Sell me on Netflix.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
underscore
Übergod

Re: Sell me on Netflix.

Post by underscore »

Queen K wrote:I people like sex, violence, erotica and torture packaged up to look like it's suitable for kids, then hey, Netflix has lots of Anime. And just to say, I found out the hard way and need eye bleach. My nephew's fb page looked like it was going the way of Anime, so I thought I'd check it out, see what his nine year old brain is seeing. ACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

Have you considered looking at the rating or summary for a show before watching it? Not all anime contains violence etc, but some of the shows on the adult Netflix (ie the regular one) do, you can put age restrictions on Netflix and the kids side of it is great for anyone <12 years old. If you didn't look up the specific anime he is watching then you really have no clue what he is seeing.

Seriously, assuming something is suitable for kids because of the format it was created in (or on the flipside, assuming that it isn't for the same reason) is like letting a kid watch American Pie because you thought it was a baking documentary.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Underscore, seeing that I don't have kids in this house I don't personally need to do any of those things you outlined.

But it is a good recommendation for those who do have kids. I am hoping that in the situation in the Philippines that my neice and nephew's shows are being vetted properly, or I can only hope so.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

The restrictions no, although it is helpful if you ever have children over (I've got a guest account set up on Netflix for kids even though I don't have any, the account would've been unused anyways so I figured why not) but that was more of a general statement. You should probably check the ratings and summary of a show before you slam an entire medium though.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Underscore, I'm not slamming an ENTIRE medium, I'm saying that a lot of parents may be sucked into the look of anime, the big eyes, the ponytails, the cute outfits and fail to understand that each and every show has to be vetted for their standards.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:Underscore, I'm not slamming an ENTIRE medium, I'm saying that a lot of parents may be sucked into the look of anime, the big eyes, the ponytails, the cute outfits and fail to understand that each and every show has to be vetted for their standards.

LOL - we've watched anime for decades before our kids did - I check out what they're watching and then we sit down and talk about it (and then they complain that just like their music, I'm "ruining" it for them because I make them think about themes and what it is promoting in the way of behaviour or stereotypes).

I'm almost tempted to try netflix depending on what kind of anime they access - I have yet to see Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Titles I'd recommend are Cowboy BeBop, Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (and the follow ups: 2nd Gig and Solid State Society).

Can one find out what titles they carry before they commit?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You can come over here and we'll go over them.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Lady tehMa wrote:
Can one find out what titles they carry before they commit?

You don't really have to commit. Everyone starts with a one month free trial. If you don't like their offerings, you can cancel. I don't believe they do term contracts either, so even if you kept the service after the trial, you could still cancel at any time.

If you do a little googling though, you should be able to get an idea of what they have.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Lady tehMa wrote:Can one find out what titles they carry before they commit?

https://signup.netflix.com/BrowseSelection
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

In response to the title of this thread I have no idea how to sell you on Netflix but I do know how to sell you on Craigslist.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Nelalen

Post by Nelalen »

Even if you aren't quite satisfied with the choices on Canadian Netflix you can always install a little add-on for Mozilla Firefox called Media Hint. Basically it gives you access to the US side of Netflix which gives you Canadian + US shows. Definitely better variety. Me and my SO haven't had TV hooked up for ages we just use an old laptop and get decent quality shows for cheap!
Dave_1963
Banned

Post by Dave_1963 »

Tried Netflix, but of the 50 some odd movies I tried to watch, ALL were "unavailable". These were not top-tier, less than 1 year old movies either. I tried to watch the original "Woodstock" from 1970, "not available", Duel, starring Dennis Weaver from 1971, "not available", and one of Sean Penn's first movies "Bad Boys" from the early '80's-"not available". So, even though $8/month ain't gonna break the bank, if there are no movies I want to watch, no thanks. However, if you are a fan of British Documentaries, Netflix is really good. For some, Netflix is a really good deal, with plenty of content (heck, they have all the Breaking Bad episodes which AMC on demand does NOT have, at least on Telus). I really liked that show, but already have all the episodes on my PVR. Your best bet is to give the 1 month free trial a go to see if Netflix meets your viewing preferences. Now, all I'm waiting for is Harper to force the cable companies to stop "bundling" channels. I only watch maybe 15 channels, but am forced to pay for about 150 due to these stupid cable companies bundling the 1 channel I want with 8 that I don't!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Dave_1963 wrote: Now, all I'm waiting for is Harper to force the cable companies to stop "bundling" channels. I only watch maybe 15 channels, but am forced to pay for about 150 due to these stupid cable companies bundling the 1 channel I want with 8 that I don't!

You and me both but I doubt that will ever happen. It's all business and mind games, as they know many of the crap channels stuck into bundles wouldn't have any subscribers, if they had to pay for them individually.

This way they can BS the masses and say "look this channel has 2 million subscribers". The fact that those subscribers simply skip over said channels in an act of utter annoyance is completely ignored.

I believe that in Shaw's case even the way they set up their Guide is biased toward the unwanted crap, since you can't set it up to show only your favourite selections when you power on your TV. By default it always goes back to displaying all the stations, something that irritates the heck out of me. What's the point of having a favourites feature if you won't allow me to make it stick?

Back when I had StarChoice I could create a favourites list, name it what I wanted, then add all the channels that I wanted to display in it, and any time I turned on my TV or went to use the guide, that favourite list is what came up until such time as I changed it to something else. A far better approach to my thinking.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

If I could order the 5 channels I want for a reasonable price each month (maybe a buck or two each?) then I'd keep cable. Since I can't, forget it. Especially when the reruns most channels play are just the same 10 episodes of a show over and over again, even if the show was on the air for 20 years.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

underscore wrote:If I could order the 5 channels I want for a reasonable price each month

That would be ideal but unlikely. If I could just have the sports networks and local news I'd sign up but unfortunately Shaw still needs to pay for the empty building on Leckie.

Been using netflix US for some time and enjoying it. Missed out on Breaking Bad when originally broadcasted but have been able to watch the whole series on netflix. Just one of many in the library.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
KnoxVille450

Post by KnoxVille450 »

One thing I miss about not having cable is live sports, I know there are other ways to view sports but with a lot of hassle it seems. Best bang for your buck is to unlock the American Netflix and combine it with hulu plus for another 8ish bucks a month. Easiest way to unlock it is to use hola unblocker which is a quick download and once you have it any site you visit you can decide wether to view it in Canada or America. Hulu beats netflix hands down with tv as you are able to watch most shows the day they are released Ike nightly news and talk shows, but Netflix has the good movies. Like I said I am very happy with my tv right now but I would be completely sold if they provided sports.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”