Shaw VS Telus Optik

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Shaw VS Telus Optik

Post by Logitack »

I am on the broadband 100 plan. My cable bill was reaching the $200 mark so i started cutting tv channels (the $10 add on channels) and was going to reduce internet from broadband 100 to 50. The shaw rep advised me that I was grandfathered in on the 100 rate, did I still want to go to the 50 plan?

so there is an example of shaw not ripping a customer off.... (full disclosure: i am not a shaw employee ;))
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Jlabute wrote:Fiber is definitely a good way to go. I am currently on Shaw since many years back Telus told me to go to Shaw...lol. Long story. They were charging me business internet to my residence.

Anyways, I have an issue with Shaw that has been festering in my head since the installation of our digital cable box. The installer came by and put digital cable boxes in for two TVs. He noticed we had 50mb internet (grandfathered in at the old rate of $55). He told my wife (who is not the account owner) that 50mb is way too fast, 25mb is all we need... and convinced my wife to take the slower internet. If we didn't like it... we could just go back to 50mb. My wife agreed. She was not told we would lose our grandfathered status... I wasn't even there to know what was happening. So SHAW went ahead and gave us 25mb. When I got home... I noticed right away the internet was slower and within a day called Shaw back. They said 50mb was now $80. We've lost our grandfathered internet speed and it is 'impossible' to get it back.

In my mind... this is total absolute trickery they are using to swindle people from a better service. The cost of 25mb now is what I had with 50mb before... the question of switching should not even have come up in conversation knowing that we would only be getting a slower speed and saving no money!!! Shaw has ripped us off royally and since we don't want to pay $80 a month for internet... the gamers in the house are dealing with slower speeds, less joyful gaming, and streaming sucks. This was un-ethical. Has anyone else had this happen? So watch out.
Jeff

I'd be down at their office ripping them all a new u know what . That is so underhanded it aint funny .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Loed wrote:Fiber is a nice step(Telus has already run a dark fiber run to my house), but if companies like Shaw, Rogers, Comcast, etc... start to actually improve on their infrastructure with the new standards...

I'm going to go with the company that gives me the future today. You can wait for the company that maybe someday might upgrade their aging network. Life is too short.

Maybe if Shaw cuts Jim Shaw's $16,000 per day pension, they maybe someday might be able to afford to get started.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Partmanpartfish wrote:I'm going to go with the company that gives me the future today. You can wait for the company that maybe someday might upgrade their aging network. Life is too short.

You mean the company that currently cannot compete(internet speed wise) and will be charging people an excessive dollar amount for any amount that they go over the very small usage cap?

I guess that's a future for some. I'll keep my Telus connection as my redundancy, Shaw will be my main connection still for some time to come.

At least this proves you don't fully understand what's going on behind the scenes.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Well, not everyone has a job with an ISP.

I'm just pleased as punch that I'm not with any of the top players. Better service + cheaper price, even with my unlimited transfer limit.
Your bias suits you.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Partmanpartfish wrote:I'm going to go with the company that gives me the future today. You can wait for the company that maybe someday might upgrade their aging network. Life is too short.

Loed wrote:You mean the company that currently cannot compete(internet speed wise) and will be charging people an excessive dollar amount for any amount that they go over the very small usage cap?

I guess that's a future for some. I'll keep my Telus connection as my redundancy, Shaw will be my main connection still for some time to come.

At least this proves you don't fully understand what's going on behind the scenes.

Well, son, I guess Telus can compete because they're gaining TV and internet customers, while Shaw is losing them. This should become more pronounced over the next little while; have you seen all of those fibre optic trucks around town?

But I'm cool with you keeping the same coax wires grampa had. I'd suggest you buy some Shaw stock, also.

Someone sure doesn't know what's going on behind the scenes.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Have you looked at the Telus trials in PG with punishing usage caps, and even more punishing overage fees?

Having fiber doesn't instantly change how company handles itself or it's offerings. For Telus adsl is expensive to maintain and pushout enmass. Fiber is cheaper in the long run and allows them a little more head room in the times to come. It doesn't mean they are changing their packages and lowering their prices...

We have a duopoly in BC, both companies lose/win customers at a very steady pace of back and forth. The churn never ceases and competition here doesn't exist.

Look at Olds, for example, Telus and Shaw cannot compete there with internet. They didn't do anything to change or be competitive. They don't want to be competitive, they want to be your only options so they can gouge you and make more profit.

Also, I would argue, anyone who still watches TV the conventional way is far more out of touch than someone who understands the delivery technology.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Loed wrote:Have you looked at the Telus trials in PG with punishing usage caps, and even more punishing overage fees?

You need to get your facts straight.

Telus is very gently nudging people who have minimal (ie 10GB/month) plans and expect to use Netflix 24/7.

I know there are Shaw fanboys out there, but we should all be happy there is at least some competition, finally.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

Partmanpartfish wrote:
I know there are Shaw fanboys out there, but we should all be happy there is at least some competition, finally.

oh puuuulease, telus and shaw have always been "competitive" in their prices. right now, telus is $5 cheaper than shaw in their internet packages.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Partmanpartfish wrote:You need to get your facts straight.

Telus is very gently nudging people who have minimal (ie 10GB/month) plans and expect to use Netflix 24/7.

You're pretty out of touch with the current reality. Have fun with those blinders!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29443665-Prince-George-area-charge-for-overage-Nov-2014-maybe.

This is in trials and what I am talking about. Nothing at all to do with what you're trying to cover it up with.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Options (Home phone & internet at least)
A) Shaw
B) Telus
C) Neither Ding, ding, ding

Investigate all possible options first.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I haven't followed this thread at all but I just thought I'd say that I got not one but TWO notices, exactly identical, touting the fact that TELUS Fibre Optic Network is being made available to 90 per cent of Kelowna, right now.

Ohhhh good.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Loed wrote:You're pretty out of touch with the current reality. Have fun with those blinders!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29443665-Prince-George-area-charge-for-overage-Nov-2014-maybe.

This is in trials and what I am talking about. Nothing at all to do with what you're trying to cover it up with.

Yes, I know what you read on those hysterical forums. But the reality is, Telus isn't charging people for overusage. They are simply gently nudging the worst offenders into appropriate plans.

"Telus senior communications manager Shawn Hall said that, unlike some other internet providers, Telus doesn’t actually charge customers overage fees for exceeding their caps. Users who exceed their caps are encouraged to switch to a higher service plan."

I suggest you contact the above gentleman on twitter if you need to learn more. Forget about the gossip forums.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Logitack wrote:oh puuuulease, telus and shaw have always been "competitive" in their prices. right now, telus is $5 cheaper than shaw in their internet packages.

So you're saying Shaw's TV/internet prices today would be the same if they didn't have competition from Telus? That's an interesting thought!

I just remember I dumped Shaw(TV) for Telus four years ago because my rates seemed to jump every month and my bills were getting unreasonable.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I have one channel, Netflix and NO cable bills! Amazing!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”