Sell me on Netflix.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Sell me on Netflix.

Post by JayByrd »

Thanks everyone for the excellent info and advice.

As I understand it, TV series (Breaking Bad for example) are available, but they are released a season at a time, sort of like a DVD release. If I want to watch it week by week as it airs, I'll still need to be downloading it. For that reason I might still consider using a laptop so I can forgo the flash drive.

Live sports (well hockey anyway) are one thing we'd miss, but with the NHL GameCenter service (which would also come through the laptop) we'd get more than we're getting now. While the cost is substantial ($150/yr) it would still be cheaper than cable in the long run.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

JayByrd wrote:Live sports (well hockey anyway) are one thing we'd miss, but with the NHL GameCenter service (which would also come through the laptop) we'd get more than we're getting now. While the cost is substantial ($150/yr) it would still be cheaper than cable in the long run.

Yes, and forget about current events and news coverage. It's more like having a substantial disc library at your disposal. I cancelled cable when my home service hit $75. a month and there was nothing good to watch. I survive quite handily for three years on downloads and discs, and only hooked the cable back up when a renter offered to cover the cost. At that point I kicked out the extra for the HBO/Movie Channel package, but my monthly bill is creeping back up near $200 a month. If the renter moved out I don't think it would be long before I cut back again.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Just a few examples of what they have for TV shows:

Breaking Bad: 5 seasons
24: 7 seasons
Californication: 3 seasons
Archer: 3 seasons
Homeland: 1 season

So if you're not already caught up on shows, there's plenty to keep you busy for a long time.

New seasons get released quite long after the seasons end on regular TV. But it's a cheap and easy way to get caught up on a lot of shows (at least within a season or two of what's current). There are a few Netflix Original Series that are great that you can't get anywhere else... Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Hemlock Grove, Arrested Development Season 4, etc...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Mad Men!

Don't forget Mad Men! One of the best shows yet.

I'm hoping for more seasons to show up. One of the fun parts of watching Mad Men is watching for all the norms of the 60's and how 40 years later the norms have been turned up side down. So many we lost count.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

JayByrd wrote:Live sports (well hockey anyway) are one thing we'd miss, but with the NHL GameCenter service (which would also come through the laptop) we'd get more than we're getting now. While the cost is substantial ($150/yr) it would still be cheaper than cable in the long run.

fluffy wrote:Yes, and forget about current events and news coverage. It's more like having a substantial disc library at your disposal. I cancelled cable when my home service hit $75. a month and there was nothing good to watch. I survive quite handily for three years on downloads and discs, and only hooked the cable back up when a renter offered to cover the cost. At that point I kicked out the extra for the HBO/Movie Channel package, but my monthly bill is creeping back up near $200 a month. If the renter moved out I don't think it would be long before I cut back again.

The news you can watch online, in some ways it's better because you can watch the clip about the article you're interested in, and skip ones you don't care about.

For sports, some live content can be streamed online (would need a PC) and most games can be downloaded via torrents if you're someone who recorded them anyways. The best part of watching recorded sports is you can save a lot of time, I think hockey games are about an hour shorter once you remove the intermissions and commercial breaks. If you're getting the NHL GameCenter, check which devices have programs for it if you want to go with a standalone box, I'm pretty sure the PS3 supports it but I'm not sure which others do.

One question for anyone with GameCenter: Is it like Nexflix, where more than one user can be logged into an account at a time? If I could split that with my parents as well I'd likely sign up.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I like that it's loosened the strangle hold the cable companies have had for too long. But, between services like Netflix and the proliferation of downloading there has been some considerable collateral damage like the video rental industry as we once knew it.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

fluffy wrote:I like that it's loosened the strangle hold the cable companies have had for too long. But, between services like Netflix and the proliferation of downloading there has been some considerable collateral damage like the video rental industry as we once knew it.

Rental industry died because they got too greedy. $8 to rent a movie, plus all those fees. Who would want to rent at those rates when other, more affordable, easier access options are available (streaming, downloading etc). They fell behind the times and still charged too much.

Cable is now headed that way too - greedy, charging way too much, and still bombarding us with a plethora of unwanted ads. Now that other options are becoming available. If they don't change something soon, they'll end up like blockbuster.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'm impressed with their original content. Orange is the New Black is very good. I also like the selection of documentaries. It's well worth the 8 bucks a month.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was going to say, "for 8 bux/month what do you want?" Anything recommended is not for everybody. I hated Dexter. And I hate Breaking Bad.

I people like sex, violence, erotica and torture packaged up to look like it's suitable for kids, then hey, Netflix has lots of Anime. And just to say, I found out the hard way and need eye bleach. My nephew's fb page looked like it was going the way of Anime, so I thought I'd check it out, see what his nine year old brain is seeing. ACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

Documentaries are good, I like the dinosaur stuff.

Of course it's Summer now and we don't watch nearly what we used to.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

We ditched our shaw cable about a year ago for Netflix and haven't looked back. We love it! It may not have all of the up to date series, but there is a ton of stuff to watch...we are never at a loss for something to see. There are lots of 1+ year older series that we never got to see that we get to sit down and watch now - no commercials and stop and pick up whenever you like.

Their documentaries are awesome as well.

Personally, I would highly recommend it!
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Nice timing on this thread. My wife and I were just discussing ditching cable. Based on comments here, I think we'll save some $$$ and use Netflix.

Alternatively, there are other sites that offer free movies and tv programming. Anyone have suggestions in this regards?

Cheers,

Steve
cawilson

Post by cawilson »

I think the prices of cable or sat is mind blowing this is why i watch alot of my tv online but was unhappy with the tv boxs i found in future shop or walmart. So i looked in to the a tv box that they call a Cable killer. It called a G-box midnight mx2 and you can order it online in canada. I bought one a month ago and only paid $159.00 tax and shipping included and the great thing about it is that it plugs right in to the tv its wifi and doesn't need to be jailbroken. if you would like more info G-box canada in new brunswick sells them. I love mine .
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Queen K, I see you too have discovered that just because a show is animated, does not mean it is suitable for, or even meant for, children. One thing I'm reluctant to give up is PBS and Knowledge Network, for my 2 yr old son. He doesn't watch much live TV but we do PVR a handful of shows for him. He doesn't usually ask for TV in general but he will sometimes ask for those shows. I know Netflix has a decent selection of children's programming, but I really like what we're able to provide for him now. He enjoys it, he's shown us that he's learning at least a little bit from it, and I'm satisfied that's it's not too mindless.

I'm having to remind myself too that ditching cable for Netflix doesn't have to be a lifelong commitment. If we find ourselves missing out on too much, Netflix can be cancelled and Shaw will always take us back...
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I once watched a Carebear show wondering what children were learning in those days. It happened to be an episode where the carebears were sad someone died and "wished" this person back to life. I'd give anything to see that episode again just to confirm the day I started to despise carebears.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

jennylives wrote:I'm impressed with their original content. Orange is the New Black is very good. I also like the selection of documentaries. It's well worth the 8 bucks a month.

Check out "House of Cards". Just an awesome show - Netflix original.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”