Shaw VS Telus Optik

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Shaw VS Telus Optik

Post by Loed »

Bsuds wrote:I did the research this morning and don't much care what you say anymore.

And yet, still, you refuse to state what options/packaging you've chosen so we can see this amazing difference in price!

I've already stated that there will be a difference, but the after promo pricing difference(again, the only price that actually matters in the long run) will be minimal, and there will be differences between the packages.

Thanks for proving me right.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Loed wrote:In ten years when you've been with Telus for that long. Try pulling the same maneuver.

We are a long time Telus customer , switched from their satellite product to their Optik product . I wasn't all that eager to switch but they tossed all the freebies and hi performance deals they had at me . No contract , no rental charges EVER on any of their hardware , promo price on both the internet and full TV package ( for one full year ) , with 3 stb's included. Plus if I'm not happy , the option of switching back to sat with NO contract either . Now that's loyalty .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

What's a stb?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Loed wrote:You're leaving a lot of information out, and really, I don't care.

10 posts later... yes, you do care, obviously. lol

[edit] I have only 1 post in this thread, for the record.

Typical humans just want someone to rally against and make them feel superior/smart in someway

Irony.
Last edited by Woodenhead on Aug 10th, 2014, 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Your bias suits you.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Woodenhead wrote:10 posts later... yes, you do care, obviously. lol

I care about as much as you do that made you post here. We all sit around and troll on castanet. ;)

Also, jeep guy, they offered you a loyalty package because you stated that you might leave. Guess what, there's just as many people with the same experience at various other competitors.

I find it hilarious that you people can't fathom how these companies are all the same. Typical humans just want someone to rally against and make them feel superior/smart in someway when reality is everyone is still getting played just as hard.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Back on track NOW. The OP asked for user insight on switching to Optik, not a war of words. I'm right, you're wrong; I know what I'm talking about, you don't doesn't tell him/her whether switching to Optik would be beneficial to them based on user experience.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Loed wrote:
Also, jeep guy, they offered you a loyalty package because you stated that you might leave. Guess what, there's just as many people with the same experience at various other competitors.

Show me where I said I might leave . I said I was hesitant to switch from Telus satellite to Telus Optik . You need to slow down and read the words .
blue5

Post by blue5 »

"i've been buying burgers at McDonalds for over 10 years. Doesn't mean they give me free burgers. I'm not sure what entitlement you're seeking. You likely received a promotional price as a new customer, as most new customers do when setting up utilities. Sounds like the provider has upheld their part of the arrangement by providing you with services for 20 years. The fact that they're even offering you a free month is pretty impressive".[/quote]

Shaw rep unveiled? This is interesting because Shaw said the same thing to me, almost exact same words in regards to the promotions. By the way we are not talking entitlement, we are talking about competition. Just like I choose not to eat at McDonald's and prefer to eat elsewhere for whatever reasons. Competition provides choices and I am thankful I have one.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 10th, 2014, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: challenged moderator
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Aug 10th, 2014, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

blue5 wrote:"i've been buying burgers at McDonalds for over 10 years. Doesn't mean they give me free burgers. I'm not sure what entitlement you're seeking. You likely received a promotional price as a new customer, as most new customers do when setting up utilities. Sounds like the provider has upheld their part of the arrangement by providing you with services for 20 years. The fact that they're even offering you a free month is pretty impressive".

Shaw rep unveiled? This is interesting because Shaw said the same thing to me, almost exact same words in regards to the promotions. By the way we are not talking entitlement, we are talking about competition. Just like I choose not to eat at McDonald's and prefer to eat elsewhere for whatever reasons. Competition provides choices and I am thankful I have one.

I have friends that work for both companies. And generally feel the same regarding both of them, or any ISP for that matter. I like following Consumerist and especially the current controversy regarding Comcast and Time Warner. It's just nice to rage about/against canadian companies every now and then.

That said, I do have Shaw, and I do have a much higher level of service with them than Telus is even able to offer. (gateway with 4 portals, broadband 100) I made sure to do my research before picking.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

The Shaw guys can keep their 140 year old coax cable. I'm going with fibre.

https://fibre.telus.com/kelowna
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Partmanpartfish wrote:The Shaw guys can keep their 140 year old coax cable. I'm going with fibre.

https://fibre.telus.com/kelowna

You mean, that 140 year old copper cable that has vastly more potential than what the big corporations want us to think?

http://www.lightreading.com/cable-video/docsis/docsis-31-whats-next/d/d-id/708425

Fiber is a nice step(Telus has already run a dark fiber run to my house), but if companies like Shaw, Rogers, Comcast, etc... start to actually improve on their infrastructure with the new standards...
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Fiber is definitely a good way to go. I am currently on Shaw since many years back Telus told me to go to Shaw...lol. Long story. They were charging me business internet to my residence.

Anyways, I have an issue with Shaw that has been festering in my head since the installation of our digital cable box. The installer came by and put digital cable boxes in for two TVs. He noticed we had 50mb internet (grandfathered in at the old rate of $55). He told my wife (who is not the account owner) that 50mb is way too fast, 25mb is all we need... and convinced my wife to take the slower internet. If we didn't like it... we could just go back to 50mb. My wife agreed. She was not told we would lose our grandfathered status... I wasn't even there to know what was happening. So SHAW went ahead and gave us 25mb. When I got home... I noticed right away the internet was slower and within a day called Shaw back. They said 50mb was now $80. We've lost our grandfathered internet speed and it is 'impossible' to get it back.

In my mind... this is total absolute trickery they are using to swindle people from a better service. The cost of 25mb now is what I had with 50mb before... the question of switching should not even have come up in conversation knowing that we would only be getting a slower speed and saving no money!!! Shaw has ripped us off royally and since we don't want to pay $80 a month for internet... the gamers in the house are dealing with slower speeds, less joyful gaming, and streaming sucks. This was un-ethical. Has anyone else had this happen? So watch out.
Jeff
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”