10 or 15 in the end.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

All of the major providers are ripoffs. Pick your poison, then bend over.
Your bias suits you.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Scadam wrote:Shaw just added 5 bucks to my bill too. No warning, no info, no nothing. I'm sick of being nickel and dimed, so I called and was told basically "prices went up". It motivated me to finally cancel the cable portion of our service. Then the guy in the cancellation department offered me free cable for 6 months and I took him up on it... So I save 10 or 15 in the end.

My notice was written on my bills for the 2 months leading up to it. You might want to go back and re-read your bills. But yes, unfortunately prices do go up. My Cell Phone prices have gone up, my electricity has gone up. Gas has gone up. It's inflation, and no product or service seems to be immune from it these days.

Anyways, I had a Telus rep come to my house the other day. He told me that Telus had finished installing a fibre optic line directly to my house. Not sure why they'd do this, i have no service with them. I doubted the validity of this statement, so I asked when this had been done, but he would not answer, simply stated "you are one of the few houses in Canada with this". I found this interesting as up until a month ago, the best Telus could offer was 6Mbps to my house. I have Broadband 100 with Shaw. Anyways, the guy stated "This means Telus can now offer you up to 50Mbps!"

To my understanding, Telus's 50mbps service uses doubled up twisted pair, as opposed to actual fiber optic lines. Telus refers to this as "Optik" (notice the k). Anyways, when he said "Directly to your house" I asked what he meant by this. He said "Shaw runs lines house to house, and this makes your connection slow". Now i'm no expert on infrastructure, but I do understand infrastructure in general, and it would be impossible for 100 houses to all have a direct line going straight to Telus's main center. This seems to just be a marketting technique, as when I asked him where the lines went direct to, he said "your house" and when I asked where it came direct from, he said "underground". Obviously he's a salesman and doesn't actually understand what he's selling beyond the buzz words he was trained on.

Anyways, I told him I had 100Mbps with my current provider, and he told me to run a speedtest to see what I was actually getting (because according to him i'm sharing my connection with my neighbourhood). i got 98Mbps. He left in a hurry.
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

Yeah maybe I shouldn't have said "no warning". If the bill is identical every month I don't drill down into the details, but they should think about putting some info in the bill that changed - they KNOW we'll be looking at that one in detail.

The only thing I know about Shaw versus DSL is that Telus has really been flogging the "saturated node" argument. It's definitely their go-to attack on Shaw, but I've seen the same thing - consistent high speed on Shaw. Plus a horror story from a friend on Telus getting billed for overage, while Shaw never cares. From what I understand Shaw is upgrading all of their nodes to digital to remove free cable hookups as well as hugely ramping up capacity - so your neighbours usage won't impact you anyway, no moreso than Telus anyway (ie. at some point connections converge and theoretically there's a bottleneck for a ddos) but day to day use will be stable. I've never heard first or second hand about a shaw slowdown as it is, I think the 1% who have a problem are just very very vocal.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It generally is the ones who have problems being the most vocal.
I have never had trouble since moving to Telus (years ago) while I constantly had problems with Shaw's service and billing.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Omnitheo wrote:If you have a problem with your service, it helps to contact the service provider to have them resolve the issue. Switching providers doesn't necessarily resolve any issue.

I have been on the phone or internet chat with my provider every month for the last 5 months and it still isn't resolved! That's what is driving me to consider changing as well as from a little research I can save $700+ the first year and $300+ each year after.

For someone on a fixed income that is pretty compelling.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”