Shaw VS Telus Optik

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Shaw VS Telus Optik

Post by Loed »

Bsuds wrote:I'm sure they all prefer paying more!

Incorrect.

They prefer paying appropriately for the cost to deliver/associated profit margins.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

It's taken telus almost a decade to get thier service to the curb. Having a thin three pair cable that went directly from the central office to homes wasn't enough for the bandwidth they required to provide tv signals. They spent 100's of millions on their network to create mini central offices to extend fibre to every neighborhood so the length they depended on the 3 pair cable was short enough to manage the bandwidth. Even then the experiment looked like it was going to fail as it took another 5 years to work out the bugs. Entwhistle, telus' CEO, is not a patient man and had many high level managers quaking for years. Know a few who ended up going to GTE to escape the wrath of Entwhistle. Have to give credit to telus for sticking with it as thier service is comparable to shaw's even though they didn't have the benefit of coax. That being said I choose to go with shaw but my folks are with telus and they've had no problems.

Both of these companies however are involved in price fixing with the lack of true competition. Even when their costs decreased the saving wasn't passed onto the customer because both marketing departments are careful not to reprice the market. In fact the goal for both was to take a bigger portion of your wallet and both have been successful. Only have to look at the performance of telus stock over the last 10 years to see they've achieved thier goal.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Bsuds wrote:I'm sure they all prefer paying more!

I know I sure do!

(Loed's wrong. Reason: me.)
Your bias suits you.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Woodenhead wrote:I know I sure do!

(Loed's wrong. Reason: me.)

Which is why you went with Teksavvy?

Large upfront cost, and then a reasonable monthly cost afterwards that properly reflects the cost to deliver...

Power users are willing to pay a little bit more to get what they want. Case in point, you.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Nope, it was cheaper.
Your bias suits you.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

Telus has been working in my neighbourhood every day for almost 3 weeks putting in the new fiber optic cables and I see their trucks all over town. I imagine it's a costly undertaking! My telus service has always been super fast, so I imagine they must be anticipating future needs? Why are they investing so heavily in upgrading the communications infrastructure?
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

annexi wrote: Why are they investing so heavily in upgrading the communications infrastructure?

Upgrade to handle increase in traffic or go out of business. You don't stay in business by stagnating.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

Bsuds wrote:
Upgrade to handle increase in traffic or go out of business. You don't stay in business by stagnating.

The depth of the 'turf war' for connection supremacy is getting silly.

The under qualified Telus techs knocked out my connection when upgrading the neighbor to fiber optic. Budget. The guys didn't even have a ladder. Sliding down my neighbour's roof then using his patio awning as a brace to traverse the roof line. Why are they sending out 4 kids in minivans with such a flim-flam operation? Granted it's not the kids fault but really.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”