Shaw VS Telus Optik

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Shaw VS Telus Optik

Post by Loed »

lol wut

"Re: Shaw VS Telus Optik
Post by Bsuds » Yesterday, 1:43 pm

I have been on the phone or internet chat with my provider every month for the last 5 months and it still isn't resolved! That's what is driving me to consider changing as well as from a little research I can save $700+ the first year and $300+ each year after.

For someone on a fixed income that is pretty compelling.
Post by Bsuds » Feb 16th, 2014, 4:02 pm

It generally is the ones who have problems being the most vocal.
I have never had trouble since moving to Telus (years ago) while I constantly had problems with Shaw's service and billing."

Make up your mind, who are you having issues with? Have you actually told them what the issues are, or are they just simple PC issues that you blame on them?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Since I've been in the OK (25 years) I've had the large dish, then the small dish (cable wasn't available)

I Moved into Kelowna and kept my dish with Star Choice (they later sold out to Shaw).

The biggest problem with a dish is snow. I guess there are covers that you can get that usually stop snow from accumulating, I don't know how well they work. Going out for the evening to a Rocket's game and coming home to find your favorite TV show didn't record because the dish filled up with snow.

Anyway I had Shaw for internet, loved it.

Moved and purchased Shaw everything. Cable, internet and phone. Great, great service. I was a happy customer. Cost a fair amount but I had great viewing, reliable. If I had a problem, their service was fantastic.

Ironically, one day I was surfing around and noticed that Telus and other providers supplied CTV Vancouver in high definition. It has bugged me that on my high def TVs that when I watch CTV Vancouver (especially for their news) it was in a smaller box with a large black border.

I'd always thought it was strange that I could get the "Aboriginal Peoples Television Network" in HD, but couldn't get my time zone's HD feed for the largest TV network in Canada ????

I went on to Shaw's Customer Service Forum site. I started reading up on what Shaw customers were saying. I learned a lot.

Talk about a BAD idea for Shaw. Instead of Shaw promoting discussion, they delete, edit, and lock threads when the comments aren't positive toward Shaw. Even polite constructive suggestions can be deleted or edited.

What I did learn from the site that from a customer relation's perspective, in my opinion, Shaw is going down hill and picking up speed.

Oh, and CTV Vancouver HD ? All they'll say is "fill out a request form". I wonder how many 1000s of BC Interior customer, who wonder why CTV Vancouver is not available in HD would be surprised to learn that they must send in a request. They won't discuss how many requests they have or need, or any time frame of when CTV HD will be supplied or even if it ever will.

Wow, you get CHBC's News "amateur hour" in HD, but not CTV Vancouver ? Now, who is it that owns Global,,, oh ya, Shaw.

Leaves me to wonder how many requests they received for them to supply the "Aboriginal Peoples Television Network" in HD.

Telus Optik is looking pretty good, and they do supply CTV Vancr in HD.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Loed wrote:lol wut

"Re: Shaw VS Telus Optik
Post by Bsuds » Yesterday, 1:43 pm

I have been on the phone or internet chat with my provider every month for the last 5 months and it still isn't resolved! That's what is driving me to consider changing as well as from a little research I can save $700+ the first year and $300+ each year after.

For someone on a fixed income that is pretty compelling.
Post by Bsuds » Feb 16th, 2014, 4:02 pm

It generally is the ones who have problems being the most vocal.
I have never had trouble since moving to Telus (years ago) while I constantly had problems with Shaw's service and billing."

Make up your mind, who are you having issues with? Have you actually told them what the issues are, or are they just simple PC issues that you blame on them?

First off we are talking 2 different services here. I have Telus for internet and phone and Bell for TV. I have had issues with Bell trying to return a rental PVR. Their system was saying I owned the PVR so they wouldn't/couldn't authorize the return. Now that it is finally in their possession I am still being billed for it. I have spent many hours trying to get this resolved and am frustrated enough to change.

As far as Shaw is concerned, I agree as I had billing issues with them as well and am not inclined to return to them. They are also the most expensive of the 3.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

If by most expensive you mean the same price after promo hopping, then sure. Yup.

