Google Glass is almost here

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Woodenhead
Guru

Google Glass is almost here

Post by Woodenhead »

Your bias suits you.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Google Glass is almost here

Post by Poindexter »

That's freekin cool.

Google's stock went down again today but if this is on the horizon it may be a good time to buy.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Great, so now you can be distracted everywhere you go, and people can see exactly what you see. I wonder what kind of stuff Google has in their privacy policy about them connecting to you whenever they want?

Hopefully people remember to switch it off when they go to the bathroom.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
zensiert
Board Meister

Post by zensiert »

You know, you could have so much fun with Google Glass, especially trolling and pranking people.

Imagine this:
You see some shmuck walking down the street with those ridiculous glasses on. You walk up behind him, and before he can react, you yell into his glasses, "Google Glasses - internet search, safe search off. Search images for goatse, show first 50 results."

And then you run off giggling uncontrollably. Some things, once seen, cannot be unseen.
I am insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

LOL Well, I don't think anyone under the age of 30 hasn't seen "goatse". But yeah!

With Glass being an HUD, I don't see it as being overly distracting. Heck, some vehicles have an HUD displayed on the windshield (speedometer etc.) and I don't think it distracts fighter pilots too much, either. And remember, this is just the first version. Wait until the 3rd or 4th, plus competitors... Things like this will get smaller & more powerful - I can see them being quite handy & convenient. An IRL HUD :) However, privacy takes another hit - it's easier to see someone recording you with a phone than with a pair of glasses, for example... Advancing technology keeps making ethics more interesting.
Your bias suits you.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Those HUDs display information relevant to the vehicle you're operating though. The last clip looks like a guy receiving and sending messages, so I'd be curious to see if they place any speed restrictions, etc on them. I'm sure they'll be neat in certain situations, but most of the time I doubt there's any relevant information you could have up there.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

...and in a few more years we can modify our eyes to have this installed like a app.

+1
zensiert
Board Meister

Post by zensiert »

Woodenhead wrote:LOL Well, I don't think anyone under the age of 30 hasn't seen "goatse". But yeah!

...and it's going to be the people in my own age group and above whom I am going to traumatize once they get Google Glasses. You are right -- a lot of people in their first few decades don't know what goatse is, but even those who are computer geeks in their forties and above still miss out on stuff.
I am insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Just like anything related to high tech technology - the idea is outstanding, the possible benefits are endless, the break through technology is fantastic.

But people will use it to pointlessly waste time and watch cat videos.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

Queen K wrote:Goatse?

Trust me on this one, do NOT do a Google image search on that term. As she said, what has been seen cannot be unseen, no matter how much brain bleach you happen to have on hand.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

A wikipedia search will be adequate.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

underscore wrote:Those HUDs display information relevant to the vehicle you're operating though.

If you're talking about being distracting, what you said doesn't really mean anything. o_O

A neat point about HUDs - your eyes don't change focus to see them.
Your bias suits you.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Woodenhead wrote:If you're talking about being distracting, what you said doesn't really mean anything. o_O

A neat point about HUDs - your eyes don't change focus to see them.

Yes it does. A car with a HUD shows you thing pertaining to the car. Whereas this could be popping up someone twitter feed. You don't need to lose visual focus to lose mental focus.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

That is no different than anything else, though. Reading a billboard, changing radio stations, talking to a passenger, daydreaming, thinking about what to make for dinner... o_O
Your bias suits you.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

So why has cellphone use in your car been banned then?

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”