Something to remember service varies per carrier, per area. That's why threads like this make me laugh.

My experience downtown is going to be different than yours in black mountain. People need to remember that.

At their core, they are all the same, and aside from useless promo hopping the cost the same too.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Loed wrote:At their core, they are all the same, and aside from useless promo hopping the cost the same too.

I agree except for a few features that are different depending on the carrier. We have been with Bell for a long time and have had many opportunities to work with their customer service. I know the PVR set up as well or better than some of their reps. lol

Time for a change and hopefully will have a good experience with Optik. All though wasn't impressed with the ESL rep this morning. Both my wife and I had trouble understanding him. lol
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Bsuds wrote:I agree except for a few features that are different depending on the carrier. We have been with Bell for a long time and have had many opportunities to work with their customer service. I know the PVR set up as well or better than some of their reps. lol

Time for a change and hopefully will have a good experience with Optik. All though wasn't impressed with the ESL rep this morning. Both my wife and I had trouble understanding him. lol

All Telus' first line reps are out-sourced, so get used to that if you tend to call in regularly.

Feature wise, that's just the hardware, and(again), very little is different between the providers.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Loed wrote:
All Telus' first line reps are out-sourced, so get used to that if you tend to call in regularly.

Feature wise, that's just the hardware, and(again), very little is different between the providers.

I've had Telus Optik + internet for four years now and haven't had any problems. I've contacted those foreign first line reps twice via chat--once to add a package and the second time to activate a STB--and they handled this efficiently. I don't know about billing problems, because since I dropped Shaw, I haven't had any.

I believe IPTV and Shaw's ancient cable system are quite a bit different and IPTV has greater capacity for new features. I can program my DVR from my phone and watch TV on my iPad, for exxample. Not sure if Shaw offers these features yet.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Partmanpartfish wrote:I've had Telus Optik + internet for four years now and haven't had any problems. I've contacted those foreign first line reps twice via chat--once to add a package and the second time to activate a STB--and they handled this efficiently. I don't know about billing problems, because since I dropped Shaw, I haven't had any.

I believe IPTV and Shaw's ancient cable system are quite a bit different and IPTV has greater capacity for new features. I can program my DVR from my phone and watch TV on my iPad, for example. Not sure if Shaw offers these features yet.

Billing problems exist on both(all) carriers.

Both providers are pushing for IPTV because it's the future.

Ancient cable system it may be, it's still the cheaper and most capable last mile infrastructure. Which is why Telus is invest in fiber big time.

Shaw has those features available with one of their systems, and all carriers have the ability to use apps to push content to mobile devices.

Again, all carriers are the same when you compare the packaging apples to apples. I'm glad you've had a good experience with Telus over Shaw, just means my stocks keep going up!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Loed wrote:Billing problems exist on both(all) carriers.

Very true and what can set one Company apart from another will be the way a problem is rectified.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

And that's not up to the carrier specifically, but more so up to the rep you get at the time of the issue.

;)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

And if you talk to 5 different reps who all state they have rectified the issue and it is still there on the next bill then who is at fault?
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Those reps for not doing their job.

These people have avenues available to them in order to ensure that they accomplish the simple tasks their job allots them.

This would be one of those simple tasks as I'm very sure your billing error was either self-caused or a very simple fix(they all are).

Laziness has nothing to do with the company. The problem lies in identifying these trouble reps, as well as the fact that in a call center environment you never take what the customer says straight out. There's a lot of vindictive people out there, so you have to be really careful with how harshly you follow procedure when it comes to making sure things were done.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Or there is a systemic problem with the company to start with.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Bsuds wrote:Or there is a systemic problem with the company to start with.

Nope. Your inherent problem is the fact that you want to blame a multi-thousand staffed company for the problems you've had with tiny little rep issues.

The companies by and large have processes, walk-through's and support staff ready to help people that do not know how to function in their roles.

It is the fault of the individual when they are unable to utilize these avenues to effect positive change in their role.

You want to blame the company? That's pretty petty and narrow-minded. Not to mention completely out of touch of reality and the logic of the situation.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You believe whatever you want but they lost me as a customer by not being able to correct the problem with 3 trys.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”